Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Making the move ~ questons re crime and children (not in the same sentence)

Making the move ~ questons re crime and children (not in the same sentence)

Old Apr 26th 2014, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Making the move ~ questons re crime and children (not in the same sentence)

Thanks Blossom. Such a terrible shame about the burglary before Christmas too . Lol at the garage door!!!
Appreciate the post!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 8:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the move ~ questons re crime and children (not in the same sentence)

There is a lot more violent crime in Canada. Many people have access to firearms. The rural areas also have a desperate problem with drugs, especially crystal meth. In Vancouver and the surrounding areas there are murders and stabbings on weekly basis, I've been attacked at least a couple times over the last few years. I never experienced that in UK.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:02 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
There is a lot more violent crime in Canada. Many people have access to firearms. The rural areas also have a desperate problem with drugs, especially crystal meth. In Vancouver and the surrounding areas there are murders and stabbings on weekly basis, I've been attacked at least a couple times over the last few years. I never experienced that in UK.
Will agree on that. Although there is probably more theft and petty crime in the UK there is more violent crime here. I'm also surprised by the number and type of people (i.e easily angered) I've met who have restricted firearms licenses.

Last edited by jandro; Apr 26th 2014 at 10:06 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Will agree on that. Although there is probably more theft and petty crime in the UK there is more violent crime here. I'm also surprised by the number and type of people (i.e easily angered) I've met who have restricted firearms licenses.
Plus loads of people go down to the US and buy used firearms at gun shows and bring them. Back up by the boot full. And ammunition you can get at a sporting goods store with no ID. It's shocking.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom23
...but I don't feel as unsafe here as I do on a friday night walking through Weston-super-Mare when the pubs 'chuck out'..
Isn't that just the Bourneville area?

Mind you, it's been a good few years since I had the occasional night out in town there.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:40 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa
Hi all.
I was hoping to get some personal views rather than just going by informative websites etc.
My husband and I are pretty much settled on Canada to move to and it is just a matter of getting the ball rolling now.
I wanted to pick the brains of those who have already made the move.
How safe would you say it is there? As a whole I guess but we are specifically looking ag Alberta and maybe one day B.C.
I ask because we have only been in the UK a year having been living in the Canary Islands for several years and there is not a day goes by here that there is a murder/arson/assaults/robberies etc. I hate it and, while I realise crime is everywhre, I get the distinct impression that Canada doesn't suffer terribly with it.
In your view would this be an accurate statement?

Also we will be moving with young children and I wonder what the child friendly scene is like there. Mum and tot groups, days out, avtivities etc?

Thanks so much
Moving is a big deal. You should consider many aspects of life here beside crime rates. I moved here 5+ yr ago and safety was certainly on my agenda. Living in London we were hearing a lot about knife crime and teen gangs.
I was as well convinced that in Canada we will never have to worry about this things.
I would say that generally I feel safer here more than in London, and certainly feel my kids are safer on the streets. This is just a personal experience living in Toronto so not sure about the rest of the country.
I don't know that feeling safe will necessarily make you happy living here.
Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 2:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I'm also surprised by the number and type of people (i.e easily angered) I've met who have restricted firearms licenses.
Me! I even bought a gun (at a gas station drive through window, not a gun show) and brought it back. It seems to me that firearms licensing in Canada is based on the simple idea that people who want a gun license can have one.

That said, it's generally not the licensed gun owners who go out and kill people, if there was a serious intent to reduce the number of gun deaths then there'd need to be a serious effort to reduce the number of guns floating around, here and in the US, and that aint never gonna happen. There will always be a greater risk of being shot in Canada than in the UK because there are massively more guns in Canada than in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all. I do appreciate the replies as it is good to learn from people currently living there rather than internet blogs and write ups.
Obviously I am considering all aspects of life there, this is just one question I had, it would be a huge long post if I had asked all the questions I have, but this one is close to my heart due to personal experiences and so I wanted to know from others how they felt.
What with this and some of my other posts I am seeing a really mixed bag of good and bad, which I suppose is to be expected, but it is definitely worth knowing to make note of and discuss at home.
Thanks very much
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Isn't that just the Bourneville area?

Mind you, it's been a good few years since I had the occasional night out in town there.
No seriously... the town centre. About three years ago my brother and I had just been out with friends for a birthday supper and as we walked back to the car I just couldn't believe all the fighting and shouting drunks (Male and female) laying around in the street and falling over etc.. There were police (and police dogs) everywhere and for a few moments I was quite scared.... ... Quite frankly I was stunned ..

I haven't been inside the Bourneville area for years ... I only ever drive past it along Devonshire road on my way to my parents house ... however it can't possible be any worse than the scene I witnessed in Regent street and High street that night.. Trust me ... don't go there.. :thumb down: