Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How is this different to Brits, I know plenty like that, here and in the UK.
Presumably many Brits will just tell you to F*#% Off to your face and spare the two facedness?

I prefer the canadian way to be honest, although I dont think there is really a million miles between the way most brits behave in person and the way most canadians behave in person. Im not even sure what a canadian is now anyway, is it a cradle 4th generation WASP, and second generation chinese immigrant, is it me, my neighbours, an ex vietnamese boat person.... its a pointless empty label really.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:21 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How is this different to Brits, I know plenty like that, here and in the UK.
I don't think it is particularly different to "Brits".
I think that moving anywhere different exposes one to a lot of new people & as a result one is sensitised to aspects of society that seemed unimportant previously. I made a statement I believe to be true. You will have to forgive me but I'm a little preoccupied to get involved in yet another BE bullying session.. Let's just say that you are very tough, realistic, popular & successful & leave it at that..
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

The way to really get on with a Canadian is to love hockey and know millions of stats about games and players. To think going to Tim Hortens is a real treat and Denny's is a gourmet delight. To shop in Walmart with them and marvel at the deals and to own George Jones cd's and love nascar.
Actually, this is a pretty accurate description of many of the inhabitants of my neck of the woods.

More Swiss Chalet than Denny's though.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Actually, this is a pretty accurate description of many of the inhabitants of my neck of the woods.

I'll go with that too....

The damn place is always packed.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
My experience of cradles has been that they keep an obedient woman and unctuous children. The children I've met are compliant to the extent of never growing up, they live with their parents into their thirties and follow their parents' hobbies (iced hockey in particular). The women do not work outside the home but volunteer, with cats or similar, nothing that might spark controversy. The cradle families don't seem religious but have that excessive closeness one associates with Christianity, there's an air of ever diminishing gene pool about them.

(Note that these observations are based on cradles in the Beach and High Park areas of Toronto. Out in the country they're flagrantly inbred xenophobic beaters which is, at least, simple and overt.)

Of course, British immigrants often cite the "back to the fifties" feel of Canada as being a reason to move; grubby urchins playing in the street, houses left unlocked, all of that. The status of women here is just another side of that coin.
I suppose my experience is biased as that I work in a hospital where the majority of the workers are women. Our street is predominantly retired people and yes the women do volunteer and do good works. I'll have to find out how many of them worked before they hit pension age. Of the younger ones, the woman opposite works full time, another works in LCBO, and one doesn't work. She's recently changed the locks on her house and taken out a restraining order against her husband so I guess she wasn't obedient enough.

Now I come to think about it my Canadian friend's boyfriends had great problems coping with her having a good job and being able to cope without a man. They did tend to be rather patronising towards us but I thought that was just her bad choices rather than typical of cradles.

Your description does sound very middle class home counties Mrs Miniver stuff.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

That just seems to sum up Canada outside Toronto or Vancouver. No further explanation needed.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Somewhat tenuous definition of 'Canadian' -

"Bell, Alexander Graham (1847-1922) - born in Scotland, invented the telephone in Canada and developed it in the United States"
That IS funny!

It's like claiming Adolf Hitler was French.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 9:54 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That just seems to sum up Canada outside Toronto or Vancouver. No further explanation needed.
Been to any other Canadian cities much?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think it would be only fair to add Montreal and Quebec City to that list.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
That IS funny!

It's like claiming Adolf Hitler was French.
and Polish.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

and Polish.
<ahem>

Austrian?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<ahem>

Austrian?
That's just where he was born.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

<ahem>

Austrian?
So claiming that Bell is Canadian is like claiming Hitler was German (which no one argues with)... not born there but moved there and then did the stuff he was most (in)famous for there, living there until he died.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

That's just where he was born.
Ah, but not where he died.

That, as we all know, was in Patagonia.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Ah, but not where he died.

That, as we all know, was in Patagonia.
I didnt know Bell was interested in South America

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.