British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/looking-rent-got-big-dog-think-again-548174/)

frankieforehead Jul 10th 2008 5:14 pm

Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Hi All,
I was just looking in our local paper, and there is an article about a family from the UK, who are having extreme difficulties finding a property to rent, that will accept their large dog.

http://www.cochranetimes.com/News/410281.html

Having looked at the rental market there are very few places that will accept pets, so if you are coming across, It may be prudent to secure a place before you get here.

dbd33 Jul 10th 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Looking to rent...got a big dog...think again

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557313)
Hi All,
I was just looking in our local paper, and there is an article about a family from the UK, who are having extreme difficulties finding a property to rent, that will accept their large dog.

http://www.cochranetimes.com/News/410281.html

Having looked at the rental market there are very few places that will accept pets, so if you are coming across, It may be prudent to secure a place before you get here.

Reading the article I thought them mildly stupid, it's hard to rent anywhere with a large dog, until this exploitative nonsense.

'“He’s helped my youngest son who is autistic. Really, it’s his dog; it’s like his best friend. He often talks through the dog, which a lot of autistic children do,” Lynch said.'

Bollocks. How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?

Biiiiink Jul 10th 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 6557338)
How come these people got here despite requiring long term expensive medical care?

TWP?

dbd33 Jul 10th 2008 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6557360)
TWP?

If so, one would think their application for residency will fail on medical grounds, hardly worth finding a kennel really.

ann m Jul 10th 2008 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557313)

I think in these circumstances, it might have been prudent for the husband (who has been here since September) to have found a property before the family spent thousands on the flights for themselves and the pooch? It is tough with pets, but it's not a surprise, surely? :(

frankieforehead Jul 10th 2008 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 6557424)
I think in these circumstances, it might have been prudent for the husband (who has been here since September) to have found a property before the family spent thousands on the flights for themselves and the pooch? It is tough with pets, but it's not a surprise, surely? :(

Sadly...He's not alone, alot of people arrive without anywhere to live, Hoping to bunk up in a hotel for a few nights, then look for somewhere. Often the places they find are not suitable or indeed they are not suitable tennants for the landlord.

I know that I would certainly not rent to just anyone....and who knows this guy may have been trying to locate somewhere for himself and his pooch...but then again time fly's when you're having fun.

On a side note Anne, try covering up the small plants in the winter.

ann m Jul 10th 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by frankieforehead (Post 6557472)
On a side note Anne, try covering up the small plants in the winter.

thank you ;) extra mulch this year, methinks

Silverdragon102 Jul 10th 2008 7:41 pm

we struggled so decided to take the risk and buy a house, worked out a lot better this way but we had 3 dogs

mandymoochops Jul 10th 2008 9:58 pm

mmmm have to say I read this and thought the same about the dad too. If you've been here since September WTF were you doing between then and when the rest of the family came over, complete with dog!!!!!

I think the key phrase here should be - research, research, research. (oh and don't book the flights for the rest of the family if you have a 3 ton dog and nowhere to put him)

And if the dog is so important to the child - how much time are the family spending at the kennels, must be every night and all night, yea right.

It seems as though this is a last ditch attempt for someone to read the paper and feel sorry for them.

pinkmcfarquhar Jul 11th 2008 12:17 am

It is difficult to find rentals when you have pets, but with a bit of research it can be done - we even had a choice of properties, and we have two largish dogs. Just have to do your work in advance and not turn up with your fingers crossed!

geedee Jul 11th 2008 3:23 am

One way around it is to offer a reasonable deposit and agree to a "professional cleaner fee" at the end of the contract.

Alberta_Rose Jul 11th 2008 3:26 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6558402)
mmmm have to say I read this and thought the same about the dad too. If you've been here since September WTF were you doing between then and when the rest of the family came over, complete with dog!!!!!

I think the key phrase here should be - research, research, research. (oh and don't book the flights for the rest of the family if you have a 3 ton dog and nowhere to put him)

And if the dog is so important to the child - how much time are the family spending at the kennels, must be every night and all night, yea right.

It seems as though this is a last ditch attempt for someone to read the paper and feel sorry for them.

Quite.

Steve_P Jul 11th 2008 4:17 am

In addition to what has been already commented about above.

Am I reading this correctly in that they are limiting their search to Cochrane?:confused:

Biiiiink Jul 11th 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6559144)
In addition to what has been already commented about above.

Am I reading this correctly in that they are limiting their search to Cochrane?:confused:

And that's like Universal Studios I now know :eek:

I'd say how silly I thought they were on a few counts but they might be members here so I won't. There, I didn't.

DebbieK Jul 11th 2008 1:40 pm

We have a Yellow Labrador and a Chocolate Newfie, not that the colour makes any difference. We too hope to rent, and have wondered how much of an issue that is going to be for us, but hey, we will be checking that out as soon as we have the job offer (we hope!) and have already considered the potential need to offer a deposit to cover any damage that the owner thinks they may cause. They have never done any here, but we understand why owners might be nervous, but we also have insurance on both dogs that would cover that eventuality, would that not also help to reassure? :confused: