Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

making a will , and sending pension back to UK

making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Old Oct 9th 2019, 1:30 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 30
susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Sorry, its a bit of a sober thought but we are in Toronto for the next few years and thoughts of wills come to mind.

We have a will in the uk, where our daughter and our property is, I think that will needs updating as it was written when our children were minors. ( they are 22 and 20 now)

So my question is, have you had a mirrored will written here in Ontario/canada, in case you die here, but you intend to go back to the Uk in a few years

Also my husband has a rrsp pension here in Canada, brought over in 2011 from the uk, when RBS ( where the pension was with) had troubling times. Anyway, it has grown here but he is thinking of moving it back in its entirety back to the uk when he leaves here/retires in 2 years time.. Has anybody done this, and can you lead me to a good tax advisor in Toronto area?

Sue
susanmountain is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2019, 8:19 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Originally Posted by susanmountain View Post
Sorry, its a bit of a sober thought but we are in Toronto for the next few years and thoughts of wills come to mind.

We have a will in the uk, where our daughter and our property is, I think that will needs updating as it was written when our children were minors. ( they are 22 and 20 now)

So my question is, have you had a mirrored will written here in Ontario/canada, in case you die here, but you intend to go back to the Uk in a few years

Also my husband has a rrsp pension here in Canada, brought over in 2011 from the uk, when RBS ( where the pension was with) had troubling times. Anyway, it has grown here but he is thinking of moving it back in its entirety back to the uk when he leaves here/retires in 2 years time.. Has anybody done this, and can you lead me to a good tax advisor in Toronto area?

Sue
Yes.

We have mirror wills in both the UK and Ontario, Canada. Not because we plan to go back to the UK at any time, but because we have assets there that we cannot or have not yet transferred to Canada (personal pensions and income drawdowns - QROP's problems!).
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2019, 1:01 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 30
susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Thanks Hurla brick for your reply.

I am thinking to get a will made up in the Uk, where our daughter and 2 properties are, and some money and pensions etc, get the will made up by our friendly solicitor.

Then get the same one made up here, in Ontario? who by and where to go I wonder?

We have a pension, and a son here( for now). Then we go back to the uk in a few years time, when our son will come back with us, and our pension will follow in monthly instalments!

Sue
susanmountain is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2019, 1:09 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Hurlabrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London, ON
Posts: 2,485
Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Originally Posted by susanmountain View Post
Thanks Hurla brick for your reply.

I am thinking to get a will made up in the Uk, where our daughter and 2 properties are, and some money and pensions etc, get the will made up by our friendly solicitor.

Then get the same one made up here, in Ontario? who by and where to go I wonder?

We have a pension, and a son here( for now). Then we go back to the uk in a few years time, when our son will come back with us, and our pension will follow in monthly instalments!

Sue
Go to any lawyer in Ontario, they will do a will.
Hurlabrick is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:52 pm
  #5  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,706
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

Hi

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
Go to any lawyer in Ontario, they will do a will.
1. A Notary is usually cheaper for wills than a lawyer.

PMM is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 3:37 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 30
susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: making a will , and sending pension back to UK

thank you very much
susanmountain is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.