Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

huh??
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
huh??
LOL, you REALLY want me to explain

I guess that one was a swing and a miss...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:06 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

am having a blonde senior moment day!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I figure there are some poor people who live there, probably in the servants wing of the big houses They are the ones driving the Hondas and VWs
I think you'll find one provides accommodation for the domestic staff in the treehouse at the bottom of one's garden.

But hang on a minute... I drive a Honda or, worse, a Hyundai. Does that make me one of Oakville's poor? I shall have to sack the servants forthwith and move the family into the East Wing.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:23 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

i dont get that either ..... can you explain cos that'll bug me!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
i dont get that either ..... can you explain cos that'll bug me!
Thats two swings and misses...

I guess those 1930s airship disaster references are just wasted on young people today...
Spoiler:

I was contrasting a trivial disaster that killed 36, with the awful predicament of poor souvy having to dress, and worse yet, shave, for work. I guess if I have to explain, it probably wasnt funny in the first place. Oh the humanity.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 29th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:26 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Thats two swings and misses...

I guess those 1930s airship disaster references are just wasted on young people today...
Spoiler:

I was contrasting a trivial disaster that killed 36, with the awful predicament of poor souvy having to dress, and worse yet, shave, for work. I guess if I have to explain, it probably wasnt funny in the first place. Oh the humanity.
i know kind of ruins it when you have to explain it ...... i like you - you called me young! thank you for that!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Tropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really nice

REPLY IN GENERAL.

While I do believe everyone has right to have an opinion about whatever they want, I think we have to be mindful sometimes about that fact that what we say can offend people.

Unless you have been to Canada probably not a good idea to share misconceptions or generalize and based one persons actions towards you on an entire county.

Being a very open minded individual I realize that if I choose to travel I am aware that when I arrive nothing will be like it was back home. That is fine that is the reason I am travelling is so that I can experience different cultures, foods, people etc... I take the good with the bad and leave with an overall good experience. Attitude has everything to do with our experiences and the way we are received and treated.

Example Short story! lol...
I love meeting people from all over Europe and the U.K. it is enjoyable to hear stories and share convo with them. One day I met some people from England... I was as generous as I could be, I assisted them with showing them around the city, helping them find a house to rent, taking them to go buy groceries, find jobs etc... I was excited to have these new friends as I am a sociable person and enjoy all my friends.

I noticed as the comfort level grew so did the random insults towards Canada and Canadians. They began to complain about Canada anytime they felt like it, not taking into consideration that it was a Canadian who attempted to make them feel welcome and happy. After backing away without causing issues but really started to think that perhaps some people should never leave home and travel...LOL...

I found (these ladies) manners to be quite poor and there tolerance level to quite minimal. I felt bad that they showed as much ignorance as they did considering they were not at home and despite the fact that they had many reaching out to them to help them. They basically spit on the faces of those who were assisting them. Moral of the story is that if you want things to be like home?? Then stay home~!

My conclusion: I do not have this opinion about all people from England because I feel that would be ignorant. (((I feel it was an isolated incident))) and still would welcome anyone from any where to visit and treat them well.

Yet on this discussion I am hearing the complete opposite but oh well to each there own. FYI Vancouver is a greatttt place to visit! Come check us out, we will be kind to you even if you don't like us lmbo... Were quite diplomatic you know lol.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

We see so many tribes overrun and undermined
While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind
Better people...better food...and better beer...
Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:41 pm
not wired right

i'm glad you dont class everyone from england in the same boat, cos no we're not all like that, jus as all canadians arent the same, i'm english an have met some real aholes - english,american,canadian all sorts!

an i dare say once im in canada i'll meet some more english/canadians/french whatever, whom i will deem as aholes an i'll meet some an be glad to know them, where i am at the mo in greece there is a large english / german / french community and i mix with very few of them, cos the rest i consider aholes

you cant like everyone and as you say its wrong to say that one bad apple an all that! unfortunately there are a few who are bigots and that narrow minded an put everyone in the same boat which is a real shame cos they could be missin out on some good freindships!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Tropicalphotobugg:

Your point was well-intentioned, and very reasonable, however I must take issue.

You will no doubt have noticed that we Brits LIKE to carp and to complain. We LOVE to pass judgement and to make uninformed generalisations… the more uninformed the better.

Sadly, as a Canadian, you are just too damned nice and reasonable for your own good. It’s not your fault, it’s just that… well, there’s no point trying to explain, you wouldn’t understand.

Don’t be offended – it really is nothing to do with you as an individual, or as a Canadian… I think in every single country in the world there are a bunch of Brits who whinge and complain and judge – and they honestly couldn’t be happier. In fact, the only thing that makes them happier is when a new Brit rolls into town and they can pass on their expert knowledge and opinions and prejudices as indisputable fact.

It’s just the way we are, and it's wot makes us Great.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Tropicalphotobugg:

Your point was well-intentioned, and very reasonable, however I must take issue.

You will no doubt have noticed that we Brits LIKE to carp and to complain. We LOVE to pass judgement and to make uninformed generalisations… the more uninformed the better.

Sadly, as a Canadian, you are just too damned nice and reasonable for your own good. It’s not your fault, it’s just that… well, there’s no point trying to explain, you wouldn’t understand.

Don’t be offended – it really is nothing to do with you as an individual, or as a Canadian… I think in every single country in the world there are a bunch of Brits who whinge and complain and judge – and they honestly couldn’t be happier. In fact, the only thing that makes them happier is when a new Brit rolls into town and they can pass on their expert knowledge and opinions and prejudices as indisputable fact.

It’s just the way we are, and it's wot makes us Great.
Too damn nice? *cough* only to your face
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Tropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really nice

@ Scottandsel & Jingsamichty hope I spelled that correct! Anyhoo your comments were well said so cheers! You seem like great people!

@ Bramley...Well well what can I say based on your last comment it seems you have made up your mind about us Canadians or I am sure you have other names for us and are too nice on here to say it lol. I will make you a promise personally. I for one am a pretty chill even without the chill pill However my promise to you is I can travel to the U.K. and we can sit down and have a drink lol... I promise not to be arrogant or two faced in fact if it makes you feel better I can tell you to your face what I think of you only if I have concluded something based on fact and accuracy until then I will remain being me and conclude that you had a bad experience here and probably are fairly decent human being. Cheers hope the best for your future and that your experiences from now on are pleasant!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tropicalphotobugg
@ Scottandsel & Jingsamichty hope I spelled that correct! Anyhoo your comments were well said so cheers! You seem like great people!

@ Bramley...Well well what can I say based on your last comment it seems you have made up your mind about us Canadians or I am sure you have other names for us and are too nice on here to say it lol. I will make you a promise personally. I for one am a pretty chill even without the chill pill However my promise to you is I can travel to the U.K. and we can sit down and have a drink lol... I promise not to be arrogant or two faced in fact if it makes you feel better I can tell you to your face what I think of you only if I have concluded something based on fact and accuracy until then I will remain being me and conclude that you had a bad experience here and probably are fairly decent human being. Cheers hope the best for your future and that your experiences from now on are pleasant!
Such simpering humility...I think I am going to be sick....
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tropicalphotobugg

Not all Canadians are like that I must admit (just quite a few) lol
Seriously, we have met some wonderful Canadians and hope to meet more I just find people discussing others behind their back in front of anyone who happens to be there rather than to their face pretty frustrating at times that's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.