Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for some temp foreign workers advise

Looking for some temp foreign workers advise

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:41 am
Just Joined

ayrshire3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for some temp foreign workers advise

Where do I start. Well here goes any-ho.
My husband, son and I came out to Calgary last summer to find find employment. Look at schools, houses, & areas etc.
Yippee. Hubby got a job.
Did all the paperwork. Permits arrived from CHC. For a years permit. Arrived in Calgary 7th Jan'07.

All was well for the first week. We are renting and had no furniture, beds. So ran round got the basics. Our 13yr old started school. Medical cards etc. Got most of it done.
Hubby started work the following week. He was told to get a bag packed on his first day as he was heading up to Edmonton. There he has been ever since working. Coming home on his days off. Which is 10 days on with 4 off.
As for the company, they have been in business for years based in the NE. Tend to take on contractors more than have permanent staff as the work is specialized.
My husband got word (not from his employers). Telling him that the company seem to be in a bad way, money wise.

This seems to be the case now. As the company rent 3 apartments in Edmonton. Two of the contractors have had door handle notices put on there doors. Stating to pay there rent within 7 days. My hubby went and filled petrol in his works van. The company card was declined. In the last month instead of direct depoist he has been paid by cheque. And for easter he was sent home as there was no work. So no work. Equals no pay.

He does have another job offer of the same line of work, based in Calgary for more money. But he can not do anything about it. I have called immigration. Explained our circumstantces. There reply. That is UNFORTUATE. You will have to go through the process again if you would be taking on the new positon.
I just feel there is nothing to protect us permit holders from this situation. If the worst comes. I work, and could. Albeit struggle to manage.
We are AOR Mar 2005. Updates sent last month. Hopefully will hear very soon of medical requests.

Trying to keep upbeat, though finding it hard. Sorry all needed a moan tonight.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for some temp foreign workers advise

Originally Posted by ayrshire3
My husband, son and I came out to Calgary last summer to find find employment. Look at schools, houses, & areas etc.
Yippee. Hubby got a job.
Did all the paperwork. Permits arrived from CHC. For a years permit. Arrived in Calgary 7th Jan'07.

All was well for the first week. We are renting and had no furniture, beds. So ran round got the basics. Our 13yr old started school. Medical cards etc. Got most of it done.
Hubby started work the following week. He was told to get a bag packed on his first day as he was heading up to Edmonton. There he has been ever since working. Coming home on his days off. Which is 10 days on with 4 off.
As for the company, they have been in business for years based in the NE. Tend to take on contractors more than have permanent staff as the work is specialized.
My husband got word (not from his employers). Telling him that the company seem to be in a bad way, money wise.

This seems to be the case now. As the company rent 3 apartments in Edmonton. Two of the contractors have had door handle notices put on there doors. Stating to pay there rent within 7 days. My hubby went and filled petrol in his works van. The company card was declined. In the last month instead of direct depoist he has been paid by cheque. And for easter he was sent home as there was no work. So no work. Equals no pay.

He does have another job offer of the same line of work, based in Calgary for more money. But he can not do anything about it. I have called immigration. Explained our circumstantces. There reply. That is UNFORTUATE. You will have to go through the process again if you would be taking on the new positon.
I just feel there is nothing to protect us permit holders from this situation. If the worst comes. I work, and could. Albeit struggle to manage.
We are AOR Mar 2005. Updates sent last month. Hopefully will hear very soon of medical requests.

A difficult situation, have you tried looking for new employers, there are many out there who may be alble to offer lmo etc

rgds scotty
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1972
A difficult situation, have you tried looking for new employers, there are many out there who may be alble to offer lmo etc

rgds scotty

but scotty this means that they will have to go throught the whole LMO procedure again before they can get another WP which entitles the hubby to work or new Employer.

I know it is of no concellation but this is the risk that you take when you go out there on a WP.

When you went out there did you yourself not apply for Spousal Open WP on the back of huby's WP ?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

What an awful situation.

I would go throught the LMO process again. Then get WP instantly at an airport/or can you get it quicker from within Canada?

In my expereince these things can drag on and on and you start not getting paid for the work you do etc

Gryphea
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
What an awful situation.

I would go throught the LMO process again. Then get WP instantly at an airport/or can you get it quicker from within Canada?

In my expereince these things can drag on and on and you start not getting paid for the work you do etc

Gryphea

Yeah Gryphea

Think as soon as another positive LMO received they could just drive south to Coutts on the US border and gain WP there.

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

you can get a (change in circumstances WP) different form ? you may have to go through LMO, thats whats putting me off going on WP
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:03 am
Just Joined

ayrshire3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add guys. Hubbys job has already been pre-approved for the LMO. This is an american company here in Calgary.
This is what I have been thinking.
Can my husband take the LMO and the job offer letter down to the border. Inform the canadian side he is only going over to get the WP. Come back over and get a new WP in his passport.
Can this be done?

Thanks in advance folks.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:10 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add guys. Hubbys job has already been pre-approved for the LMO. This is an american company here in Calgary.
Can my husband take the LMO and the job offer letter down to the border. Inform the canadian side he is only going over to get the WP. Come back over and get a new WP in his passport.
Can this be done?

Thanks in advance folks.

Precarious situation to say the least and I doubt that the WP can be "reinvented" as it were, by a flagpole trip. Wait for the next wage cheque to actually clear the bank before you do anything rash.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance folks.
I don't know. Phone up and ask them. But I would think if he is a british citizen that he can- I don't see why its any different to getting one on entry like loads of people have done. You may need a new permit as well, as may the kids as all yours are tied to the original

Gryphea
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:56 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this twice now. It takes about 20 mins on the Canadian side...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldnt be too hard to get an LMO for a similar job in a similar area. A few people here have been through that, and its generally a bit quicker for a transfer type situation.

The main hurdle is the waiting times in AB are fairly long due to demand.

If you already have the LMO and contract for the new job, then the flagpole trip to get the new permit *should* be a formality, and if there is any problem he still has the old one in his passport which is still valid for reentry up until it expires, even if the job doesnt exist anymore.

If I were you I would be packing that parachute ASAP and hoping the LMO and work permit can be arranged before things go really bad.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 24th 2007 at 7:06 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

natlit is a jewel in the roughnatlit is a jewel in the roughnatlit is a jewel in the roughnatlit is a jewel in the rough

Yippee. Hubby got a job.

This link might help

http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=38232
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:29 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natlit
Very useful info. I expanded the relevant paragraph in the Canadian Immigration Overview article in the BE Wiki to include this clarification.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:45 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent link! I've never been able to get a straight answer on what would happen, and this spells it out very clearly.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Really informative link- thanks

Gryphea