Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for some help on Calgary

Looking for some help on Calgary

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

ACHMOVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for some help on Calgary

I am new to this..so please be kind! My family and I are looking at moving to Canada in 2016, with job prospects in engineering management. We have planned to come over September this year to gain some ideas on locations to live and general information on the areas.
We are flying into Calgary with ideas of living here/Richmond as that is where we have based a lot of our research due to Job availability and it appears this is a good starting point to base our trip.
I have a 5 year old so education, environment is important to us.
You may have seen this a zillion times, but anything you can suggest we see/do/visit while we are over there? We have 12 days and we want to pack as much in. As a lot of you have already done this any useful tips are most welcome. Please do not post on here if you have only negative comments. Thank you

Last edited by ACHMOVE; Jan 22nd 2014 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for some help on Calgary

Originally Posted by ACHMOVE
I am new to this..so please be kind! My family and I are looking at moving to Canada in 2016, with job prospects in engineering management. We have planned to come over September this year to gain some ideas on locations to live and general information on the areas.
We are flying into Calgary with ideas of living here/Richmond as that is where we have based a lot of our research due to Job availability and it appears this is a good starting point to base our trip.
You may have seen this a zillion times, but anything you can suggest we see/do/visit while we are over there? We have 12 days and we want to pack as much in. As a lot of you have already done this any useful tips are most welcome. Please do not post on here if you have only negative comments. Thank you
Have a look around and look at what you want to have a look at. Try travelling in all parts at various time of the day. Try a trip on the trains and buses, again, at various times of the day. Try grocery shopping to see what is available and the cost.

Try and meet up with someone that will be able to understand what you are going through and will be able to provide you with pointers.

With 12 days spent in Calgary/Richmond (I assume this is the B.C. version) you will not really get much of a feel for either of them as residents. I would imagine that travelling by road between the two will take at least 2 days, unless you don't particularly wish to take in any of the sites along the way.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lake Louise and Banff, obviously.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

We moved to Calgary in May last year and are loving it, even with the crazy amount of snow we got in December. We found schooling to me a major issue, places are really limited (we have a 4 & 6 year old). We ended up looking at schools we wanted and finding a place close(ish) in the NW. So many variables on what people want to get out of a location, but feel free to PM me with any specific questions. September last year had awesome weather so hopefully you get the same this time around.

We got loads of helpful replies on here during our planning stage so welcome to BE!

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:11 am
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Engineering management most likely would mean working downtown, IMO I would look at the Calgary LRT map and base your neighborhood around the commute to the LRT station, if anything its a starting point.

Places I know about are Cochrane (1 hour commute of driving and train) and Crowfoot area. I would prefer to stay on the west side of the city for the proximity to the Rockies (can cut the journey time by up to 20/30 minutes).

Does your Husband work in O&G?