British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/looking-rent-got-big-dog-think-again-548174/)

frankieforehead Jul 10th 2008 5:14 pm

Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Hi All,
I was just looking in our local paper, and there is an article about a family from the UK, who are having extreme difficulties finding a property to rent, that will accept their large dog.

http://www.cochranetimes.com/News/410281.html

Having looked at the rental market there are very few places that will accept pets, so if you are coming across, It may be prudent to secure a place before you get here.

dbd33 Jul 10th 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557313)
Hi All,
I was just looking in our local paper, and there is an article about a family from the UK, who are having extreme difficulties finding a property to rent, that will accept their large dog.

http://www.cochranetimes.com/News/410281.html

Having looked at the rental market there are very few places that will accept pets, so if you are coming across, It may be prudent to secure a place before you get here.

Reading the article I thought them mildly stupid, it's hard to rent anywhere with a large dog, until this exploitative nonsense.

'“He’s helped my youngest son who is autistic. Really, it’s his dog; it’s like his best friend. He often talks through the dog, which a lot of autistic children do,” Lynch said.'

Bollocks. How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?

Biiiiink Jul 10th 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6557338)
How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?

TWP?

dbd33 Jul 10th 2008 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6557360)
TWP?

If so, one would think their application for residency will fail on medical grounds, hardly worth finding a kennel really.

ann m Jul 10th 2008 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557313)

I think in these circumstances, it might have been prudent for the husband (who has been here since September) to have found a property before the family spent thousands on the flights for themselves and the pooch? It is tough with pets, but it's not a surprise, surely? :(

frankieforehead Jul 10th 2008 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 6557424)
I think in these circumstances, it might have been prudent for the husband (who has been here since September) to have found a property before the family spent thousands on the flights for themselves and the pooch? It is tough with pets, but it's not a surprise, surely? :(

Sadly...He's not alone, alot of people arrive without anywhere to live, Hoping to bunk up in a hotel for a few nights, then look for somewhere. Often the places they find are not suitable or indeed they are not suitable tennants for the landlord.

I know that I would certainly not rent to just anyone....and who knows this guy may have been trying to locate somewhere for himself and his pooch...but then again time fly's when you're having fun.

On a side note Anne, try covering up the small plants in the winter.

ann m Jul 10th 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557472)
On a side note Anne, try covering up the small plants in the winter.

thank you ;) extra mulch this year, methinks

Silverdragon102 Jul 10th 2008 7:41 pm

we struggled so decided to take the risk and buy a house, worked out a lot better this way but we had 3 dogs

mandymoochops Jul 10th 2008 9:58 pm

mmmm have to say I read this and thought the same about the dad too. If you've been here since September WTF were you doing between then and when the rest of the family came over, complete with dog!!!!!

I think the key phrase here should be - research, research, research. (oh and don't book the flights for the rest of the family if you have a 3 ton dog and nowhere to put him)

And if the dog is so important to the child - how much time are the family spending at the kennels, must be every night and all night, yea right.

It seems as though this is a last ditch attempt for someone to read the paper and feel sorry for them.

pinkmcfarquhar Jul 11th 2008 12:17 am

It is difficult to find rentals when you have pets, but with a bit of research it can be done - we even had a choice of properties, and we have two largish dogs. Just have to do your work in advance and not turn up with your fingers crossed!

geedee Jul 11th 2008 3:23 am

One way around it is to offer a reasonable deposit and agree to a "professional cleaner fee" at the end of the contract.

Alberta_Rose Jul 11th 2008 3:26 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6558402)
mmmm have to say I read this and thought the same about the dad too. If you've been here since September WTF were you doing between then and when the rest of the family came over, complete with dog!!!!!

I think the key phrase here should be - research, research, research. (oh and don't book the flights for the rest of the family if you have a 3 ton dog and nowhere to put him)

And if the dog is so important to the child - how much time are the family spending at the kennels, must be every night and all night, yea right.

It seems as though this is a last ditch attempt for someone to read the paper and feel sorry for them.

Quite.

Steve_P Jul 11th 2008 4:17 am

In addition to what has been already commented about above.

Am I reading this correctly in that they are limiting their search to Cochrane?:confused:

Biiiiink Jul 11th 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6559144)
In addition to what has been already commented about above.

Am I reading this correctly in that they are limiting their search to Cochrane?:confused:

And that's like Universal Studios I now know :eek:

I'd say how silly I thought they were on a few counts but they might be members here so I won't. There, I didn't.

DebbieK Jul 11th 2008 1:40 pm

We have a Yellow Labrador and a Chocolate Newfie, not that the colour makes any difference. We too hope to rent, and have wondered how much of an issue that is going to be for us, but hey, we will be checking that out as soon as we have the job offer (we hope!) and have already considered the potential need to offer a deposit to cover any damage that the owner thinks they may cause. They have never done any here, but we understand why owners might be nervous, but we also have insurance on both dogs that would cover that eventuality, would that not also help to reassure? :confused:

lilpuddin Jul 11th 2008 1:42 pm

My mum in law is going to give my cat a home as we just cant afford the money to ship him over there...at least we know he is going to be well looked after, still makes me sad to leave him behind though :(

DebbieK Jul 11th 2008 1:45 pm

We are not taking our cat, it would be too cruel, we live in a village of 38 houses here and the cat is very much a free spirit, to shove her on a plane for all that time and then have to restrict her - I gather the more rural areas are not good for cats seems madness. As it is the dogs are going to cost us a mint to get over there - but we took them on for life, so hey, that is our problem.

frankieforehead Jul 11th 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by lilpuddin (Post 6560422)
My mum in law is going to give my cat a home as we just cant afford the money to ship him over there.

At least you've decided to arrive without your pet...however it does concern me that the cost of shipping is the case, as I think that this may be the least of your expenses when you arrive here.

If you're planning to stay for the rest of your life in Canada, I'm sure that you'll find a shipping company that may bring your cat over here for a lot less than you might think it will cost.....check out some previous threads on bringing pets across.

lilpuddin Jul 11th 2008 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6560644)
At least you've decided to arrive without your pet...however it does concern me that the cost of shipping is the case, as I think that this may be the least of your expenses when you arrive here.

If you're planning to stay for the rest of your life in Canada, I'm sure that you'll find a shipping company that may bring your cat over here for a lot less than you might think it will cost.....check out some previous threads on bringing pets across.

We did think about having him brought over once we are there and settled, but he is getting old now and im not sure if it is best for him, he loves my mum in law, she feeds him tuna when im not looking :rofl:

snowhugs Jul 11th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6560334)
And that's like Universal Studios I now know :eek:

;) Ha ha! How true.

Maybe it's "guide dogs only" in Cochrane.

frankieforehead Jul 11th 2008 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by snowhugs (Post 6561249)
;) Ha ha! How true.

Maybe it's "guide dogs only" in Cochrane.

...And the mentally challenged...you should fit in :)

bex1 Jul 11th 2008 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6557338)
Reading the article I thought them mildly stupid, it's hard to rent anywhere with a large dog, until this exploitative nonsense.

'“He’s helped my youngest son who is autistic. Really, it’s his dog; it’s like his best friend. He often talks through the dog, which a lot of autistic children do,” Lynch said.'

Bollocks. How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6561396)
...And the mentally challenged...you should fit in :)

I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care, you are so uneducated.

Perhaps you should take a look at a site regarding autism and educate yourselves www.nas.org.uk because your behaviour is nothing short of discriminative.

By the way, and before you decide to try and get a reaction from me with some sarcastic quip which comes so readily from several of you, I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals, so what's it to you? I just hope I don't end up living next door to any of you lot :frown:

Steve_P Jul 11th 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by bex1 (Post 6562297)
I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care, you are so uneducated.

Perhaps you should take a look at a site regarding autism and educate yourselves www.nas.org.uk because your behaviour is nothing short of discriminative.

By the way, and before you decide to try and get a reaction from me with some sarcastic quip which comes so readily from several of you, I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals, so what's it to you? I just hope I don't end up living next door to any of you lot :frown:

Before you get up any higher on your high horse perhaps you need to know that DBD33 has an autistic daughter.

I don't believe anyone was taking the piss as you put it over the autistic child but the lack of foresight on the part of the parents who appear to be perfectly "normal".

Troublesome Jul 11th 2008 11:27 pm

I hope so to! Not the son....the parents!

dbd33 Jul 11th 2008 11:42 pm

I have a son with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome - he is neither mentally challenged nor a drain on the medical system, in fact he doesn't receives nor require any medical attention whatsoever and probably has an IQ higher than all the small minded posters put together.

Either his is one of those cases of Asperger's as fashion - the sort of case where the affluent parents of a dim or badly behaved child need a label for him, or he's a drain. He can't have a disabling condition and not be a drain. Not that it's anyone's fault or he should somehow avoid being a drain, someone born with one leg is in a similar situation; nothing the person can do about it. If he's not in some form of special education then either his symptoms are so minor as to make the diagnosis questionable or the system is failing him.

Yes, there's a spectrum but it runs from minor disability to vegetable.

It is a fact that many autistic children really make progress through animals

Can you cite a single case in support of this? Any double blind study?

I think not, I think some autistic children like to ride horses, I see that all the time. I think some mistake large dogs for horses and try to ride them, I see that now and then. But, "progress"? How defined? How proved? Communication via dog as claimed for the Cochrane family? Pull the other one.

ann m Jul 12th 2008 12:54 am

I can't believe you people, if Calgary is full of people like you then socially it's a worse place than the UK. Not one of you has shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for that autistic child, only taken the piss. Just because he's autistic it doesn't mean he's mentally challenged or needing any kind of long term expensive medical care

:eek:

I don't think anyone took the p*ss out of the child or his condition. The comments were aimed at the lack of planning or research by the parents. And yes, as dbd has already commented for himself, I really don't need to - but we 'allow' him to chip in with blunt comments because he is living this exact issue every day of his life. So if he he appears less than tactful, well - that's just the way it is ! And if you re-read the other post referring to the mentally challenged, I simply read that as a playful dig between frankieforehead and snowhugs and taking the p*ss out of Cochrane (so I'm deeply offended :p ).

And with the greatest respect to the parents, if the dog really was such a fundamental element of their child's life, then the lack of planning really badly shows. Sorry - but that's just the way most of us see it. :huh:

Helen Parnell Jul 12th 2008 1:57 am

I have just read the article and have to agree that research is the answer. I know in recent weeks there have been 2 rental accommodations that both take dogs (I rented them out to UK expats with dogs) but they arranged this in June for a August 1st Possession. YOu have to look at places whilst in the UK and make contacts there for when you get here. Do not come here and expect people to be waiting for you.

I also know that in the last month there has been an acerage for rent which would be great for a dog (it might still be available)

I also read the article in the Cochrane times, I am the property manager for the unit that they talk about which does not accept pets 'The homestead'. Even if they did except pets, this family would probably not qualify as there is a criteria that they follow for the tenants. Most of the tenants are the most needy in the town. The apartments are very small.

I also noted that the reason they are renting is that they are on a TWP. You can get a mortgage and buy a house on a TWP. If they contact me this week I could get them in to house by August 1st (but as today is Friday I am sure that one of the other realtors in town will have beaten me to it!!)

I think the major issue in this case is a total lack of research either from the UK or whilst living here.

Mrs Miggins Jul 12th 2008 2:02 am

All I will say is however ridiculously rattylike she may be, my dog will never present this type of problem.

Chihuauas are the way forwards. I sh"t you not;)

A smug and cheek tongued,
Mrs Miggins. x

dbd33 Jul 12th 2008 3:13 am

For anyone interested in autism, here's a radio program one of my children (the one now in Honduras) made about the autistic one. It's outrageously self serving but gives a clue:

http://www.cbc.ca/outfront/listen/2008/08-05-21.html

jasonlisa Jul 12th 2008 6:37 am

I have read this thread with interest. Not only do we have a young labrador, but I also work with special need children (Aspergers and Autism included).

Firstly, our dog is only 9 months old, and due to her tendency to think everything around the house is hers, she is crated when we're not in. I was dubious at first, dogs aren't meant to be kept in cages afterall, however she often goes in it when she needs to get away from noise or needs some time to herself. She won't need to be in it forever, just until she's grown out of the destructive, eat-whatever-she-can stage.

My suggestion to the family concerned would be that were they to consider doing the same with their dog, the landlord MAY be prepared to consider short term rental.

Secondly, I have not heard about Autistic children speaking through animals (although to be fair my experience is limited to High Functioning Autism, and the child concerned does quite enough talking of her own!) but it is something that I will be trying to find out more about, just for my learning.

My only comment would be that given the difficulties these children in particular have with accepting change, I would think it prudent to over plan such a huge move- the kids I work with can struggle if there's a different teacher for one lesson, so moving to another country must require meticulously detailed planning.

There, I'm done now!

jasonlisa Jul 12th 2008 6:41 am

DBD33, I did try to listen to the radio programme but couldn't get it to play, thanks for putting it on here anyway, hopefully some other people who lack understanding of Autism will benefit

Lisa

Tanah Jul 12th 2008 8:24 am

Why is it that we as humans are always so quick to jump in and slag off???

So the people didnt do their research properly - renting in the Uk is not a huge issue with pets, maybe they didnt think it would be a problem at all. Yes they should have done their research better, yes they should have planned a move better, especially with an Autistic child. My best friends son is autistic, he is 16 yrs old and speaks / does very little. Could it be possible that most of their research was done around their son? ie/ what schools were available, support networks etc etc - maybe the accommodation thing was the last thought - not thinking it would be an issue?????

Yes it was very blind of them not to check into this before leaving - BUT to be honest they have my sympathy. If they have used the local press to try and get themselves a rental property then whats wrong with that?? if it works GREAT for them and their dog that would be wonderful.

WE all make mistakes in life, we all do things sometimes without thinking and inevitably we all ***** up big time at one point or another. I would hate to be surrounded by some of you in one of those times in my life - as obviously most of you are perfect!!!

Personally I wish the family loads of luck and I hope they manage to find themselves a property soon

jasonlisa Jul 12th 2008 9:16 am

Hi tanah, I'm sorry if you read my thanks to DBD33 as an attempt to "slag off anybody. It was not meant like that at all- all I meant was that if he has experience, which given his circumstances is obviously much greater than mine, then I welcome him sharing it in order to educate people- anyone, not just on this site- into what can be a very upsetting and dibilitating condition. You are fortunate in that you have experience, through your friend, of someone living with this day to day- many others do not. I was not saying anything horrible about anyone, so my apologies if this is how it came across.

You will also see from my other note that I was in fact offering advice to the family on a way that they may possibly increase their chances of renting with a dog. I did not intend to judge them or their decisions- there by the grace of God go I.

Perhaps this is a good example of how communication by email can be damaging and is not always the right way to have debates!

lisa

Tanah Jul 12th 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jasonlisa (Post 6563186)
Hi tanah, I'm sorry if you read my thanks to DBD33 as an attempt to "slag off anybody. It was not meant like that at all- all I meant was that if he has experience, which given his circumstances is obviously much greater than mine, then I welcome him sharing it in order to educate people- anyone, not just on this site- into what can be a very upsetting and dibilitating condition. You are fortunate in that you have experience, through your friend, of someone living with this day to day- many others do not. I was not saying anything horrible about anyone, so my apologies if this is how it came across.

You will also see from my other note that I was in fact offering advice to the family on a way that they may possibly increase their chances of renting with a dog. I did not intend to judge them or their decisions- there by the grace of God go I.

Perhaps this is a good example of how communication by email can be damaging and is not always the right way to have debates!

lisa

My post wasnt directed at you Lisa - I just used reply to message quick reply- and yours was the last entry - so it linked to your post. Though it does link in with your comments about other peoples lack of understanding.

wasnt meant as a 'dig' at you at all - sorry if it came accross that way - I have edited it to remove the link

trishandbubs Jul 12th 2008 11:18 am

I dont think any one on here was taking the mick out of the child with autism, just a lack of forthought by the parents.

I work with both adults and children with autism and although im not an expert I have seen a great over view of how it effects each person differently. Most people with autism also have other issues as well and mainly these are medical problems which cost alot of money to treat, the most common being bowel problems, incontinence, epilepsy, diabetes to name a few. I have met quite a few people with autism who are scared of dogs and cats and so wouldnt go near them, others dont care if they are there or not, very rarely have I come across a child who actually likes a dog (ive worked with roughly about 50 children and only 1 actually liked dogs and he didnt have severe autism).

The child probably is communicating through the dog but all that means is that although he is talking at the dog its just a way of talking to his parents iykwim. I have seen children use any object to communicate with others from a teddy to books or a table as in the majority they cannot make eye contact with people and hate having people making eye contact with them. Personally I have always been told to discourage this as it is feeding into their behaviours and can make communication more difficult for them but each to their own i guess.

This is just from my experience so please dont jump on me saying yours is different but I do think its important to get an overview of the spectrum. People with autism are just like everyone else they vary in what they need etc so should be treated like an individual.

The4BellsLondon Jul 12th 2008 6:25 pm

[QUOTE=jasonlisa;6562973]I have read this thread with interest. Not only do we have a young labrador, but I also work with special need children (Aspergers and Autism included).

Firstly, our dog is only 9 months old, and due to her tendency to think everything around the house is hers, she is crated when we're not in. I was dubious at first, dogs aren't meant to be kept in cages afterall, however she often goes in it when she needs to get away from noise or needs some time to herself. She won't need to be in it forever, just until she's grown out of the destructive, eat-whatever-she-can stage.

welcome to labrador world - mine is 3 and will still eat lego, tinsel, soxks, pants, if he thinks he has been left too long is just being a toerag!!

sdfharkin Jul 12th 2008 6:47 pm

Hi All,
I posed this question some time ago and as yet couldn't get a reply.
We have an AOR of Feb 07 and it looks like it will be 2011 before we get into Canada.

We have a 6 year old son with High Functioning Autism and Twin 4 year old who are going for evaluation in the next few months.

As you can guess were putting a lot of time and effort into moving to Canada as you all have, and I have no issue with this. my only concern is that after a 4 year wait we will be turned down on the Ground that our Son/Sons have HFA.

We have hired a immigration lawyer in Toronto and after contact them and explained HFA they didn't have an answer. I'd like to know what is the Canadian government stance on HFA.

I have read through the Medical Questions which will be posed to us, and it does state that Autism is a disorder which could put a strain on the health service, but it doesn't mention where the line is drawn. in layman's terms I would define the severity of Autism from HFA up to Rain man ( I know this sound cruel but as a parent it is very difficult to explain to people who have never came in contact with a child on the spectrum the difficulties we face)

So the question that I would like answered is, has anyone been accepted under Skilled worker who has a child with HFA/Aspegers.

Regards

Sean

dbd33 Jul 12th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by sdfharkin (Post 6564592)
in layman's terms I would define the severity of Autism from HFA up to Rain man ( I know this sound cruel but as a parent it is very difficult to explain to people who have never came in contact with a child on the spectrum the difficulties we face

I'm not sure I follow, Rain main seemed to me to be far too competent to be considered autistic (I now know him to have been an autistic savant which is rather different) but HFA can't be the other extreme, what about Low Functioning Autism?

I can't answer your question but here's a cautionary anecdote. When we took our daughter for assessment at about one year old the doctor said

"this is autism, I'm not going to write it down because it's a death sentence, the government doesn't want to know about people with autism"

He expanded on that saying that even such support as treatment for routine ailments would be difficult to obtain for someone who is autistic anyway. He knew better than us.

Steve_P Jul 12th 2008 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6564652)
I'm not sure I follow, Rain main seemed to me to be far too competent to be considered autistic (I now know him to have been an autistic savant which is rather different) but HFA can't be the other extreme, what about Low Functioning Autism?

I can't answer your question but here's a cautionary anecdote. When we took our daughter for assessment at about one year old the doctor said

"this is autism, I'm not going to write it down because it's a death sentence, the government doesn't want to know about people with autism"

He expanded on that saying that even such support as treatment for routine ailments would be difficult to obtain for someone who is autistic anyway. He knew better than us.

Apparently Alberta is more amenable than other provinces to treating autism.

Here's a piece from 2006, I don't think anything has changed since then.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/...m-therapy.html

jasonlisa Jul 13th 2008 7:03 am

Tanah, no worries, I was feeling a bit over- sensitive yesterday anyway!

4BellsLondon- this does not reassure me that things will get better!!! As beautiful as my dog is, and that's pretty darn beautiful I might add, she is an absolute minx! She recently ate a LARGE ball bearing magnet, but we found it again 2 weeks later (!). She can now reach the back of the kitchen worktops, and frequently helps herself to anything which we have been foolish enough to leave there. Her main delicacy is pants, which she remodels to the crotchless variety, with a speed that defies belief. She's a non-stop food seeking missile:)