Reload this Page >

Looking for work

Looking for work

Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

kratosmr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work

Hello all,

I am currently looking for work in Ottawa to be with my girlfriend there. I live in the Uk and am in the IT industry but will do any kind of work. I am looking into going over on my Passport for several months to find work whilst I am there. I am curious if anyone has had any success with this and if anyone has any tips that they could pass on?

Regards

Matt
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work

The job hunting section of the Wiki is full of tips from forum members, if you haven't read it already.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kratosmr
Hello all,

I am currently looking for work in Ottawa to be with my girlfriend there. I live in the Uk and am in the IT industry but will do any kind of work. I am looking into going over on my Passport for several months to find work whilst I am there. I am curious if anyone has had any success with this and if anyone has any tips that they could pass on?

Regards

Matt
I think it might look strange to Canadian Immigration if you intend to be there for several months to look for a job - they may suspect that you intend to work without a visa. A few weeks of continuous job hunting ought to be enough to secure something and get an LMO processing (though it will take 1-2 months to process).

Alternatively, if you're the correct age, there is the IEC programme which provides you with an open work permit for a year.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Hello CanadaJimmy,

I am over the age limit for a working holiday unfortunately. I believe I can apply for any job to try and get an LMO right? You say a few weeks of continuous searching? Could you elaborate? Have you had success yourself?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

So would it cause me issues going to Canada on my passport to find work? I can stay for 6 months I believe and just think it could be easier to actually go and see companies?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I am over the age limit for a working holiday unfortunately. I believe I can apply for any job to try and get an LMO right? You say a few weeks of continuous searching? Could you elaborate? Have you had success yourself?
I have spoken to people who came here for 2 weeks, were able to establish some connections and speak to employers directly and able to convince them to hire them and do the paperwork and give them a chance. It helps if you have good experience and/or qualifications though.

My story is a little unusual, I was able to establish dialog on skype before I came here.

You can apply for any job on an LMO, but only a skilled job (type A & B) is valid for a PR application later (under the federal programme, some provinces sponsor unskilled also, but not Ontario).

So would it cause me issues going to Canada on my passport to find work? I can stay for 6 months I believe and just think it could be easier to actually go and see companies?
Well if you use that expression "to find work" rather than "to find an employer who will apply for a work permit so I can work here" (or similar) it will set alarm bells ringing in the ears of the immigration officer since it sounds like you want to come and work illegally. The maximum stay is 6 months, you must have a return ticket, and for that length of stay you will also likely have to present that you have proof of funds to support yourself in that time. Even with this you may not be granted the full 6 months stay, it's up to the discretion of the officer.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
You can apply for any job on an LMO, but only a skilled job (type A & B) is valid for a PR application later
Skilled is Level A, B & O. Don't forget the O!
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I wouldnt use the looking for work tag line. And PR isnt my goal for now as I would be loving my girlfriend so will be aiming for sponsorship via common law after a year. Or marriage if we feel ready for that.