Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

Originally Posted by rae
being depressed is underrated, there is a lot to be said for it. meh, for instance.
Wow, Rae, I was surprised to hear that from you.
Depression is awful. It's awful for the sufferer - and the sufferer's family. It can destroy people and their relationships. I'm speaking as someone who's reason to divorce his first wife started because of the way she handled her depression (alcoholism). Before evryone jumps down my throat - she wanted to return to Namibia (her home country) from the UK and the best solution was for us to divorce - but the road there was awful. For her, me and our son.
OK - you can't see depression. You can't but a band aid on it, or get a vaccination for it. But it is very real and the effects of it are very tangible. But believe me, people that have witnessed it first hand won't be saying "Meh".
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:33 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Savage love depresses me. All that, "experiment with putting it about" assumes everyone wants a variety of people and appliances shoved up their arse, it leaves no space for those of us who are happy with more conventional, dare I say, conservative, lives. It's unhelpful as advice and not witty enough to be tongues in cheeks.

no, his thing is rejecting your partner's need to be, say, tied up and whipped, for no good reason is not okay. if you and your partner are happy with your vanilla sex lives, then great! Savage is all over that.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 27th 2009 at 7:38 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hear hear - or is it here here!

any way - am feeling brighter this week - but just read that and concurred!
yay!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:25 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
Wow, Rae, I was surprised to hear that from you.
Depression is awful. It's awful for the sufferer - and the sufferer's family. It can destroy people and their relationships. I'm speaking as someone who's reason to divorce his first wife started because of the way she handled her depression (alcoholism). Before evryone jumps down my throat - she wanted to return to Namibia (her home country) from the UK and the best solution was for us to divorce - but the road there was awful. For her, me and our son.
OK - you can't see depression. You can't but a band aid on it, or get a vaccination for it. But it is very real and the effects of it are very tangible. But believe me, people that have witnessed it first hand won't be saying "Meh".
i was being glib. my apologies, though try not to take things too seriously on here. we are after all almost 20 pages in on the discussion of mutant spiders being worse than rabid bears.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
no, his thing is rejecting your partner's need to be, say, tied up and whipped, for no good reason is not okay. if you and your partner are happy with your vanilla sex lives, then great! Savage is all over that.
I don't read it that way at all, I think he's at all supportive of vanilla and wants to thrust chocolate fudge everywhere. It's tiresome and fails to acknowledge that a more conventional relationship is more sustainable. I find the column glib, he's the Jeremy Clarkson of multi-partner sex.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't read it that way at all, I think he's at all supportive of vanilla and wants to thrust chocolate fudge everywhere. It's tiresome and fails to acknowledge that a more conventional relationship is more sustainable. I find the column glib, he's the Jeremy Clarkson of multi-partner sex.
You think those letters are real? I always assumed it was like the Viz letterbocks.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You think those letters are real? I always assumed it was like the Viz letterbocks.
Mine was real.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was real.
You sent a letter? - you saddo
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You sent a letter? - you saddo
I didn't hand write it so not really a letter, no.