British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   making a will , and sending pension back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/making-will-sending-pension-back-uk-928415/)

susanmountain Oct 9th 2019 1:30 pm

making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Sorry, its a bit of a sober thought but we are in Toronto for the next few years and thoughts of wills come to mind.

We have a will in the uk, where our daughter and our property is, I think that will needs updating as it was written when our children were minors. ( they are 22 and 20 now)

So my question is, have you had a mirrored will written here in Ontario/canada, in case you die here, but you intend to go back to the Uk in a few years

Also my husband has a rrsp pension here in Canada, brought over in 2011 from the uk, when RBS ( where the pension was with) had troubling times. Anyway, it has grown here but he is thinking of moving it back in its entirety back to the uk when he leaves here/retires in 2 years time.. Has anybody done this, and can you lead me to a good tax advisor in Toronto area?

Sue

Hurlabrick Oct 10th 2019 8:19 pm

Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Originally Posted by susanmountain (Post 12746014)
Sorry, its a bit of a sober thought but we are in Toronto for the next few years and thoughts of wills come to mind.

We have a will in the uk, where our daughter and our property is, I think that will needs updating as it was written when our children were minors. ( they are 22 and 20 now)

So my question is, have you had a mirrored will written here in Ontario/canada, in case you die here, but you intend to go back to the Uk in a few years

Also my husband has a rrsp pension here in Canada, brought over in 2011 from the uk, when RBS ( where the pension was with) had troubling times. Anyway, it has grown here but he is thinking of moving it back in its entirety back to the uk when he leaves here/retires in 2 years time.. Has anybody done this, and can you lead me to a good tax advisor in Toronto area?

Sue

Yes.

We have mirror wills in both the UK and Ontario, Canada. Not because we plan to go back to the UK at any time, but because we have assets there that we cannot or have not yet transferred to Canada (personal pensions and income drawdowns - QROP's problems!).

susanmountain Oct 13th 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks Hurla brick for your reply.

I am thinking to get a will made up in the Uk, where our daughter and 2 properties are, and some money and pensions etc, get the will made up by our friendly solicitor.

Then get the same one made up here, in Ontario? who by and where to go I wonder?

We have a pension, and a son here( for now). Then we go back to the uk in a few years time, when our son will come back with us, and our pension will follow in monthly instalments!

Sue

Hurlabrick Oct 13th 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by susanmountain (Post 12747661)
Thanks Hurla brick for your reply.

I am thinking to get a will made up in the Uk, where our daughter and 2 properties are, and some money and pensions etc, get the will made up by our friendly solicitor.

Then get the same one made up here, in Ontario? who by and where to go I wonder?

We have a pension, and a son here( for now). Then we go back to the uk in a few years time, when our son will come back with us, and our pension will follow in monthly instalments!

Sue

Go to any lawyer in Ontario, they will do a will.

PMM Oct 14th 2019 5:52 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12747668)
Go to any lawyer in Ontario, they will do a will.

1. A Notary is usually cheaper for wills than a lawyer.

susanmountain Mar 3rd 2020 3:37 pm

thank you very much