Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old May 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've just downloaded Series 1 of the Kenny Everett Television Show, I'm going to slow down ... you'll find me over there sniggering in the corner.
I used to love that show...

We have been watching Red Dwarf a lot lately - probably has something to do with me buying the full set for Mr Chookie for his birthday....
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I've just downloaded Series 1 of the Kenny Everett Television Show, I'm going to slow down ... you'll find me over there sniggering in the corner.
I liked Brother Lee Love.
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:59 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I was teaching an exercise class t'other day - we were stretching legs - one crosses over other - I then said "right change legs over and in the immortal words of Cupid Stunt its in the best possible taste"

completely blank looks all round cept for the one brit sniggering in the corner!
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I was teaching an exercise class t'other day - we were stretching legs - one crosses over other - I then said "right change legs over and in the immortal words of Cupid Stunt its in the best possible taste"

completely blank looks all round cept for the one brit sniggering in the corner!
I've found Fools and Horses references produce the blankest expressions

Originally Posted by Chookie
I used to love that show...

We have been watching Red Dwarf a lot lately - probably has something to do with me buying the full set for Mr Chookie for his birthday....
That was a good series, I didn't bother with the recent reunion thing, some things are best left in the past.

I had a 'Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast' t-shirt many years ago ...

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I liked Brother Lee Love.
Oh yes, he was good ... haven't stumbled across him yet in the my viewing ... the "Bomb The Bastards!" General was also good.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:48 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I've found Fools and Horses references produce the blankest expressions

That was a good series, I didn't bother with the recent reunion thing, some things are best left in the past.

I had a 'Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast' t-shirt many years ago ...

Oh yes, he was good ... haven't stumbled across him yet in the my viewing ... the "Bomb The Bastards!" General was also good.
yeah - standing at thebar asking for a red wine spritzer just draws blanks!
Old May 8th 2010, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Flaykee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bramley
We've been in Canada since Feb 09 and absolutely loving the country, the people however are a different story. Although we have met some of the most amazing people we're still wondering whether the majority are two faced and arrogant...Canadians need to take a chill pill
LOL OMG you are so right! I'm Canadian but thank goodness I like to think I am not one of THOSE Canadians! Probably helped that I lived in the UK for 9 years before my brit hubby and I moved to Canada. I apologize on a daily basis for bringing him here... we aren't happy here but my folks are getting older and being in the UK is too far to be from them.

BUT yes, hubby has pointed out the arrogance and two faced thing about people here. One thing we shake our heads at is how the rest of the world has this view that ALL Canadians are laid back, friendly Canadians... it ain't so! Have you ever worked with a strung out minimum wage paid Canadian stressing over getting something done for the boss? REALLY? Sorry, minimum wage, minimum effort! HAHAHA!

And listening to people at work, well yeah, I think I have to agree.... two facedness is a national past time!

OMG and LOL I even have a hard time dealing with my Canadian family! In their eyes, there is no place better than right here in small town Canada; and Europe is in such a bad way so you're better off here cuz it's wonderful. Oh where did you get your rose tinted glasses? Get me some too!!!

The complacency is unreal here but ONLY on important issues! Attitudes like Oh well, there's nothing we can do about taxes, hydro increases... we can't do anything so the whole darned country takes it all in stride! RISE UP AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!! GENERAL STRIKE!!! LOL

And that is my second rant today! Laid back at ALL THE WRONG TIMES AND PLACES... major issues! But oh no, don't dare tell me you don't have charcoal briquets for my bbq cuz I will let it be known then!! See, ranting and raving and complaining and b*tching in little things!!!

we're stuck in the 50's here with wages, working conditions. cost of living, so called democratic gov't... Hmmm maybe thats why people are the way they are here!!! But, yeah, Canadians, take a chill pill!!!

Last edited by Flaykee1; May 8th 2010 at 5:30 pm.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

.... Kenny would be so proud!

I should always review his DIY sketches before taking on any house renos!!

(Edited: UMM ... looks like I had a refresh issue, so this reply ties in with a page or two ago!)
.... I'll get me coat.

All the best,
Siv
Old May 8th 2010, 10:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flaykee1
LOL OMG you are so right! I'm Canadian but thank goodness I like to think I am not one of THOSE Canadians! Probably helped that I lived in the UK for 9 years before my brit hubby and I moved to Canada. I apologize on a daily basis for bringing him here... we aren't happy here but my folks are getting older and being in the UK is too far to be from them.

BUT yes, hubby has pointed out the arrogance and two faced thing about people here. One thing we shake our heads at is how the rest of the world has this view that ALL Canadians are laid back, friendly Canadians... it ain't so! Have you ever worked with a strung out minimum wage paid Canadian stressing over getting something done for the boss? REALLY? Sorry, minimum wage, minimum effort! HAHAHA!

And listening to people at work, well yeah, I think I have to agree.... two facedness is a national past time!

OMG and LOL I even have a hard time dealing with my Canadian family! In their eyes, there is no place better than right here in small town Canada; and Europe is in such a bad way so you're better off here cuz it's wonderful. Oh where did you get your rose tinted glasses? Get me some too!!!

The complacency is unreal here but ONLY on important issues! Attitudes like Oh well, there's nothing we can do about taxes, hydro increases... we can't do anything so the whole darned country takes it all in stride! RISE UP AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!! GENERAL STRIKE!!! LOL

And that is my second rant today! Laid back at ALL THE WRONG TIMES AND PLACES... major issues! But oh no, don't dare tell me you don't have charcoal briquets for my bbq cuz I will let it be known then!! See, ranting and raving and complaining and b*tching in little things!!!

we're stuck in the 50's here with wages, working conditions. cost of living, so called democratic gov't... Hmmm maybe thats why people are the way they are here!!! But, yeah, Canadians, take a chill pill!!!
I think you misspelled your nickname. It's spelled FLAKY.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flaykee1
Have you ever worked with a strung out minimum wage paid Canadian stressing over getting something done for the boss? REALLY? Sorry, minimum wage, minimum effort! HAHAHA!
Anyone works for me with that attitude and they're gone in a blink. Minimum effort - No job. This is why there are so many foreign workers coming in from Mexico, Nigeria and the Caribbean who want to work. Regrattably this results in the wages being taken out of the economy. At least it goes to someone who wants to work and do a good days work.

The ones stressing about getting something done for the boos are the ones that take pride in their work. These are the ones who will get ahead. Minimum effort, no chance.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Anyone works for me with that attitude and they're gone in a blink. Minimum effort - No job. This is why there are so many foreign workers coming in from Mexico, Nigeria and the Caribbean who want to work. Regrattably this results in the wages being taken out of the economy. At least it goes to someone who wants to work and do a good days work.

The ones stressing about getting something done for the boos are the ones that take pride in their work. These are the ones who will get ahead. Minimum effort, no chance.
Quite right. I can't remember the last time I took on a cradle. Lazy lot. No gumption. Think they owned the place the way they go on.

I've got a Ukranian, a Bulgarian, a Zulu, two Iranians and a Pakistani at the moment. Everything goes like clockwork. Oh, and a Palestinian, I forgot her.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:07 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quite right. I can't remember the last time I took on a cradle. Lazy lot. No gumption. Think they owned the place the way they go on.

I've got a Ukranian, a Bulgarian, a Zulu, two Iranians and a Pakistani at the moment. Everything goes like clockwork. Oh, and a Palestinian, I forgot her.
Do they all work for you? I'm guessing so. Things tend to work best when a Brit is in charge of a bunch of assorted foreigners, including Canada natives. It's wot we do best.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

ha ha, like it!!

I do the good life classes all the time and i love them, specially body pump and RPM! I am hooked!!

Glad you seem happier, i read a lot of your post from a while ago,
Old May 9th 2010, 2:50 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
ha ha, like it!!

I do the good life classes all the time and i love them, specially body pump and RPM! I am hooked!!

Glad you seem happier, i read a lot of your post from a while ago,
Thanks Pk - am def happier now I am back teaching - I teach Body Pump and Body Combat and have just taken NewBody course!
Are you at the club with Mad Kalina as the GM?

I do RPM but would prefer to be out on my bike - and me and Body Jam / Zumba - not pretty!
Old May 9th 2010, 2:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Do they all work for you? I'm guessing so. Things tend to work best when a Brit is in charge of a bunch of assorted foreigners, including Canada natives. It's wot we do best.
Oh yes. They all work for me. And they're very grateful. I had a cradle once who was equally so.

I see we share the same point of view on English superiority.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

The things said about Canadians could also be said about Australians... I think it's not so much to do with nationality but more about the kind of similar modern society existing in both countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.