magic jack!!

Old May 23rd 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default magic jack!!

hi, i was wondering if anyone has had experiences using the magic jack...i am thinking of getting it as its $20.00 a year..calls to america and canada are free and its cheap to call the UK..seems to good to be true..but if a polic officer uses it it cant be that bad (thats who told me about it)..any views would be appreciated
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: magic jack!!

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi, i was wondering if anyone has had experiences using the magic jack...i am thinking of getting it as its $20.00 a year..calls to america and canada are free and its cheap to call the UK..seems to good to be true..but if a polic officer uses it it cant be that bad (thats who told me about it)..any views would be appreciated
I've never heard of it so I googled "magic jack". This is the second hit....

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...m-c105684.html

You can always believe a polic officer.
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
By the look of it, it's VOIP. You plug your landline phone into the jack which in turn is plugged into your USB port into your computer.

Only problem i would see with it is that you'd probably need the software and computer running in order to use it which might be a pain.

I've never used it though so only guessing.

Edit: Looking at Novo's link, it also looks a bit shit.
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This is what put me off when I looked into it:

Unfortunately this device acts as spyware, it is also almost impossible to remove (it basically becomes part of windows) and if read close enough in the terms of agreement you you agree to allow Don Borislow of YMAX to access information from your computer and sell it third party so really is your identity worth the money you save a year on internet phone service. What sounds too good to be true, usually is...
Old May 26th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Silken will become famous soon enough

I use a magic jack and so does my Mom. Also bought one for my sister for her long-distance calls. They're not bad but the reception isn't always great. I'd say for the benefit of saying goodbye to all my telephone bills and for only $19.99 USD a YEAR, I'm happy.

I even called Brazil on it and it was pretty dang good!

Just don't expect the same quality of a landline but hell, you can save a lot of money.

Your computer must be on but what I do is I just leave it on all day and at night my family knows if it's an *emergency* they call my cell.
Old May 27th 2011, 2:42 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

A colleague of mine in the US uses this, it's a bit unreliable to say the least, plus having to leave a PC on all the time to receive calls... If you're a light user and don't mind having a PC on all the time then I guess it's ok.

I'm a seriously heavy phone user for work, sometimes up to 6 hrs a day on the phone. I use Vonage, which on the whole has been excellent and costs only $19.99 a month for the cheapest plan, or $29.99 for world calling.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
A colleague of mine in the US uses this, it's a bit unreliable to say the least, plus having to leave a PC on all the time to receive calls... If you're a light user and don't mind having a PC on all the time then I guess it's ok.

I'm a seriously heavy phone user for work, sometimes up to 6 hrs a day on the phone. I use Vonage, which on the whole has been excellent and costs only $19.99 a month for the cheapest plan, or $29.99 for world calling.
My guy in the States uses Vonage but since when did that become available in Canada?
Old May 27th 2011, 11:35 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silken
My guy in the States uses Vonage but since when did that become available in Canada?
Vonage has been available in Canada since 2004. Pretty sure a friend of mine uses it, and has done for at least a couple of years. He seems very happy with it and has rather low bills. Obviously if your internet connection goes down then you don't have any phone service.

As for Magic Jack, hmm, not convinced by it. I've read a few things that say it's not that great. Plus someone dug into the HTML code on the front page of their site a while back and found the "number of users" ticker thing was just a bit of javascript that incremented the counter and wasn't grabbing actual data from anywhere. If I recall, the owner of Magic Jack got a little uppity about someone doing that.

Last edited by sharkus; May 27th 2011 at 11:38 am.
Old May 27th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

If it's calls to Canada and the US landlines from your computer you want, I use Google Talk. It's free and calls to the UK are just a few cents.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, I wonder why I've never seen it advertised for Canada. The only ads I've ever seen for Vonage have been for the States. Well I looked it up... $19.99/month for the world plan for the first 3 months and then $29.99/month afterwards... not bad.

http://www.vonage.ca/
Old May 28th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I had Magic Jack for about two years and when it was good...but mostly and overall it was bad. I went back to a land line. It is a pity because I was saving a lot of money when I had it.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:13 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had my sons baseball coach call me via his magic jack and the quality was dreadful, I could only hear one in about three words...

For the amount I use vonage, I highly recommend it. For a light user, you might get away with magic jack, or something like http://www.freephoneline.ca/
Old May 28th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

I've used MJ and found it not too bad, but if you have an iPhone you could use some of the following-

For calls using wifi or 3G
1. Set up a google talk account then download talkatone app on your iPhone ( free calls to both CAD & USA )
2.download Nettalk app ( free CAD & USA calls )
3. download Icall app ( free CAD & USA calls only allows 3 mins per call )
4. Set up a google voice account ( can be done from out side USA with a little work round ) this is the one I use all the time it's by far the best for free calls to CAD & USA numbers plus allows free SMS you even get a free number but it has to be from your chosen US area code.
For free texts
Down Heywire app ( free texts to Canadian & USA plus other Heywire numbers )

Last edited by Scotjames; May 28th 2011 at 11:46 am.