Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a sacrifice... any advice/feedback please?

You are young with no ties. Get yourself out here lad.

What's the worst that can happen? you blow a load of money? no biggie. You can spend £1000s on a decent holiday.

With hindsight we would have done it earlier when either our son was younger or before he came along.

On an IEC it's almost a try before you buy situation. If you don't like it head back to the UK - simples. What an experience you will have to look back on even if you don't stay.

People like us on the other hand have shipped all their stuff over (at a big cost) so will have to incur that if we decide to go back.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
So what difference in "the way of life" do you imagine Canadians have? They get up, go to work (mostly to jobs they hate!), shop for groceries, clean their houses -- I sometimes wonder where they find the time for all that skiiing and stuff! There is crime here -- I know some OPs like to give the impression that NOBODY commits crimes, and that kids stay kids for much longer! And if you're thinking of leaving because you see the UK disappearing under a tidalwave of foreign cultures, well you're in for a big disappointment in Canada.
I understand what you are saying, I have already said I know without even seeing Canada, that it is not a bed of roses and the grass is not always greener. That's why I want to try it first... I have my reasons behind wanting to move in the future I'm not so naive as to up sticks and move to a new place with no experience of it or any pull factors that influence my decision. What were the reasons for you moving? Did you test the water before committing?

My point is that I think everybody has reasons for wanting to leave a place, and reasons why a particular place is drawing them. Some people have no desire to ever leave a place and that is fine, it's up to them. I don't fit in with the latter though and if I am going to 'move' to Canada I'd like to try it first and discover something special about Canada which becomes my primary reason for wanting to settle there for good. It would be nice to hear of some of the positive things people have found living in Canada brings over living in UK- in addition to negative ones.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A big enough house for not much money, neighbours in sight, but not really earshot.

Not a lot of day to day stress to deal with. Not really any traffic on my 20 min commute, no crime that affects me to speak of in my rural backwater, so not constantly wary about it.

A strong sense of community (google Hockeyville 2012 to get an idea)

My kids really can be kids longer, and just play in the neighbourhood without worry.

I lucked out I think to end up where I am with a job that covers the bills, had it been a job offer in the GTA I would probably left already.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyhughes88

I just can't see my future in the UK, it's just not for me. I hate the way of life here and the way the country seems to be heading. Canada may or may not be the place to go but until I try it I'll never know. I've just got to get my head down, cut down on everything I find enjoyable to save money and stick to my goal... just hope its worth it all!
Well Britain’s broke isn’t it? It’s become desolate of moral and social values. Where an underclass of drunken feral youths assault old-age pensioners while being robbed for ten pounds. Post offices closing down, pubs being boarded up. Ordinary hard working people who end up paying for welfare cheats and asylum seekers; professional spongers who breed for greed while worshiping a celebrity culture where X Factor counts more than Olympic gold. Duplicate litter strewn town centers studded with Argos and Carphone Warehouses have become community centers for teenage mothers pushing strollers around while screaming and battering their children. I forgot, failing schools, prohibitive cost of housing, corrupt bankers squiring away millions in bankrupt bonuses. A general sense of a country infected by a lack of aspiration. I can see how it seems to be a post-apocalyptic hellhole. I’d want to escape too.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 15th 2012 at 7:55 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
A big enough house for not much money, neighbours in sight, but not really earshot.

Not a lot of day to day stress to deal with. Not really any traffic on my 20 min commute, no crime that affects me to speak of in my rural backwater, so not constantly wary about it.

A strong sense of community (google Hockeyville 2012 to get an idea)

My kids really can be kids longer, and just play in the neighbourhood without worry.

I lucked out I think to end up where I am with a job that covers the bills, had it been a job offer in the GTA I would probably left already.
Thats exactly what I'm looking for, somewhere on Vanacouver Island.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
Thats exactly what I'm looking for, somewhere on Vanacouver Island.
You can scratch off the "for not much money" part then...

My neighbours got posted to Victoria with the forces and swapped a $160k house they loved for a $450k mortgage on a shoebox.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Well Britain’s broke isn’t it? It’s become desolate of moral and social values. Where an underclass of drunken feral youths assault old-age pensions while being robbed for ten pounds. Post offices closing down, pubs being boarded up. Ordinary hard working people who end up paying for welfare cheats and asylum seekers; professional spongers who breed for greed while worshiping a celebrity culture where X Factor counts more than Olympic gold. Duplicate litter strewn town centers studded with Argos and Carphone Warehouses have become community centers for teenage mothers pushing strollers around while screaming and battering their children. I forgot, failing schools, prohibitive cost of housing, corrupt bankers squiring away millions in bankrupt bonuses. A general sense of a country infected by a lack of aspiration. I can see how it seems to be a post-apocalyptic hellhole. I’d want to escape too.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Add to that a complete lack of respect for anyone or anything that people have done for this country. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...rial-sentenced...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...f-T-shirt.html

Every day, literally every single day I turn on BBC Midlands news there is a story of this nature, or murder, rape, stabbing, drugs shooting...

People claiming cocktails of benefits, playing the system intended to benefit those genuinely in need, so that they can live a life of luxury at home watching Jeremy Kyle whilst their next door neighbour is out from 7.30am til 6pm working his bollo*ks off and is no better off!

Drug riddled streets, chavs, pubs full of working age drunkards at 11am, prisons rammed to the rafters, filthy streets covered in litter, etc etc etc
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have put it better myself. Add to that a complete lack of respect for anyone or anything that people have done for this country. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/no...rial-sentenced...

Every day, literally every single day I turn on BBC Midlands news there is a story of this nature, or murder, rape, stabbing, drugs shooting...

People claiming cocktails of benefits, playing the system intended to benefit those genuinely in need, so that they can live a life of luxury at home watching Jeremy Kyle whilst their next door neighbour is out from 7.30am til 6pm working his bollo*ks off and is no better off!

Drug riddled streets, chavs, pubs full of working age drunkards at 11am, prisons rammed to the rafters, filthy streets covered in litter, etc etc etc
It was just a wild guess.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Think you rather missed Oink's sarcasm.

You are aware that all of those things are in Canada too right? And that if you wanted to escape them you could just move to a different area of the UK? I'm an ex-Brummie too and wouldn't move back there for all the money in the world either - although to be fair, I wouldn't move to any city, I love living in a yob free rural idyll too much!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Clearly, you need to move. And stop reading the daily mail.

And read a lot more of Oinks posts!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Airborne_Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'll be scratching off Victoria from my list then
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
Well I'll be scratching off Victoria from my list then
Its where many Canadians go to retire (well, other than Florida), so property prices reflect the demand.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Think you rather missed Oink's sarcasm.

You are aware that all of those things are in Canada too right? And that if you wanted to escape them you could just move to a different area of the UK? I'm an ex-Brummie too and wouldn't move back there for all the money in the world either - although to be fair, I wouldn't move to any city, I love living in a yob free rural idyll too much!
I did note the hint of sarcasm but chose to ignore it as I think they are all valid factors behind why a person living in the UK would want to move. I too would rather live in a rural idyll isolated from the cities like Bham.

I would like to see examples or experiences people have had of these things in Canada? I dont doubt they exist, are they as prevalent though particularly away from the GTA and in more rural locations?

If its seen as cliche to quote these things as to why people leave the UK, then why aren't the people wanting to move back to the UK quoting these reasons as being factors behind them leaving Canada? I would bet it more likely to be failure to assimilate, settle in, find work, friends, homesickness etc.

Maybe migration is just a case of swapping one shi*hole for another as others have already quoted eh?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I did note the hint of sarcasm but chose to ignore it as I think they are all valid factors behind why a person living in the UK would want to move. I too would rather live in a rural idyll isolated from the cities like Bham.
Then explore that possibility...

I would like to see examples or experiences people have had of these things in Canada? I dont doubt they exist, are they as prevalent though particularly away from the GTA and in more rural locations?
See previouis post, finding a decent paying job in those locations is the trick. I spent a fun day yesterday at Canadas Wonderland with one of my kids (near Toronto, 2hrs drive or less), but as usual was glad to leave the city behind at the end of the day.

If its seen as cliche to quote these things as to why people leave the UK, then why aren't the people wanting to move back to the UK quoting these reasons as being factors behind them leaving Canada? I would bet it more likely to be failure to assimilate, settle in, find work, friends, homesickness etc.
See the returning to the UK forum for many examples of just that

Maybe migration is just a case of swapping one shi*hole for another as others have already quoted eh?
"Same shit is a shiner bucket" is an oft quoted phrase around here. Some people have commented that at least its usually a larger bucket.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

They're just as prevalent in cities, you can easily find news stories on murders, drugs, etc in Canada too. In fact murders per capita are higher in Canada than in the UK! You can't really compare a rural location in Canada with Birmingham though, it's like apples and oranges. Just as you couldn't compare a rural UK location with Toronto.

Plenty of people leaving Canada for all sorts of reasons, have a read of the Moving Back to the UK forum for their stories.

Canada is a fantastic country, as is the UK, but as Iaink has said it's far better to move for the love of a country, rather than the perceived negatives of the one you've left behind, as the same problems are everywhere unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.