British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Manitoba (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/manitoba-692834/)

Jingsamichty Feb 9th 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Manitoba

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9164620)
If you are bored in Britain then you simply are not trying hard enough. There is an incredible variety of things you can find to do within a 2 or 3 hour drive in most of the UK. Very few places in Canada can say the same, and Manitioba isnt one of them.

This post should go in the Wiki.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9164712)
This post should go in the Wiki.

Once the spelling is fixed anyway:unsure::o

Also I should add that if you add an hour or twos flight to the criteria the possibility to ski, have a beach holiday, visit a different culture etc etc from the UK is much greater than from central Canada.

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9164723)
Once the spelling is fixed anyway:unsure::o

Also I should add that if you add an hour or twos flight to the criteria the possibility to ski, have a beach holiday, visit a different culture etc etc from the UK is much greater than from central Canada.

Yeah, but why would i want to visit another country if Canada already has all these things ? Thats whats im getting at, the UK does not have these things. I wouldnt be able to afford flights here and there to do skiing etc, whereas in Canada it is already there!

R I C H Feb 9th 2011 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9164598)
.....the range of activities that you mention there excite me.

This list, 'Hunting, fishing, skating, skiing, oh don't forget the snowmobiling. Hiking, biking horseback riding, canoeing, golfing' out of all those i have only ever done golfing! Where i live you dont get the chance to go canoeing or skiing or snowmobiling! Certainly sounds like I would not find myself bored in Manitoba!

i would definatly like to at the very least try some of the sports that are available in manitoba.

OK, so you land there, maybe find some casual work to help support yourself, and think you'd like to try those activities. Reckon on a couple of hundred dollars per day to rent a snowmobile, or to participate in a guided tour. A horse will likely cost you c$50 an hour to go out supervised on some trails.

Hunting, you're either going to have to take a license test, buy a gun and have transport to get you to the bush, or befriend someone that can help out. Skiing in Manitoba? Mmm, when Stony Mountain declares with enthusiasm that there's 100 vertical feet to ski, and the Ski Central Manitoba web page is covered in ads for Banff, Lake Louise and other resorts, it suggests limited options. Be prepared for flights elsewhere.

It's good to have ambitions and enthusiasm, but much of what you seem to want to do isn't going to come cheap, and there are other places (in Canada) that could offer as much or more.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9164748)
Yeah, but why would i want to visit another country if Canada already has all these things ? Thats whats im getting at, the UK does not have these things. I wouldnt be able to afford flights here and there to do skiing etc, whereas in Canada it is already there!

Its not though, thats the point. You tellingme you cant fish or go clay pidgeon shooting, or find an ice rink or riding center or go hiking etc etc etc in the UK?

On the other hand in Manitoba you have either a loooooong drive or expensive internal flight to find downhill skiing, forget about a couple of hours to the med for a holiday, and get used to grinding -20C or worse winters for months and months, and dont get me started on the insect life the rest of the time.

snowshoveller Feb 9th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9164748)

All the things I have listed are within an hours drive of winnipeg, As I said you cannot do downhill skiing of any significance for that you need to get on a plane, which unfortunately is going to be much more expensive than a similar flight in europe. Flights are HORRIBLY expensive from WPG.

If you are on a 1 year bunac you will be able to amuse yourself pretty well in the peg. Also when you return to the UK you will appreciate the richness of the UK's culture, history, quaintness (old english pubs etc) and NHS.

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 9164755)
OK, so you land there, maybe find some casual work to help support yourself, and think you'd like to try those activities. Reckon on a couple of hundred dollars per day to rent a snowmobile, or to participate in a guided tour. A horse will likely cost you c$50 an hour to go out supervised on some trails.

Hunting, you're either going to have to take a license test, buy a gun and have transport to get you to the bush, or befriend someone that can help out. Skiing in Manitoba? Mmm, when Stony Mountain declares with enthusiasm that there's 100 vertical feet to ski, and the Ski Central Manitoba web page is covered in ads for Banff, Lake Louise and other resorts, it suggests limited options. Be prepared for flights elsewhere.

It's good to have ambitions and enthusiasm, but much of what you seem to want to do isn't going to come cheap, and there are other places (in Canada) that could offer as much or more.

Yeah, thats great that other places in Canada has these. As once i gain PR what keeping me in Manitoba? Im guessing that I will start in Manitoba and then move on, DREAM of moving to Vancouver one day!,
BUT i was just wondering what Manitoba has to offer.
Dont know who to believe haha, one person says something really positive then the next shines a light on it so to speak.

@snowshoveller:

Im not so sure if i will. I plan on going back to Canada as soon as i can once BUNAC visa runs out.

snowshoveller Feb 9th 2011 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9164762)
Its not though, thats the point. You tellingme you cant fish or go clay pidgeon shooting, or find an ice rink or riding center or go hiking etc etc etc in the UK?

On the other hand in Manitoba you have either a loooooong drive or expensive internal flight to find downhill skiing, forget about a couple of hours to the med for a holiday, and get used to grinding -20C or worse winters for months and months, and dont get me started on the insect life the rest of the time.

to be accurate, you can do pretty much all the beach stuff you like on Lake Winnipeg (apart from surfing) There are a couple of downhill skiing options within 90 mins of the city, if you dont need to hammer black runs all day then they are pretty ok, and excellent for beginners.

I will admit the winter is probably a month too long, but with sunny dry days in the winter its pretty liveable with. It doesnt even snow that much (too cold!)

Iaink is right though, if you are bored in the UK you may be bored in Canada, it's not always about where you are!

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by snowshoveller (Post 9164793)
to be accurate, you can do pretty much all the beach stuff you like on Lake Winnipeg (apart from surfing) There are a couple of downhill skiing options within 90 mins of the city, if you dont need to hammer black runs all day then they are pretty ok, and excellent for beginners.

I will admit the winter is probably a month too long, but with sunny dry days in the winter its pretty liveable with. It doesnt even snow that much (too cold!)

Iaink is right though, if you are bored in the UK you may be bored in Canada, it's not always about where you are!

Yeah, i may be, but its definatly worth finding out ;)
Ill do my 1 year and then will have a much better feel of life in Canada, or Manitoba to be precise.

snowshoveller Feb 9th 2011 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9164801)
Yeah, i may be, but its definatly worth finding out ;)
Ill do my 1 year and then will have a much better feel of life in Canada, or Manitoba to be precise.

I'd grab the opportunity if I were you, and the peg has lots of plus points, it's not glamourous, and many folks have a downer on it - some of those folks might have even been there;)

have a blast

iaink Feb 9th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by snowshoveller (Post 9164793)
to be accurate, you can do pretty much all the beach stuff you like on Lake Winnipeg (apart from surfing)

Maybe, from July to August anyway;)

I agree, its worth trying for a year, but dont expect it to be something its not.

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9164814)
Maybe, from July to August anyway;)

I agree, its worth trying for a year, but dont expect it to be something its not.

I'll try not to haha.
When you say this, do you mean just about Manitoba, or Canada alltogether?
What is Ontario like ?

R I C H Feb 9th 2011 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9164822)
I'll try not to haha.
When you say this, do you mean just about Manitoba, or Canada alltogether?
What is Ontario like ?

When I was around your age I did the year (or 2) traveling thing, and I think it's a mistake for you to spend a year in one province or place. Take the opportunity to really travel, and visit and experience as much as you can. You don't know what the future holds in terms of opportunity and commitments, so make the most of the freedom you have and plan to visit more than just Manitoba.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 6:22 pm

Ontario? Huge, much bigger than Manitoba. Populated by canadains from all over the world, mostly crushed into the bits closest to the US. More diverse economy, and has probably Canadas only "World Class" city in Toronto (although others may argue about that), which tends to dominate discussion, which tends to ignore the virtues of small town life here.

I agree with Rich, if you are coming on a Bunac visa, use it as intended, travel around and work when you can. Canada is huge and very diverse, so see as much of it as is practical.

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 6:27 pm

@ RICH:

The thing with travelling is that i would not be able to afford it. How did you manage to travel if you were working at the same time?
Also, i have done a bit of travelling a couple of years ago. I know from that that i dont like edmonton or prince george.

@iank:

Always wanted to visit Ontario. Could you tell me any more about it ?