Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A marmite question

A marmite question

Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A marmite question

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry, mate. Best I can manage is a Pont l'Eveque and vin rouge.

Rather better, IMHO.
A Pont-l'Évêque will surely set off every airport security alarm known to man! I remember my dad trying to bring one home to the UK from a holiday in France - Mum made him tie it to the roofrack, she wouldn't have it inside the car. I love how it smells strong enough to put off the unsure, leaving all the more of the beautiful smooth creaminess for those who know better... yum yum.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A Pont-l'Évêque will surely set off every airport security alarm known to man! I remember my dad trying to bring one home to the UK from a holiday in France - Mum made him tie it to the roofrack, she wouldn't have it inside the car. I love how it smells strong enough to put off the unsure, leaving all the more of the beautiful smooth creaminess for those who know better... yum yum.
Yum, yum indeed. I hope you will be indescribably jealous to learn that the usine in Isingy-sur-mer, just a bit down the road from wor place, manufactures Pont l'Eveque under license, as well as its main Camembert line?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yum, yum indeed. I hope you will be indescribably jealous to learn that the usine in Isingy-sur-mer, just a bit down the road from wor place, manufactures Pont l'Eveque under license, as well as its main Camembert line?
How do they manage that, then? I thought Pont-l'Évêque was one of these AOC things, with protected status and only allowed to be manufactured in the immediate area. Isn't Isigny the other side of Caen and Bayeux from Pont l'E?

My curiosity (nay, downright indignation at the unfairness of it all) doesn't make me any less full of indescribable jealousy, though.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

This getting a bit Year in Provence............
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir

It could be worse...it could be a year in Chicoutimi
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:38 pm
Magnificently Withering

...and there was me thinking it was all getting a bit "you can't get decent cheese in Canada" - I'm expecting a plug for the St Lawrence Market cheese emporium any second now from dbd
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

...and there was me thinking it was all getting a bit "you can't get decent cheese in Canada" - I'm expecting a plug for the St Lawrence Market cheese emporium any second now from dbd
I have a complete round of raclet cheese in the car. French but I can't be more specific. That came from the aforementioned market this very morning.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a complete round of raclet cheese in the car. French but I can't be more specific. That came from the aforementioned market this very morning.
I bought Souvette a raclette machine, an expensive one, in March. I thought she'd be pleased.

It's still in the box.

One of her family will be getting a nice Xmas pressy, I imagine.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought Souvette a raclette machine, an expensive one, in March. I thought she'd be pleased.

It's still in the box.

One of her family will be getting a nice Xmas pressy, I imagine.
Shame. Ours gets heavy use in the winter.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Shame. Ours gets heavy use in the winter.
It's one of those cock-ups on the communication front. We went to a work do at a raclette/fondue place. She seemed to enjoy it.

On reflection, we have three fondue sets. We don't use them either.

It works both ways. Last Christmas I got a golf bag from the MIL, obviously because there was evident interest on my part in playing golf. That evidence was 30 minutes on a driving range near here.

The bag is useful for storing garden tools.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of those cock-ups on the communication front.
I wondered what happened to Reggie's brother in law.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

How do they manage that, then? I thought Pont-l'Évêque was one of these AOC things, with protected status and only allowed to be manufactured in the immediate area. Isn't Isigny the other side of Caen and Bayeux from Pont l'E?

My curiosity (nay, downright indignation at the unfairness of it all) doesn't make me any less full of indescribable jealousy, though.
Sorry, Oak, I missed your question as I was travelling that day. It is indeed AOC, but, as I said, the company Isigny St. Marie of Isigny sur mer, have negotiated an AOC licence to make it there as well. I don't know if some company has reciprocal rights to make AOC Camembert in Pont l'Eveque (which would make sense).
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kirstya
hmm so am to add marmite to the list as well as glaxay choc and decent deodrant sprays .....

anything else anyone thinks ???
I WOULD BRING WHITE AND BREAD SAUCE WITH YOU,IF YOU LIKE THESE WITH YOUR ROAST DINNNERS.AND BRING SUET IF YOU LIKE DUMPLINGS WITH YOUR STEWS,AND MAYBE READY BREAK IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by kastan
I WOULD BRING WHITE AND BREAD SAUCE WITH YOU,IF YOU LIKE THESE WITH YOUR ROAST DINNNERS.AND BRING SUET IF YOU LIKE DUMPLINGS WITH YOUR STEWS,AND MAYBE READY BREAK IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
Suet? That'll go down well with Customs/Agriculture Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Suet? That'll go down well with Customs/Agriculture Canada.
Send the filthy rogues back at the border. Then watch them snivel and complain.

ready brek FFS, are you people for real ? One can purchase a cereal breakfast here. We have grocery stores, and electricity ya know. Freaks.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.