Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

This article was published in Vancouver's Georgia Straight newspaper today:

http://www.straight.com/article-2719...rt-life-canada
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Many Immigrants, Depression's a Part of Life in Canada

Originally Posted by Lychee
This article was published in Vancouver's Georgia Straight newspaper today:

http://www.straight.com/article-2719...rt-life-canada
They have serious articles? I thought everybody just read 'savage love' whilst waiting for their drink to be made in coffee shops.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

For many people depression is a part of life period. Being an immigrant dont make you special
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:41 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They have serious articles? I thought everybody just read 'savage love' whilst waiting for their drink to be made in coffee shops.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Or browsing the paraphilia personal ads eh?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Or browsing the paraphilia personal ads eh?
I don't even know what that means (not something I'm not about to google at work). The straight does seem to get a lot of advertising revenue from smut though.

Edit: Know what 'para' and 'philia' mean, but no idea what kind of perversion it refers to. Maybe all of them.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 26th 2009 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know what that means (not something I'm not about to google at work). The straight does seem to get a lot of advertising revenue from smut though.

Edit: Know what 'para' and 'philia' mean, but no idea what kind of perversion it refers to. Maybe all of them.
The SAS?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

A few members of this board will identify with the following snippets :

"... that even for the best-prepared, migration to Canada is a “potentially disruptive and stressful experience”

" ... Skilled immigrants to Canada arrive with a sense of adventure and optimism, only to be beaten down by sometimes insurmountable barriers to meaningful employment. As rejection notices pile up, frustration can build to the point of depression. And as the months drag on and savings dwindle, mental-health problems can develop and adversely affect a person’s ability to get a job and deal with the day-to-day challenges of life in a new country."

And many members will not identify with this at all. Let's not be flippant on this thread.

I do have a thought though - that if you have ever previously suffered from depression or any other mental health issues - and even if you are over that now - the likelihood that those thoughts can raise their ugly head again are probably quite high when you add the stresses of emigrating and all it entails. Make efforts to find support for yourself before it kicks in ....
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m

"... that even for the best-prepared, migration to Canada is a “potentially disruptive and stressful experience”

" ... Skilled immigrants to Canada arrive with a sense of adventure and optimism, only to be beaten down by sometimes insurmountable barriers to meaningful employment. As rejection notices pile up, frustration can build to the point of depression. And as the months drag on and savings dwindle, mental-health problems can develop and adversely affect a person’s ability to get a job and deal with the day-to-day challenges of life in a new country."

And many members will not identify with this at all. Let's not be flippant on this thread.

I do have a thought though - that if you have ever previously suffered from depression or any other mental health issues - and even if you are over that now - the likelihood that those thoughts can raise their ugly head again are probably quite high when you add the stresses of emigrating and all it entails. Make efforts to find support for yourself before it kicks in ....
I hear you loud and clear.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are feigning ignorance here.

The official def. goes something like, 'the sexuoerotic embellishment of, or alternative to the official, ideological norm.'
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly anne, you dont have to look too far on this forum for people who have felt like this.
Maybe not depression for most, but serious despondency a lot of the time.
Tina,
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you are feigning ignorance here.

The official def. goes something like, 'the sexuoerotic embellishment of, or alternative to the official, ideological norm.'
Well, that's why I read savage love while waiting for my coffee. Surely I'm not the only one who does this... am I?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hear hear - or is it here here!

any way - am feeling brighter this week - but just read that and concurred!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst many aspects of our immigration journey have been easy (sort of) and we are well settled, my OH is suffering again at the mo'. Only second crimbo without his parents and he is dreading the snow. This doesn't bode well from what I have read from other people, it's only our 5th winter and if he hates the thought of it and it's mild so far I dunno what's going to go on. I'm really worried about him but I'm sure we'll get through with or without a trip to the doc's.

My heart goes out to anyone that's suffering with depression or even just a loss of get up and go as my OH calls it.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Vancouver again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.