Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Lots of questions about Edmonton

Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:36 am
Just Joined

infomassiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lots of questions about Edmonton

If think everyone has covered the best answers. Depending on your budget flying might be the most comfortable way
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Shane08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lychee thats amazing thanks, I think whale watching & whistler is definitely on our sooner rather than later lists. Churchill may have to be a "one day" type thing. Niagra falls we may do as part of an America trip (go from washington or something) I would love to do the glass top train around the rockies one day and of course see abit more of the states (we have a long bucket list)

Yeah I didn't really realize how massive Canada was until I started looking at how to get around. I appreciate that holiday entitlement is alot less than here in the UK but some of the closer stuff will try and do in long weekends. We have been looking at Banff aswell as it looks amazing and only a 4 hour drive according to maps, which is same as cornwall from bristol.

Really appreciate all the help guys, its getting closer now house is going on market this week, most of our stuff is sold and have signed contracts. Getting excited now
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
The best way to get around the country of Canada? Seeing how Canada is larger than all of Europe (without any of the high speed rail infrastructure or the population densities to support it), it is often best to fly between regions, unless you have unlimited time and want to spend a long time on the road. Edmonton to Niagara Falls, for example, is the same distance as London to Istanbul.

Also note that some of these activities are seasonal, and extremely expensive. As a result, one does not typically "see the country" of Canada as one sees the country in the UK. All of the UK is easily accessible, cheaply. This isn't the case for Canada. To see Canada, you need a lot of time and a lot of money.

Out of curiosity, I did some research.

Edmonton to Niagara Falls would involve a 4 hour flight from Edmonton to Toronto (prices range from $500 to about $700 return, per person), and then a bus tour or rental car to Niagara Falls, which is a 1 hour 35 minute drive away. Alternatively, you can drive from Edmonton to Niagara Falls in 43 hours (not including stops). If you drove 6 hours a day, you'd arrive in Niagara Falls one week later. If you drove via the USA, it would take 34 hours.

Polar bear viewing in Churchill is one of the most expensive activities you can do in Canada, and as a result, the average Canadian has never seen a polar bear outside of a zoo. Polar bears can only be guaranteed during a few weeks of October/November. Usually the tours are done through organized packages, and usually cost close to $10,000 per person, but that includes the 2 hour flight from Winnipeg to Churchill, as well as accommodation and meals. They are not cheap. You would also have to find your way to Winnipeg. Unless you wanted to drive 15 hours, you would fly 2 hours from Edmonton to Winnipeg (about $480 return, per person). Usually the organized tours meet you in Winnipeg.

Kayaking with belugas can be done in the summer months of July and August. This would be dramatically cheaper than the polar bear tours. Again, you'd want to fly to Winnipeg, then either take another flight to Churchill (prices range $600-$1000 return, per person via Calm Air) or a tremendously slow train ride (which takes 45 hours, one way, costing about $400 return). This does not factor in hotel, meals, or the actual kayaking tour in Churchill, but I imagine it would cost much less than $10,000 per person.

Whale watching for orcas off the coast of Vancouver happens from April until October. Best advice would be to fly to Vancouver (1 hour, 35 minute flight, about $400 return, per person), and then choose from one of the various whale watch companies. Vancouver Whale Watch charges $120-$140 per person for their tours. You're on the water for 3-5 hours. They guarantee sightings meaning, if you don't see whales that trip, you go again for free until you do. The chances are 90% from April-October as the whales are a residential pod of orcas who rarely leave the area.

Whistler snowboarding? Go for January-March. Fly to Vancouver, then take a shuttle bus (2 hours) north to Whistler. In the summer, fly to Vancouver, hire a car, drive along the Sea to Sky Highway to stop off at Shannon Falls, Sea to Sky Gondola, and Brandywine Falls, before arriving at Whistler. Accommodation is affordable in Whistler in the summer. It's a bit more expensive in the winter months.
Some of these prices for flights may seem expensive but when you calculate the lost pay for extra days off and gas/petrol its actually cheap. Ive been here 9 years and a trucker and i can drive longer days than most and when i figured out lost pay + gas + motels to drive across canada in my car it was way cheaper to hop on westjet at 5pm friday and fly to where ever i was going in canada. Plus driving through Northern Ontario going to or from Toronto is Moose country and you don't want to be driving at night and hit one of those ! If you have to drive at night then tuck in behind a big truck, worst case scenario for a moose strike in a car is a body bag, either way your car is a right off ! Big trucks driven by guys i know have hit them, the truck was a right off and the bloody moose got up and ran off into the bush, whether it died later is anyones guess but what i'm trying to get across is the risks of driving in certain areas of canada because of wild life which includes the rockies. Short drives are OK but long ones, which includes Vancouver, from Edmonton will likely take you longer than you think.