Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Originally Posted by iaink
You seem determined to miss the point that being drawn to Canada for the lifestly that it makes possible might be a dream, but coming here simply because its not the UK is just an escape, any dream is of an absence of something, rather than a draw to something, and in the long run its too easy to forget why you are putting up with the dificulties of living here when no longer faced with the negatives that caused you to come here.

Sorry if Im not effusive enough in my praise of Canada for you Its really not my style to get all giddy and overenthusiastic about things. Suffice it to say that if I didnt like it here and wasnt happy I would not have stuck around to raise my kids here, but I am very aware that there is a price in terms of family togetherness that comes from that decision too, especially as I wasnt there when my mum passed away and my dad isnt getting any younger. Im also aware that there are plenty of places in canada that have similar issues to the bad bits of the UK, so location is very important.

So, much as I am happy here, as anyone whose met me would know, I temper that with the knowledge that there are sacrifices, and that there are people here who are not happy and who have not had the luck that I have had in settling.

Sitting on the sidelines cheering people on blindly is not necessarily doing them any favours if they dont know what it is thats attracting them to a life over here, people need to be a lot more clear on their motivation than just not liking where they are at the moment. Theres lots of nice places in the UK that are a lot easier to move to and which involve a lot less removal from a lifetimes worth of friends and family, so those options are worth exploring too.

In this case the IEC is just a year, and its a good idea to come check out the lay of the land if you can. Having to move in with mum and dad for a few months doesnt seem a huge sacrfice to me in the big picture.
I'm not missing your point - In fact you make a good pointless I just don't agree with it. Does it really matter if people are drawn here for the lifestyle or if they come here to escape something? They are both catalysts for starting the same process where the end result is pretty much the same. We can be all philosophical and say that coming here to escape something in the UK is the wrong reason but at the end of the day does it really matter - I don't think so. And Thank God there are people in life that get giddy and overenthusiastic about things or life would be pretty boring.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're just as prevalent in cities, you can easily find news stories on murders, drugs, etc in Canada too. In fact murders per capita are higher in Canada than in the UK! You can't really compare a rural location in Canada with Birmingham though, it's like apples and oranges. Just as you couldn't compare a rural UK location with Toronto.

Plenty of people leaving Canada for all sorts of reasons, have a read of the Moving Back to the UK forum for their stories.

Canada is a fantastic country, as is the UK, but as Iaink has said it's far better to move for the love of a country, rather than the perceived negatives of the one you've left behind, as the same problems are everywhere unfortunately.

I seem to remember that the murder rate per capita was approx double as were the number of deaths on the roads I looked this up as I was a bit alarmed by the number of fatal vehicle accidents when we initially got here.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jossie
I'm not missing your point - In fact you make a good pointless I just don't agree with it. Does it really matter if people are drawn here for the lifestyle or if they come here to escape something? They are both catalysts for starting the same process where the end result is pretty much the same. We can be all philosophical and say that coming here to escape something in the UK is the wrong reason but at the end of the day does it really matter - I don't think so. And Thank God there are people in life that get giddy and overenthusiastic about things or life would be pretty boring.
I agree. There are push and pull factors to every migration... at the end of the day how can you move based soley on the love of another country or some other pull factor if you've never had the opportunity to visit??

Some people just hate where they are, decide enough is enough and leave for pastures new. Plenty have successfully migrated this way - many modern nations were formed by settlers who had neither knowledge or understanding of where they were going or what they were in for - they just knew it was a chance to escape things that were limiting their quality of life in their homelands. I agree it would be beneficial to have a pull factor behind moving somewhere but don't agree that this is anymore or less important than the factors behind you wanting to move somewhere in the first place. If there were no initial push factors hardly anyone would ever decide to move, they'd have no reason too right?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
I agree. There are push and pull factors to every migration... at the end of the day how can you move based soley on the love of another country or some other pull factor if you've never had the opportunity to visit??

Some people just hate where they are, decide enough is enough and leave for pastures new. Plenty have successfully migrated this way - many modern nations were formed by settlers who had neither knowledge or understanding of where they were going or what they were in for - they just knew it was a chance to escape things that were limiting their quality of life in their homelands. I agree it would be beneficial to have a pull factor behind moving somewhere but don't agree that this is anymore or less important than the factors behind you wanting to move somewhere in the first place. If there were no initial push factors hardly anyone would ever decide to move, they'd have no reason too right?
Well said Andy
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If there were no initial push factors hardly anyone would ever decide to move, they'd have no reason too right?
You mean apart from their Canadian spouses, or being transferred with work, or being headhunted for a job they can't refuse, or just want an adventure.....etc, etc?!

I'd say it's probably about half and half on the forum, half that move to Canada even though they're happy in the UK for reasons like that, and half that move to Canada because they love the country or are unhappy in the UK.

Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean apart from their Canadian spouses, or being transferred with work, or being headhunted for a job they can't refuse, or just want an adventure.....etc, etc?!
Push factors are likely behind each of those:

Spouses: could be that Canadian spouse does not want to live in UK or cannot live in UK so British citizen is pushed to move to Canada to be with them as well as being pulled.

Transferred with work: company making the decision so person is being pushed

headhunted for a job: person cant refuse and takes job because no such job exists in UK this is also a push factor - the fact they consider an opportunity pulling them abroad because there is no such opp in the UK

Wanting an adventure: because they are bored or have seen what they want to in there current location - they are being pushed to discover a new location

But yes, both factors are important!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

But you could have achieved that, and the other stuff you mentioned, by moving out of London in to a more rural location in the UK couldn't you? I see deer every morning (usually in my garden eating my new fruit trees, grrrr), and I'm in the UK.
Yes, but in Canada you can then shoot and eat them without getting arrested.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Wanting an adventure: because they are bored or have seen what they want to in there current location - they are being pushed to discover a new location
That seems like a good one. Why Canada specifically though when there's all of Europe that you could move to without a visa?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

But you could have achieved that, and the other stuff you mentioned, by moving out of London in to a more rural location in the UK couldn't you? I see deer every morning (usually in my garden eating my new fruit trees, grrrr), and I'm in the UK.[/QUOTE]

True, but I achieved it by not moving to a rural location. I live in a city.

But jokes aside.
Im sure some of the things I mentioned can be achieved in the UK. But thats why I mentioned it depends on what one wants and type of lifestyle. There are other variables that make a big difference. Its having access to those variables that can make a difference.

You have the same problems in Canada as you do in the UK. But depending where one is, people live differently and think differently. There are other variables. There is much more sunlight in the part of Canada I am in. My asthma has completely gone. I pay 5% Vat as opposed to 20%. Though its -7c I don't feel cold. Where as when its 2c in London I am freezing my arse off. Better opportunities for young people. Water tastes better, steak tastes better, low crime rate, less traffic etc.
Some of the small variables are easier to access on this side of the pond (Canada) and they start to add up in day to day living. If those variables are things you want in life then it can make a big difference.

After living in Canada for three and a half years, moving back to the UK. Everything was the same. The only difference was how much I had changed. I realised the UK is not for me. I only knew that but taking that chance by trying something very different.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:12 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
You are young with no ties. Get yourself out here lad.

What's the worst that can happen? you blow a load of money? no biggie. You can spend £1000s on a decent holiday.

With hindsight we would have done it earlier when either our son was younger or before he came along.

On an IEC it's almost a try before you buy situation. If you don't like it head back to the UK - simples. What an experience you will have to look back on even if you don't stay.

People like us on the other hand have shipped all their stuff over (at a big cost) so will have to incur that if we decide to go back.
I agree, only 24, no ties, already you show a sense of adventure; nothing is ever permanent! I say go for it and have fun
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

No real query here just after some feedback. I am dead set on moving from UK and decided Canada is where I want to go, so I've decided to apply for IEC 2013 to check what it has to offer and am now in process of preparing all the necessary documentation required, as soon as applications open I'll be mailing mine off.

I want to save as much money as I can for the move (£10k in mind) so I don't need to worry about it if I'm waiting to find work or want to do,visit or see things. In order to get the desired funds together I am sacrificing my own flat to move back into my parent's house. I have a move out date set for November 20th and with prospective viewers coming around to view the flat, its kind of hit me now that I'm actually giving the place up!

I get on well with my parents although I'm very independent, I cant help feeling it will be hard going back to 1 bedroom in their house from the space of my beautiful Georgian apartment. That added to the fact I've spent my own money and a lot of time on getting the flat how I want it...

Just after some advice or feedback from any others who have had to make this sacrifice or similar to get to where they ultimately want to be??

Thanks Guys

Andy
If that's all you have to worry about then it's no biggie is it?

I moved back home when I was 25ish for a few months. The worst thing I can say about it is that it was dull.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Nelju is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
So what difference in "the way of life" do you imagine Canadians have? They get up, go to work (mostly to jobs they hate!), shop for groceries, clean their houses -- I sometimes wonder where they find the time for all that skiiing and stuff! There is crime here -- I know some OPs like to give the impression that NOBODY commits crimes, and that kids stay kids for much longer! And if you're thinking of leaving because you see the UK disappearing under a tidalwave of foreign cultures, well you're in for a big disappointment in Canada.
Well, true multiculturalism in Canada can be found just in Toronto and Vancouver. Outside of those two cities is still mostly white (yes, I include Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa in that category although their minorites population is increasing)
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:42 am
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Advise for anyone wanting to emigrate to Canada........just go for it. Or one day you'll be 60 years old and be sitting in a pub in Dalston talking with your mates (Who have never done anything in their lives ) about their 3 weeks in Spain or Portugal.
Canada is a HUGE country where you can find whatever you want.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 16th 2012 at 6:34 am. Reason: Yet more personal abuse removed
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

So I was in a similar situation and here's my experience so far.

I was living in Oxfordshire with my Canadian girlfriend who hated the UK. She was moving home and I could either go with or stay in England. I'm 25 and only graduated from Uni last year. I had an entry level job and she was a fairly well paid professional. Most of our money went on bills, we went on holiday about once a year and ate out every couple of months.

My boss agreed to let me keep my job and telecommute on a trial period and I come over in April on a 6 month tourist visa (just before I left I applied for an IEC visa as a backup).

After a couple of months a job just fell into my lap one day. We both got 100% pay rises compared to the equivalent we were making in the UK. We eat out frequently, most summer weekends were spent either at cottages on lakes, camping or doing wine tours. We pay the same in rent but have a house that's easily twice the size and draft proof.

Yes, dairy is expensive but other things are cheaper (petrol, electricity, gas). I think the cost of living is similar but, for us at least, our household income is double.

For me the grass really is greener here. Our quality of life has improved dramatically, way more than it could of by moving somewhere else in the UK. I originally came over on a 6 month trial but now I'm here to stay. I've made plenty of friends in my age range and some of them are ex-pats who are equally as happy to be here.

I would say you have to give it a shot otherwise you'll regret it. If you don't like then go somewhere else.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

not gonna read the whole thread, but i'm a similar age to you Andy, so i'll chime in here...

i'm very much of the belief that "you regret the things you don't do" so grabbed the opportunity to have a chance to try a new country with both hands

that said, i'm here on a 2 year TWP, and had pre-arranged employment to come to on an LMO submitted by the company.

i'm a qualified Aeronautical Engineer, and have been able to transfer my skills/knowledge over here to industrial turbines for a company who do the same job i done back home

the draw for me, was it was still an English speaking, Western culture which i felt i wouldn't have much trouble adapting to.

I also felt with the fact that in 2 years, i won't even be 26 yet and i'm single and pretty much debt free, so i'm still young and free enough that if things don't work out over here, then i'm not stuck for trying out something else, or even going back into education to further my qualifications or change my career altogether!

i suppose i've been very lucky in the respect that a few people from my old company have come over to work here for the company i now work for, and i'm getting a good deal to come over too. But i've still left behind family, friends and the life i had to try and start a new one...having been here for 3 months already, its still early days. I'm loving it so far, and currently have a friend over from Scotland to visit, which has been great. Still open minded as to where i'll be in 20 months time when my TWP is about to expire, whether i'll have gone for Permanent Residency or will be packing my bags (and probably a Ford F150 Raptor) to take back to my old bedroom at my parents house in Sunny Scotland!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.