LOTO MAX

Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default LOTO MAX

Tonights prize is $50m.

The office here have decided to create a syndicate.

Is there a requirement in Canada to have a syndicate contract drawn up for tax and legal reasons anyone is aware of? Cant find anything on the website.

I suggested we should as I would have thought if someone held the ticket they could do a runner, we would have to prove the syndicate & also if one person held the ticket then gave me $10m in prize money surely I would be taxed on it... or not?

All the other office staff said No there is no need in Canada for any of that it's all tax free... They're the locals so they should know best... Yeh??

Any ideas or similar experience anyone has to how it works here in Canada regarding these issues?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOTO MAX

Lotto winning are tax free. How that affects the rest of it I have no idea.

No written anything where I work...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Lotto winning are tax free. How that affects the rest of it I have no idea.

No written anything where I work...
Thanks for that.

Yeh same as UK tax free.. until you hand out the winnings without a contract...

Dont think we have much to worry about anyway...

Cheers
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Thanks for that.

Yeh same as UK tax free.. until you hand out the winnings without a contract...

Dont think we have much to worry about anyway...

Cheers
Any gifted amount of money you receive here is also tax free AFAIK as its not income....
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:54 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is no tax or legal reason why you MUST have a syndicate contract. Lotto winnings are not taxable.

However, it makes a great deal of sense to have a simple agreement that says you are creating a syndicate that all signatories will contribute to equally and any winnings are shared equally.

A couple of extra clauses I think are useful:

- a time by which syndicate member must pay up to be considered as "in" a particular draw. Otherwise some people will never pay but will, of course, claim to be in any winning draw.

- a stipulation that the person buying tickets on behalf of the syndicate cannot buy any tickets for themselves or friends and family unless they have handed over the syndicate's tickets. This avoids the situation where the syndicate buys 100 tickets - the person buying purchases 101 - and claim that if any of the 101 tickets wins this is their "personal" ticket.

I have no idea if these would hold up in court, but at least they set out some rules.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:10 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is no tax or legal reason why you MUST have a syndicate contract. Lotto winnings are not taxable.

However, it makes a great deal of sense to have a simple agreement that says you are creating a syndicate that all signatories will contribute to equally and any winnings are shared equally.

A couple of extra clauses I think are useful:

- a time by which syndicate member must pay up to be considered as "in" a particular draw. Otherwise some people will never pay but will, of course, claim to be in any winning draw.

- a stipulation that the person buying tickets on behalf of the syndicate cannot buy any tickets for themselves or friends and family unless they have handed over the syndicate's tickets. This avoids the situation where the syndicate buys 100 tickets - the person buying purchases 101 - and claim that if any of the 101 tickets wins this is their "personal" ticket.

I have no idea if these would hold up in court, but at least they set out some rules.
When there is one at work (it's only when somebody can be arsed to enter because of a big pay-out) it's cash up front and the ticket numbers are mailed to everyone pre-draw. Seems fair to me.

Generally, I think lotteries are a tax on the poor and stupid, but I do the office one when it's there as an insurance policy. I really don't want to turn up and see their smug faces but if somebody came round and asked me to sign some kind of legal contract first I think I'd tell them to piss off.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Here are two forms available in Atlantic Canada for group play. I would think it wise to have some agreement in place.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ALC_GroupWinAgreement (1).pdf (14.6 KB, 1048 views)
File Type: pdf
GroupPlayList.pdf (336.4 KB, 144 views)
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Generally, I think lotteries are a tax on the poor and stupid, but I do the office one when it's there as an insurance policy. I really don't want to turn up and see their smug faces but if somebody came round and asked me to sign some kind of legal contract first I think I'd tell them to piss off.
Me too.

I buy a 649 ticket when the prize exceeds $28M. The expected payout per ticket is then greater than $2 so it is a rational purchase. I've not won a cent.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

Lotteries in Canada - are they separate for each region ?

eligibility - can a holidaymaker buy a ticket and win or do
you have to be a PR ?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2008orbust

eligibility - can a holidaymaker buy a ticket and win or do
you have to be a PR ?
They'll take anybodies money I believe.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

Dave
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:39 am
Binned by Muderators

Some are national, like the 649. Some provincial, like the BC 49.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:57 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

A bit of both, but the super lotteries tend to cover multiple provinces and throw up the mega jackpots.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:02 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, save your $5 and buy something else. Lotto Max has horrible odds..
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:03 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Trust me, save your $5 and buy something else. Lotto Max has horrible odds..
^^^ What he said. It was the last project I worked on before getting my coat and I would have to agree ( even in comparison with other 'hopeful' lotteries ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.