Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for railway work

Looking for railway work

Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Akentgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for railway work

I have been on the railway in the UK for 28 years and Im looking to move to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal. I am currrently a Train Running Controller (bit like air traffic controller but with trains). I have been actively applying for similar jobs with CN rail but they always send back a rejection letter stating I am not qualified!!
Any suggestions on how to get my foor in the door?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for railway work

Find out what qualifications they want then study for them?

Alternatively, see if there are other positions within the rail industry that you might have skills for.

And think about what advice you might give a Canuck asking how one gets a foot in the door at Network Rail.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

You are required to have certain certificates in order to do that job in Canada. You can read more here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

Railway traffic controllers require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.

http://www.railcan.ca/careers/training

Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info it is the same as the UK. Bit of a catch 22 situation when I have the relevent UK certificates but not the Canadian ones! lol. Might need to change my tactics!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Akentgirl
Thanks for the info it is the same as the UK. Bit of a catch 22 situation when I have the relevent UK certificates but not the Canadian ones! lol. Might need to change my tactics!
It was the same coming to Oz, mapping experience over and all that, pain in the arse but had to be done. Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:28 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Steve
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

The City of Ottawa are currently building a light rail system, opening in 2018. They will be looking for controllers.

PM me for more details.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

CP might be a better place to look for work, with all the new oil tankers going down south.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you need to re-train.

Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Looks like you need to re-train.

She's a bit loco and definitely on the wrong track.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
The City of Ottawa are currently building a light rail system, opening in 2018. They will be looking for controllers.

PM me for more details.
Is the railway construction on track?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Akentgirl
I have been on the railway in the UK for 28 years and Im looking to move to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal. I am currrently a Train Running Controller (bit like air traffic controller but with trains). I have been actively applying for similar jobs with CN rail but they always send back a rejection letter stating I am not qualified!!
Any suggestions on how to get my foor in the door?
just out of interest, is there an internationally recognised institution you could join? I'm in the signalling game and the IRSE is a pretty much world wide door opener, just a thought but worth finding out

ooh, and where in Kent? not Ashford by any chance?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is the railway construction on track?
Very good. (and yes, it is).
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked for the CPR, (and my father, and my grandfather), the seniority system was in effect, and probably still is, so getting a job as a yardmaster or dispatcher right off the hop doesn't seem likely unless things have changed a lot. When I was there last in the '70s it was still a bit like the feudal system. Your skill set could be usefull in a shipping terminal or transportation hub though, wouldn't it? Hopefully you'll get on with the railway, so good luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the advice