Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for work as a Construction Foreman preferably in British Columbia

Wikiposts

Looking for work as a Construction Foreman preferably in British Columbia

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Rog Junior is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work as a Construction Foreman preferably in British Columbia

I am looking for work as a Construction Foreman / Superintendent in preferably British Columbia. Can anybody advise me if I am being realistic about gaining work in BC as it seems like I may have to go further afield? I am desperately trying to get contacts but am not having much luck!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for work as a Construction Foreman preferably in British Columbia

Originally Posted by Rog Junior
I am looking for work as a Construction Foreman / Superintendent in preferably British Columbia. Can anybody advise me if I am being realistic about gaining work in BC as it seems like I may have to go further afield? I am desperately trying to get contacts but am not having much luck!
Youd be better off in Alberta for construction work - more work here and better pay,less tax and more affordable to live than BC.
I know big companies like PCL are hiring from overseas, especially trades,foremen etc
Also get in touch with employment agencies such as Hays etc
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work as a Construction Foreman preferably in British Columbia

Rog Junior

I've been reading about this forum and the other one about you looking for work as a superintendent, so I thought I would give you a shout.

I'm doing the same thing with regards to Canada and BC, I'm a site manager working for a large London main contractor. If you want I could pm you and let you know what I've found out so far , could be of some interest to you mate.

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Junior
I am desperately trying to get contacts but am not having much luck!
How are you doing this, have you been to meet people in person?

And what's your visa status? There's obviously a big difference in the employability of somebody who has PR and can start immediately, versus somebody that the employer has to go to the expense/hassle of a LMO app and wait months for.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

couple of points

look at PCL's website 48 jobs in Edmonton 1.1m pop, 6 jobs in Vancouver 2.3m pop and Saskatoon 18 pop 250K

my company has 7 jobs in Van, 24 available in Ed and 10 in Saskatoon. There is just far more chance of getting a job in AB or SK than BC.

Graham are actively recruiting from overseas for Calgary SK and ED

this folds in with my next point if you are coming over on an LMO for a temporary work permit the LMO is proof that there is no Canadian for the job and the employer can hire a foreign worker for the position. you could be the best candidate for the job but if a Canadian meets the requirements it goes to them. then there is all the hassle, time and expense mentioned in the previous post. much greater chance of an employer getting an LMO for you in ED than in Van on all fronts.

Lots of Canadians from SK or AB would love to move to Kelowna so you will be at the back of the que not to say it is not possible as i'm sure there are many on BE that did just that its just more difficult.

I am also very interested in how people have got on with this "get out here and meet the employers approach". if some random turned up at our front desk holding his resume in his hand with no appointment, we would tell him to kindly go to the website and submit his resume.

i think the problem is a lot of people have submitted there applications/resume online and have got no response. I know my company is a faceless corporation where you are just submitting you information to a faceless HR person unless you know someone who works for us then the first round interview is a casual lunch with you the person you know and one of the high ups if you pass that then you submit formally to the faceless HR.

i can see a trip being worthwhile if you have 3 or 4 companies interested or even 1 if they have done a phone interview first and the second interview is just to check you are not ginger or anything like that good job i only had a phone interview nothing they can do about it now.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johntheScot
Lots of Canadians from SK or AB would love to move to Kelowna so you will be at the back of the que not to say it is not possible as i'm sure there are many on BE that did just that its just more difficult.
My employer suggests that it is virtually impossible to get staff for Kelowna.

In our office of approx 20 staff, all 3 Senior PMs are English and 1 of 3 estimators is English. All arrived in last 2 and a half years.

Saying that, the bulk of the forthcoming workload over then next few years in BC will be in Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island. $3BN+ in civils-based work.

There is very little going on around Kelowna right now and we have opened an office in Langley to address the forthcoming demand.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am also very interested in how people have got on with this "get out here and meet the employers approach". if some random turned up at our front desk holding his resume in his hand with no appointment, we would tell him to kindly go to the website and submit his resume.
Nobody is suggesting that he just turns up unannounced. The job hunting section of the Wiki has some great advice, including how vital personal contact is for most people to get work in Canada. For most, submitting resumes on a website will lead to nothing and they need to pick up the phone at the very least.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

I was not suggesting that you said he should turn up unannounced, but a popular response on this site is you need to get over here meet people, network make those personal contacts.

i do not disagree with but was looking for more information on how people have executed this task. most people on this forum who have done this have done it to great effect as they are now in Canada with a job.

those that are still in the UK as they have no job offer have not done very well at it and may benefit from some advise.

i can offer no advise in this as when my company needs staff they advertise on the company web site resumes make their way from HR to the hiring manager who wanted the staff they then select for interview, this is how i was hired job offer verbally within 1 week of applying paperwork through in 10 days.

Employee referrals are also a big part of our hiring and is actively rewarded and a good amount of weight put behind the recommendation more than with a uk company i would have said.

i would say at least 50% of new staff are apps to jobs on the website, the rest are uni/tech recruitment and referrals with a very very small amount being agency.

avoid agencies if you can they post fake jobs promise the earth and are only after commission, an employer who is 50/50 about hiring you may be put off by having to pay $$$$ to an agency. now im going to get into it with someone who has had a wonderful experience with an agency dont suppose there is any harm in speaking to them but i know we wont take anyone from them unless they are head hunting for a key role.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was not suggesting that you said he should turn up unannounced, but a popular response on this site is you need to get over here meet people, network make those personal contacts.

i do not disagree with but was looking for more information on how people have executed this task.
Have a look at the Job Hunting section in the Wiki, as that's where newbies will get info on how to do this. There's a good article about reccie trips and how to set up informal chats before coming over plus loads of other info.

HTH.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:38 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Like anywhere it is easier to get a job when you are actually there in person...before i came to Canada i had no real joy getting a response from anybody because i was still in the UK..Once i arrived i literally had companies fall over themselves offering me a job (well almost) and secured a position at the same level as i was in back home within 3 weeks.

I am now having the same issue going back the other way... no companies in the UK are interested because im still in Canada..so i will have to do the same but in reverse.