Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Tropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really nice
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

LoL... Need a bucket? So nice I will bring you one lol...
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
Not all Canadians are like that I must admit (just quite a few) lol
Seriously, we have met some wonderful Canadians and hope to meet more I just find people discussing others behind their back in front of anyone who happens to be there rather than to their face pretty frustrating at times that's all.
It's a non-confrontational thang.

Example:
One of my three jobs involves working for two guys who co-own a business. One of them is Canadian, the other from England.
A couple of weeks back I was on a job with the Canadian boss. A few glitches occurred - mostly down to my lack of training - but nothing really really bad and nothing was said...

...until the next day when I got a call from my English boss who was on a job in Nova Scotia (I'm in Ontario) who said that his partner wasn't very happy with the way things had gone the night before and it had caused problems.
Basically, rather than tell me about any issues there and then, my Canadian boss had called my British boss up to get him to bollock me. That night, I was working with the Canadian guy again and he was all smiles and "Don't worry about it; nothing more to be said."

We get on fine and have a good laugh from time to time but I feel this lack of willingness to talk to me about issues has jaded our relationship. As a result, I don't trust him as much as I used to.

The Canadians I work with in my other jobs are similar in a way too. If they have a problem with you, they'll bitch and moan about it with other people including management (even if it's a personality thing) and you find out about it second or third hand, yet they're as nice as pie to your face.

I'm not saying that there are no Brits who behave in a similar manner, but imho it seems more prevalent here than at home. Generally if I've had issues with someone I've worked with in the UK, we've discussed it face to face.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Tropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really nice

Mr. Lee I read your comment and I have to say I quite agree with you that would be one of the very frustrating things about Canadian culture. I myself a Canadian born person have worked for others in the past and yes so true if a problem arises not much is said to your face but rather it almost felt intentional. Later on the poop hits the fan. Not cool!!! I agree it is one of those things that can drive you crazy if you let it. lol.

Being Canadian I can't even disagree! Not all are that way but yes many on the job tend to not address it right away or pass the buck as we say when it comes to scolding an employee. Not a very productive way to relate to employee's. Hence the reason I work for myself as many Canadians are opting to do.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

Example:
One of my three jobs involves working for two guys who co-own a business. One of them is Canadian, the other from England.
A couple of weeks back I was on a job with the Canadian boss. A few glitches occurred - mostly down to my lack of training - but nothing really really bad and nothing was said...

...until the next day when I got a call from my English boss who was on a job in Nova Scotia (I'm in Ontario) who said that his partner wasn't very happy with the way things had gone the night before and it had caused problems.
Basically, rather than tell me about any issues there and then, my Canadian boss had called my British boss up to get him to bollock me. That night, I was working with the Canadian guy again and he was all smiles and "Don't worry about it; nothing more to be said."

We get on fine and have a good laugh from time to time but I feel this lack of willingness to talk to me about issues has jaded our relationship. As a result, I don't trust him as much as I used to.

The Canadians I work with in my other jobs are similar in a way too. If they have a problem with you, they'll bitch and moan about it with other people including management (even if it's a personality thing) and you find out about it second or third hand, yet they're as nice as pie to your face.

I'm not saying that there are no Brits who behave in a similar manner, but imho it seems more prevalent here than at home. Generally if I've had issues with someone I've worked with in the UK, we've discussed it face to face.
At last!! someone finally knows what I'm talking about...WhooHoo!!!!
I agree there are Brits who are the same but as a rule you generally get it first hand instead of playing Chinese whispers first...great example
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tropicalphotobugg
Mr. Lee I read your comment and I have to say I quite agree with you that would be one of the very frustrating things about Canadian culture. I myself a Canadian born person have worked for others in the past and yes so true if a problem arises not much is said to your face but rather it almost felt intentional. Later on the poop hits the fan. Not cool!!! I agree it is one of those things that can drive you crazy if you let it. lol.

Being Canadian I can't even disagree! Not all are that way but yes many on the job tend to not address it right away or pass the buck as we say when it comes to scolding an employee. Not a very productive way to relate to employee's. Hence the reason I work for myself as many Canadians are opting to do.
You're a Canadian and agree you've just made my night
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Bramley although what Mr. Lee is saying is true in certain circumstances and you happily agree... If the issue is so huge that you conclude that Canadians are soooo two faced then why didn't you address each issue as it came to you with each Canadian you had issues with? (Face to face as you like it.)

You complained about people talking about each other behind there backs but isn't that what your doing here? You started a forum to discuss how rotton Canadians are behind there backs while living in the same country from what it sounds like. Isn't that kinda hypocritical? LoL... Were gonna call this forum "Calling the kettle black"... lol... I throw the peace card on all you lmao... I will prescribe chill pills for everyone lol hell I will even take one myself lol. We can call it a day. lmao...

I have been very open and honest with you so can we be friends lol...Have a good evening all...
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You're a Canadian and agree you've just made my night
Do you make the pipe benders or the apples?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=P075
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tropicalphotobugg
Bramley although what Mr. Lee is saying is true in certain circumstances and you happily agree... If the issue is so huge that you conclude that Canadians are soooo two faced then why didn't you address each issue as it came to you with each Canadian you had issues with? (Face to face as you like it.)

You complained about people talking about each other behind there backs but isn't that what your doing here? You started a forum to discuss how rotton Canadians are behind there backs while living in the same country from what it sounds like. Isn't that kinda hypocritical? LoL... Were gonna call this forum "Calling the kettle black"... lol... I throw the peace card on all you lmao... I will prescribe chill pills for everyone lol hell I will even take one myself lol. We can call it a day. lmao...

I have been very open and honest with you so can we be friends lol...Have a good evening all...
but would just like to point out before the chill pills run out is:

1. I'm not back stabbing a specific person and never said Canadians were rotten merely two faced.
2. I already have addressed it and said if they want to discuss someone then don't do it in front of me because I don't want to know.
3. I never realised people were like that till we moved here so no I don't think it was being hypocritical.

Right, think it's time for a beer...cheers
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Do you make the pipe benders or the apples?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=P075
nice one Deadvim, that gave me a proper tummy chuckle
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:14 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Example:

this seems to me to be more of a workplace culture coming into play. I've had a similar experience years ago where the boss was running backwards between me and another employee who took exception with how i was managing - it was me in the end that suggested a round table.

I see much wrong though, with spinning this to suggest that Canadians as a whole are lacking. I don't see much difference overall with the UK or the US when I lived there. Vancouverites can be conservative but I don't see that as a particularly negative trait.

Too be honest I never give it much thought till i came on BE and I've been here for years.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
this seems to me to be more of a workplace culture coming into play. I've had a similar experience years ago where the boss was running backwards between me and another employee who took exception with how i was managing - it was me in the end that suggested a round table.

I see much wrong though, with spinning this to suggest that Canadians as a whole are lacking. I don't see much difference overall with the UK or the US when I lived there. Vancouverites can be conservative but I don't see that as a particularly negative trait.

Too be honest I never give it much thought till i came on BE and I've been here for years.
Yeah - don't get me wrong. It wasn't a judgement against all Canadians. Just based on my experience in a way to give the OP a bit of breathing space.

There does seem a conformity to stereotype in a lot of instances though where Canadians - to your face - are just too damned nice.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

No-one has suggested that Canadians are lacking in the slightest, it was just an example of how people communicate here, nothing more. The point being made was instead of hearing things from the horses mouth it circulates like a newspaper first.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:51 am

No-one has suggested that Canadians are lacking in the slightest, it was just an example of how people communicate here, nothing more. The point being made was instead of hearing things from the horses mouth it circulates like a newspaper first.
fair enough. I see it as simply being different. I can easily highlight traits of northerners that I don't miss. As a whole, I don't like them anymore or less than cradles, except man city fans of course.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

fair enough. I see it as simply being different. I can easily highlight traits of northerners that I don't miss. As a whole, I don't like them anymore or less than cradles, except man city fans of course.
Oi! Less of the Northern bashing!

What's a "cradle", btw (apart from something a baby sleeps in).
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:43 am

Oi! Less of the Northern bashing!

What's a "cradle", btw (apart from something a baby sleeps in).
i'm a northerner so tis allowed.

Cradle in reference to Canadians proper not us imported pretenders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.