Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions from a new member

Lots of questions from a new member

Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

balamorygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lots of questions from a new member

Hello everyone, we are just starting to think about canada, Calgary in particular. We are planning to visit next May and then decide whether to apply (we would take the skilled worker route). We have two small children.

Getting a job concerns us already!! I am a secretary, but would not be working for a few years (looking after kids). My husband is a painter and decorator and there doesn't appear to be that many jobs around!!

Also we are a bit worried about driving. I drive but I am a nervous driver. My husband doesnt drive at all (although he did pass his test years ago!!) I have heard that you just have to drive to get around ! Can anyone give us some advice?

We were wondering if we could just live on savings for the first year, to give us a chance to settle in (and look after the children!!).

We would have about £100k after selling our house here, and wondered if we should rent or buy. Any advice?? I like the look of some of the 'forest communities' that seem to be springing up around Calgary, can anyone tell me about them??

I've got loads more questions but I'll stop for now!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

You can check at the HRDC site (Human Resources Development) which lists jobs per area. I clicked on Alberta, then Calgary area and typed in painter and it brought some jobs which would at least give an idea of salaries etc. http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Prov_en.asp?Student=false

I can't see why your husband couldn't set himself up a self employed but he would definitely need 4 wheels. Canada is huge and for more work he'll need to travel around. Also you may be able to find some work from home. (I just checked out a few jobs in the website above and they all said own transport required!)

Hope it's a start. We're moving to Winnipeg next year so can't give much info. on Calgary but if I find anything I'll let you know.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lots of questions from a new member

Have a search on the internet for new residential areas being built and contact the builders directly. When we visited Calgary on route to Sask, if I remember rightly its in the south of the city. The reason I mention it is that there is a distinct shortage of trades here in Saskatoon. The painter who came to finish our house told me that the chippies working on the house opposite were earning around $200k. It's possible the same will apply to Alberta.

Originally posted by balamorygirl
Hello everyone, we are just starting to think about canada, Calgary in particular. We are planning to visit next May and then decide whether to apply (we would take the skilled worker route). We have two small children.

Getting a job concerns us already!! I am a secretary, but would not be working for a few years (looking after kids). My husband is a painter and decorator and there doesn't appear to be that many jobs around!!

Also we are a bit worried about driving. I drive but I am a nervous driver. My husband doesnt drive at all (although he did pass his test years ago!!) I have heard that you just have to drive to get around ! Can anyone give us some advice?

We were wondering if we could just live on savings for the first year, to give us a chance to settle in (and look after the children!!).

We would have about £100k after selling our house here, and wondered if we should rent or buy. Any advice?? I like the look of some of the 'forest communities' that seem to be springing up around Calgary, can anyone tell me about them??

Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:52 am
Just Joined

slingshotz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by balamorygirl

You could easily live on savings IF you budget wisely. It might be hard for you to initially buy as neither of you would have any credit history in Canada for a mortgage.

A word of warning about Calgary, it's getting more and more expensive by the minute (one of the problems of a rapidly expanding city). On the other hand hte job market is pretty decent, especially for tradesmen type work.

Sadly, you do really need a car in Calgary if you are going to live in the outlying communities, or are self-employed. However, the public transport system is pretty decent and if you choose your base wisely it is possible to get to work quicker with a bus than by driving. You'll also find that the drivers in Calgary are generally worse than the UK (that's one of the reasons auto insurance is so insanely expensive) and less likely to move aside for you. I've driven in Calgary about 10 years and in the UK for 5 so I have experience I think that the combination of loads of traffic and narrow roads in the UK makes you a more aware/alert driver, compared to the wide roads and generally less traffic in Calgary.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:32 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default living in the city?

perhaps if you lived in a bigger city public transit would be an option..

if he is a painter though he will need his supplies, thus, he will need his wheels..

perhaps he should think about driving again..

and maybe you might consider vancouver.. less snow for your skittish driving. just a thought, if you are already concerned on those 2 points, maybe look at other locations that might make you feel better about the move.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crazydaisy
You can check at the HRDC site (Human Resources Development) which lists jobs per area. I clicked on Alberta, then Calgary area and typed in painter and it brought some jobs which would at least give an idea of salaries etc. http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Prov_en.asp?Student=false

You might also want to check

http://www.workopolis.com/index.html

and

http://www.jobsetc.ca

where you can sign up for an email alert service
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by slingshotz
You could easily live on savings IF you budget wisely. It might be You'll also find that the drivers in Calgary are generally worse than the UK (that's one of the reasons auto insurance is so insanely expensive) and less likely to move aside for you. I've driven in Calgary about 10 years and in the UK for 5 so I have experience I think that the combination of loads of traffic and narrow roads in the UK makes you a more aware/alert driver, compared to the wide roads and generally less traffic in Calgary.

Some-one else posted these stats in the OZ section the other day, but I think they're interesting.
Deaths per billion vehicle kms (2001...figures from the OECD)

UK...7.5
Australia...9.1
Canada...9.5
New Zealand...12.4
France...14.8

(obviously the lower the figure the better, from a road safety point of view)
Old Oct 29th 2003, 2:11 am
Just Joined

slingshotz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BCBOY
Some-one else posted these stats in the OZ section the other day, but I think they're interesting.
Deaths per billion vehicle kms (2001...figures from the OECD)

UK...7.5
Australia...9.1
Canada...9.5
New Zealand...12.4
France...14.8

(obviously the lower the figure the better, from a road safety point of view)
That's an incredible statistic considering I used to drive freaking fast on the motorways (well fast for me at 90mph) and there would ALWAYS be people blowing past me on the fast lane. I think generally the speeds are much higher in the UK than Canada and yet there are lower deaths. It's not necessarily speed that kills but incompetent drivers

One last word for Canadians MOVE OUT OF THE FAST LANE!!!! People here (Calgary anyways) have no concept of the left fast lane and are content to sit there going 95kph. I really miss driving in UK and Europe sometimes, not the traffic mind you but the road manners.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

Originally posted by slingshotz
That's an incredible statistic considering I used to drive freaking fast on the motorways (well fast for me at 90mph) and there would ALWAYS be people blowing past me on the fast lane. I think generally the speeds are much higher in the UK than Canada and yet there are lower deaths. It's not necessarily speed that kills but incompetent drivers

One last word for Canadians MOVE OUT OF THE FAST LANE!!!! People here (Calgary anyways) have no concept of the left fast lane and are content to sit there going 95kph. I really miss driving in UK and Europe sometimes, not the traffic mind you but the road manners.
In the US they don't have a fast lane so it's so cut throat - you can be overtaken from either side and people chop in and out it scares me half to death. And people here get to drive so young it's crazy :scared: