Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Love Canada, not sure about the people

Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Love Canada, not sure about the people

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Had to say when i first posted on here ( under a different name ) i encountered some rather nasty posts and it does put you off, i do wonder some times if thats what Canada does to these posters
Unfortunately there are a few folk on here who love to attack and belittle other posters in the name of "fun", or so they say once called out on it. Ignore them, your posts are valued, more so than these other idiots in my opinion.

I noticed that most of these put downs come from posters from other areas of the forum, who probably have no experience of Canada or the people, ie Australia, Greece & Zambia!!

I have had, and posted on here before about it, similar experiences, keep up providing your opinions they all help folk make up their minds.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:15 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
We've been in Canada since Feb 09 and absolutely loving the country, the people however are a different story. Although we have met some of the most amazing people we're still wondering whether the majority are two faced and arrogant...Canadians need to take a chill pill
Originally Posted by dormy
Unfortunately there are a few folk on here who love to attack and belittle other posters in the name of "fun"...

I have had, and posted on here before about it, similar experiences, keep up providing your opinions they all help folk make up their minds.
I don't think people are attacking as such. I think many replies on here are reactionary to ostentatious threads/posts such as the initial one here.

Everybody is quite rightly entitled to an opinion but when somebody posts something so potentially inflammatory, without substance, and on a forum where people have close ties to Canadians (by marriage, birth, friendship etc) then originators of such threads and posts shouldn't be surprised when somebody retorts or reacts.

The irony of somebody suggesting Canadians need a chill pill shortly before huffing away after some, what could be perceived as, harmless fun and jest is brilliant.

I hope the OP sticks around and doesn't let this forum get to them. I also hope they will now think before they type, as many many people should do (including myself).

Last edited by el_richo; Apr 27th 2010 at 12:00 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The OP isn't the only woman to comment that women here have Stepford wife tendencies. It isn't my experience though over here in Ontario. Where is the OP living??
My experience of cradles has been that they keep an obedient woman and unctuous children. The children I've met are compliant to the extent of never growing up, they live with their parents into their thirties and follow their parents' hobbies (iced hockey in particular). The women do not work outside the home but volunteer, with cats or similar, nothing that might spark controversy. The cradle families don't seem religious but have that excessive closeness one associates with Christianity, there's an air of ever diminishing gene pool about them.

(Note that these observations are based on cradles in the Beach and High Park areas of Toronto. Out in the country they're flagrantly inbred xenophobic beaters which is, at least, simple and overt.)

Of course, British immigrants often cite the "back to the fifties" feel of Canada as being a reason to move; grubby urchins playing in the street, houses left unlocked, all of that. The status of women here is just another side of that coin.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 27th 2010 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:07 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there are a few folk on here who love to attack and belittle other posters in the name of "fun", or so they say once called out on it. Ignore them, your posts are valued, more so than these other idiots in my opinion.
Agreed. And she has my sympathies too for getting bullied for posting an innocent thread. But from her replies and the way shes responded to jokes, I'm not surprised why is she so crossed with Canadians
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:17 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My experience of cradles has been that they keep an obedient woman and unctuous children. The children I've met are compliant to the extent of never growing up, they live with their parents into their thirties and follow their parents' hobbies (iced hockey in particular). The women do not work outside the home but volunteer, with cats or similar, nothing that might spark controversy. The cradle families don't seem religious but have that excessive closeness one associates with Christianity, there's an air of ever diminishing gene pool about them.

(Note that these observations are based on cradles in the Beach and High Park areas of Toronto. Out in the country they're flagrantly inbred xenophobic beaters which is, at least, simple and overt.)

Of course, British immigrants often cite the "back to the fifties" feel of Canada as being a reason to move; grubby urchins playing in the street, houses left unlocked, all of that. The status of women here is just another side of that coin.
Your bit of Canada is clearly very different to mine.

On my little street there are about 15 houses. Most of the wives in them have full-time jobs, five that I can think of have been obedient enough to kick hubby out and I'm not aware of any adult children still living at home.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

On my little street there are about 15 houses. Most of the wives in them have full-time jobs, five that I can think of have been obedient enough to kick hubby out and I'm not aware of any adult children still living at home.
Dbd's bit/view/experience of Canada (if not life itself) is different from pretty much everyone else. Here in the Far East I struggle to think of any stay at home mums......Ok one, but she's English.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

I noticed that most of these put downs come from posters from other areas of the forum, who probably have no experience of Canada or the people, ie Australia, Greece & Zambia!!

So wait. OK for OP to make her inflammatory remarks and then attack and be all self righteous when she get a taste of her own medicine? Give me a break.

And how would YOU know what experience the posters from Greece, Australia and Zambia have of Canada. I for one have a lot.

And finally I agree; I hope OP continues to give her opinion and stays on the forum.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

But was that true when you lived in Oakville?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Here in the Far East I struggle to think of any stay at home mums.
A working wife is something that is frowned upon by my cradle colleagues as it indicates a failure on the part of a man to adequately provide. Admitting to having one would be a career limiting move in a department headed by a cradle. This attitude in large part explains why, even when they were at school two blocks away, my daughters wouldn't come into our office. They didn't like being patted on the head.

Note though that cradles are a tiny minority in the workplace, 3 of 28 people on the current team were born in Canada, so their strange and backward attitudes don't hold much sway.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:46 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

But was that true when you lived in Oakville?
Almost all the people I knew there were immigrants. Of the handful of cradles, I can only think of one who was married. His wife worked full time and they had no kids. Mercifully.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:51 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bramley
We've been in Canada since Feb 09 and absolutely loving the country, the people however are a different story. Although we have met some of the most amazing people we're still wondering whether the majority are two faced and arrogant...Canadians need to take a chill pill
including my wife?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience of cradles has been that they keep an obedient woman and unctuous children. The children I've met are compliant to the extent of never growing up, they live with their parents into their thirties and follow their parents' hobbies (iced hockey in particular).
It's true that most of the people I know from GTA that are in their 30s are still living at home. Now the main reason is the difficulty in finding jobs, and even if you do find one alot of people have massive student loans (40-50k on a simple bachelors degree) that they have to pay off. So there really is no money left over at the end of the month to afford your own place.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Had to say when i first posted on here ( under a different name ) i encountered some rather nasty posts and it does put you off, i do wonder some times if thats what Canada does to these posters

Bramley please don't stop posting, you had a valid point and one i have noticed from the few Canadian people posted over here in the UK at the moment that i have a lot of contact with,
I do think the posters were joking with you at least thats how i saw it, maybe a little sensative at the moment if there are problems settling ?

Hope you can meet some nice Canadians ( what about volunteering ) let us know how you get on, Good luck
Why do people spit the dummy rather than report posts that they think warrant action? The mods (contrary to rumour) dont lurk here 24/7 waiting to pounce, we do have lives away from BE, but there is usually a mod somewhere in the world on duty who can take a look.

Some sort of humour bypass seems to have occurred here, but it would be nice if people were more sympathetic to the way another poster might be feeling too and take that into account.

Of course its ironic in a thread about how canadians are soulless automatons that its the British that are insensitive and overbearing.

I do read a lot of threads here and wonder how my experience of life here in Canada is so totally divorced from some other peoples.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
It's true that most of the people I know from GTA that are in their 30s are still living at home. Now the main reason is the difficulty in finding jobs, and even if you do find one alot of people have massive student loans (40-50k on a simple bachelors degree) that they have to pay off. So there really is no money left over at the end of the month to afford your own place.
I dont thinks that much different to the UK in terms of trying to get on the housing ladder. Anywhere where property is expensive relative to salary levels will see the same thing wont it?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont thinks that much different to the UK in terms of trying to get on the housing ladder. Anywhere where property is expensive relative to salary levels will see the same thing wont it?
Yep but then it doesn't help that you have a large loan already weighing you down. How expensive is Uni in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.