Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

manual or auto

manual or auto

Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: manual or auto

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Exactly..i loathe automatics..no control as to when you change gear...no low end ummpff when tearing away from the lights or overtaking..you control the car with a manual..its the one thing i miss here is the lack of manual cars to choose from..so im stuck with an automatic
I much prefer a manual for "spirited" driving (I enjoy the heel-and-toe, double-declutching necessity of an old motor with dodgy synchromesh cones...). Even my little Hyundai Accent can offer a surprising amount of fun on back roads, and provoke some raised eyebrows amongst the cart-sprung live-axle truck owners.

But it's not been the case for many years that you can't control when an autobox changes gear - up or down. My Honday Odyssey (over two tons of minivan) kicks down entirely predictably when overtaking and I can anticipate upchanges with only the slightest of throttle lift. It also kicks down on overrun when approaching junctions so there's plenty of grunt when the light turns green before you get there.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:18 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I much prefer a manual for "spirited" driving (I enjoy the heel-and-toe, double-declutching necessity of an old motor with dodgy synchromesh cones...). Even my little Hyundai Accent can offer a surprising amount of fun on back roads, and provoke some raised eyebrows amongst the cart-sprung live-axle truck owners.

But it's not been the case for many years that you can't control when an autobox changes gear - up or down. My Honday Odyssey (over two tons of minivan) kicks down entirely predictably when overtaking and I can anticipate upchanges with only the slightest of throttle lift. It also kicks down on overrun when approaching junctions so there's plenty of grunt when the light turns green before you get there.
Yes they are better than they used to be..but still not as good as a manual..i drove an Audi A4 sport albiet for a few weeks in the UK with a tiptronic automatic gear box..still wasnt as slick through the gear changes as i wanted..manual cars can be driven anyway the individual wants and can tailored to your own driving style..auto just dont do that.

Also yes i could get a manual but they are much less readily available than Autos so choice is less.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:08 am
Just Joined

British by design is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: manual or auto

Originally Posted by iaink
Easier to rock a manual out of a snow bank, should the need arise. Sometimes clutch control can be a blessing too when there is limited traction, but then again, the vast majority of cars in Canada have autos and they get by. The tiptronic type DSG is undoubtedly a great bit of engineering, but I would still miss the whole zen thing of heel and toe brakeing, blipping the throttle on downshifts into a sharp corner and all that, its part of the fun of driving for me. Less so getting an achy left leg sitting in traffic on the 401. Horses for courses I guess.

But as far as the original question go it makes no difference, get what you prefer based on your budget and driving preferences.
I have had both whilst i have been here, insurance did'nt change at all with either but be warned i was treated as a new driver when i moved here, no insurance company would except my no claims cert from the UK so very high either way, i have actually found my automatic easier in the winter, it does have traction control and with winter tires can usually get through most snow storms,i never thought i would prefer automatic but i even hire them when i go home!:
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:41 am
Just Joined

winespill is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the previous comment: “found my automatic easier in the winter”. When it’s cold, say less than 15C, manuals become notchy/obstructive and a real pain to use. Furthermore, you don’t have your typical British country back-roads here in which to enjoy powering through bends.

I see no point in having an automatic in N. America.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:03 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winespill
I agree with the previous comment: “found my automatic easier in the winter”. When it’s cold, say less than 15C, manuals become notchy/obstructive and a real pain to use. Furthermore, you don’t have your typical British country back-roads here in which to enjoy powering through bends.

I see no point in having an automatic in N. America.

This doesn't occur if you start your car a few minutes before using it to warm things up and get the fluids flowing
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:13 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
This doesn't occur if you start your car a few minutes before using it to warm things up and get the fluids flowing
Letting the engine warm up does nothing for the transmission. The only way to warm that up is to drive the vehicle but not aggressively for the first few miles.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:19 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer manual, but I have an auto. The auto is a boring drive, but as it's on boring straight roads with frequent stop signs or traffic lights it doesn't really matter. In summary, driving here is boring and having a manual probably won't make it interesting.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by big ron
Hi All
When I get my licence changed when I finally move to Ontario will it allow me to drive a manual,and if so is it cheaper to buy and insure a manual .Thanks.
One thing to consider is that the money you save with a manual will be money you won't get if you sell it on. I'm sure you're right that they are cheaper. They are cheaper to buy new as a manual, i.e. auto is extra. Also there is a smaller market for manual transmission vehicles because yanks cannot drive them. In fact I'm surprised there's any on the road because most of the UK driving test focused on learning clutch control, hill starts etc. How the hell do they teach themselves that here? Well one way is to drive them badly, and they certainly do that here. My point though is that you'll be getting a lot less for your car if you resell it as a manual vs. auto. I would urge you to get an auto to save the potential hassle if you sell it on. Manuals are more fun but if you live in an urban environment, not so much. By the way, they call them 'stick shift', and won't have a clue what you mean by Manual LOL
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Letting the engine warm up does nothing for the transmission. The only way to warm that up is to drive the vehicle but not aggressively for the first few miles.
I disagree, by letting the engine and the vehicle get some warmth, it radiates to the transmission too. I certainly noticed a difference if I hadn't managed to run outside and start the car 5-10 mins before leaving to when I had. Mind you the gear change on the liberty I had was like something like I imagine a trabant would be, my little old spitty (even before repair) is a lot smoother and we're talking a couple of decades in between the technology
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I know my auto tranny subaru kicks like a mule going from 1st to 2nd when its good and cold, presumably to do with transmission fluid viscosity.

Id never noticed any drop off in performance with the manual Honda or the old Jeep, but the knob gets cold

As I said earlier, there isnt one right choice, pick what you prefer for the kind of driving you are likely to do.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Alright Jeremy Clarkson give it a rest........