British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Manitoba (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/manitoba-692834/)

thugpoetry69 Nov 9th 2010 3:23 am

Manitoba

Can anyone please help. I am thinking about moving to Manitoba but do not know much about it. BC and Alberta were my first options but they are proving to be a bit expensive for me because of the amount of money they want me to pay just to get psychiatric nursing registration. I'm currently living in the UK but my dream is to come to Canada.
I saw on a website that Manitoba rates quite high on violent crimes. Is this true and what areas should i be avoiding. How is it living there and how is the cost of living. How is the education system and the current economic climate. Are they also experiencing the same problems as other provinces with relation to hospital closures and nurses losing their jobs. Thank you so much in advance

GC44 Nov 9th 2010 12:23 pm

Re: Manitoba

Originally Posted by thugpoetry69 (Post 8970036)
Can anyone please help. I am thinking about moving to Manitoba but do not know much about it. BC and Alberta were my first options but they are proving to be a bit expensive for me because of the amount of money they want me to pay just to get psychiatric nursing registration. I'm currently living in the UK but my dream is to come to Canada.
I saw on a website that Manitoba rates quite high on violent crimes. Is this true and what areas should i be avoiding. How is it living there and how is the cost of living. How is the education system and the current economic climate. Are they also experiencing the same problems as other provinces with relation to hospital closures and nurses losing their jobs. Thank you so much in advance

We have just had a couple of weeks in Manitoba visiting various area, meeting potential employers, checking out schools etc. Winnipeg struck us as having the same problems as most large cities but we just passed through the place, Winnipeg never was on our shortlist of places to live. I would say that the relatively larger urban area's like Brandon which has its own regional health authority would be high on places to check out. We spent 4 days there and found it to be a welcoming community with great schools, good shopping and a good selection of reasonably priced housing. Spent a few days down in Winkler (south of Winnipeg) and although it again was welcoming, schools looked great and great housing options it was very Germanic. Loads of Mennonites (Amish that smoke and drink, speak a dialect of German and go to church a lot). We felt a little out of place.
If I remember rightly, a recent survey put both Winnipeg and Brandon in the top 10 best places to live in Canada.
Check out Brandon town website for more info. Hope all this helps.
Best of luck.
:)

snowshoveller Nov 9th 2010 3:54 pm

Winnipeg is an OK place to live, like most cities is has some issues, for the most part the crime is within certain communities, rather than endemic. There are some parts of the city that I wouldn't recommend, but for the most part its ok. I lived just outside the downtown area for a couple of years, I walked or cycled to work downtown without incident, you need to keep your wits about you of course and you wouldn't choose to go downtown after 6pm or so - its closed - and is then the preserve of the down and outs.

I had my bike stolen from inside my locked garage, and there were numerous other incidents in the neighbourhood at the same time. There is some gun crime, but this is mostly gang related.

The 'peg is served quite well for culture. As in the rest of canada the health system is not as inclusive at the UK, and my opinion is that it does not work so well. Can your qualification be validated?

The manitoban economy has remained reasonable. The education system is ok, its different to the UK, much more nurturing rather than target driven - if your kids need prodding this may not be so good. The cost of living is on balance a little higher than the UK, particularly if you like to travel. Have a look at expedia at the cost of flights to and from winnipeg to get an idea. I priced up flights to vancouver a year or so ago and it was cheaper to get there from gatwick than winnipeg!

j-dizzle Feb 8th 2011 7:24 pm

Hey, sorry for bringing up an old thread but it fits what i need to know so no point starting a new one!

I would also like to know what Manitoba is like, for a person aged 19.
What is it like activities wise? What is there to do? Is the place dull?

Also would like to know other stuff such as what are the people like? Any violence and places to stay away from ?

Cheers

iaink Feb 8th 2011 7:34 pm

Manitoba has an area about three times that of the UK, so hopefully you will understand if people ask you to be a little more specific.

Rural manitoba would be pretty dead, Winnipeg on the other hand is the 8th largest city in Canada and has some life to it. Like most large cities it also has some violence, and specifically there are a lot of hells angel related gang murders. Would that impact the average persons day to day life? Probably not.

What are the people like? Generally 2 arms, 2 legs, eyes either side of the nose, and ears outside those. You know, the regular configuration;). Being North Americans they probably average a bit fatter than the European version:)

j-dizzle Feb 8th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9162497)
Manitoba has an area about three times that of the UK, so hopefully you will understand if people ask you to be a little more specific.

Rural manitoba would be pretty dead, Winnipeg on the other hand is the 8th largest city in Canada and has some life to it. Like most large cities it also has some violence, and specifically there are a lot of hells angel related gang murders. Would that impact the average persons day to day life? Probably not.

Didnt realise Manitoba itself was that big haha.
Well, apart from Winnipeg, what other cities are there with 'life' as they say?

And does Winnipeg have a lot to do? What kind of stuff is there, winter and summer.

snowshoveller Feb 8th 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9162522)
Didnt realise Manitoba itself was that big haha.
Well, apart from Winnipeg, what other cities are there with 'life' as they say?

And does Winnipeg have a lot to do? What kind of stuff is there, winter and summer.

there really arent any other significant cities - there is brandon but I think its only 60-100k population.
Winnipeg is a pretty buzzing place for its size, with a solid live music scene, they have a comedy and folk festival annually in he summer, most big acts touring canada will play the MTS centre.

The climate is pretty harsh, but the locals make the best of it - there is a great winter festival. You can spend a lot of time skating playing hockey in the winter, downhill skiing is limited on account of there being no mountains! most folks head up to lake winnipeg or lake manitoba in the summer - there are some great beaches there.

j-dizzle Feb 8th 2011 8:59 pm

So Winnipeg would be my best bet ? What is it like sports wise? Are there a lot of clubs and such?

What is the cost of living like? Say for me going via bunac? Then possibly staying after that?

snowshoveller Feb 8th 2011 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by j-dizzle (Post 9162655)
So Winnipeg would be my best bet ? What is it like sports wise? Are there a lot of clubs and such?

What is the cost of living like? Say for me going via bunac? Then possibly staying after that?

soccer, rugby, golf, ice hockey, basketball, speedskating, ultimate, cricket, football cross country skiing, yachting all catered for.

cost of living is broadly the same as everywhere else. Winnipeg is the cheapest place in the country for Beer and most expensive for fresh fruit and veg (according to a survey I read a couple of years ago)

property rental is probably cheaper than toronto & vancouver

Auld Yin Feb 8th 2011 10:06 pm

I'm interested in your remark about the costs of Psychiatric Nursing Registration in Alberta and BC. How much cheaper was the cost in Manitoba? Is the difference so much that you can't bite the bullet and go to the part of Canada you truly desire?

j-dizzle Feb 8th 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by snowshoveller (Post 9162729)
soccer, rugby, golf, ice hockey, basketball, speedskating, ultimate, cricket, football cross country skiing, yachting all catered for.

cost of living is broadly the same as everywhere else. Winnipeg is the cheapest place in the country for Beer and most expensive for fresh fruit and veg (according to a survey I read a couple of years ago)

property rental is probably cheaper than toronto & vancouver

That's good to hear about the sports.
Also wondering if the people are outgoing and active? Compared to uk where people would rather watch soaps than be outdoor doing something!

manitobain Feb 9th 2011 12:51 am

*protests against the remark that rural MB is dead*...it so totally depend on your interest. If you an outdoor buff, rural is what you want. Hunting, fishing, skating, skiing, oh don't forget the snowmobiling. Hiking, biking horseback riding, canoeing, golfing, fitness..and of course lot of team sports in pretty every community. If you are community minded and want to be involved...trust me, you will be involved. you can always hit the local bar...but clubs and such fancy things are rather seldom. Gotta have a car..but even Winnipeg w/o a car is not that much fun (or so son says).

If the 19year old only want to party and celebrate...better stick to the city (until the money is spent) ;)

snowshoveller Feb 9th 2011 6:23 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9163014)
Gotta have a car..but even Winnipeg w/o a car is not that much fun (or so son says).

with respect thats rubbish! I did not own a car for over a year whilst in Winnipeg, it is absolutely no problem assuming you are not stuck out in the 'burbs. Car insurance will be stinging a 19 year old and 2nd hand cars will be expensive compared to the UK.

The people in winnipeg are pretty much like people all around the world - some get out and do things, others sit indoors, watch telly and eat ketchup chips.

Why dont you tell us what you like to do exactly, maybe we will be able to tell whether its there?

eg, watch or play live music, particular sport, theatre, ballet??

j-dizzle Feb 9th 2011 4:37 pm

@manitobain:

Thats good that there is a lot of stuff to do, as here in the Uk I find my self time and time again bored and basically doing nothing. So the range of activities that you mention there excite me.

This list, 'Hunting, fishing, skating, skiing, oh don't forget the snowmobiling. Hiking, biking horseback riding, canoeing, golfing' out of all those i have only ever done golfing! Where i live you dont get the chance to go canoeing or skiing or snowmobiling! Certainly sounds like I would not find myself bored in Manitoba!

Originally Posted by snowshoveller (Post 9163398)
with respect thats rubbish! I did not own a car for over a year whilst in Winnipeg, it is absolutely no problem assuming you are not stuck out in the 'burbs. Car insurance will be stinging a 19 year old and 2nd hand cars will be expensive compared to the UK.

The people in winnipeg are pretty much like people all around the world - some get out and do things, others sit indoors, watch telly and eat ketchup chips.

Why dont you tell us what you like to do exactly, maybe we will be able to tell whether its there?

eg, watch or play live music, particular sport, theatre, ballet??

Well the only sports i do here are football (soccer) and just work out.
But i would definatly like to at the very least try some of the sports that are available in manitoba.

iaink Feb 9th 2011 4:46 pm

If you are bored in Britain then you simply are not trying hard enough. There is an incredible variety of things you can find to do within a 2 or 3 hour drive in most of the UK. Very few places in Canada can say the same, and Manitioba isnt one of them.