Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for peace

Looking for peace

Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:55 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for peace

Hi

I'm looking for peace in life and was wondering if anyone can help in deciding where to move.

What I want is to move somewhere that isn't going to be ridiculous buying a house (like the UK..where if you're starting on the property ladder you'll spend your life paying off a 2 bed flat)

My ambition and emmigrant dream is to move somewhere secluded and by a house maybe in a small village. I'm currently in IT although would consider doing something else...like cutting trees if it meant I could own a nice 4 bed housein 20-30 years time. I'd love the idea of being near a lake or mountains. Can anyone recommend any villages in Canada? I know it may be an impossible dream.

There's just got to be an escape from this 9-5 dreary hell

Last edited by zRichi; Jul 12th 2010 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for peace

Originally Posted by zRichi
Hi

I'm looking for peace in life and was wondering if anyone can help in deciding where to move.

What I want is to move somewhere that isn't going to be ridiculous buying a house (like the UK..where if you're starting on the property ladder you'll spend your life paying off a 2 bed flat)

My ambition and emmigrant dream is to move somewhere secluded and by a house maybe in a small village. I'm currently in IT although would consider doing something else...like cutting trees if it meant I could own a nice 4 bed housein 20-30 years time. I'd love the idea of being near a lake or mountains. Can anyone recommend any villages in Canada? I know it may be an impossible dream.

Cutting trees? Logging is consistently listed as one of the most hazardous occupations, and most loggers seem to know at least one person who was killed on the job. Not sure if this would typically be described as a peaceful occupation.

Canada is a huge country- it takes literally days to drive across it, so there are literally hundreds of "villages" dotted around the country. However, not sure if your idea of a village matches the Canadian version (where you could be hours away from the nearest city, completely off the grid, and no friends/neighbours for miles around).

Surely you could own a nice 4 bed home in 20/30 years if you stay in IT?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:29 pm

Yes that's pretty much what I mean
Off the grid without anyone for hours sounds like heaven!

I said logging as logging pretty much (to me I'm no expert in this subject) seems like the only profession that would get me furthest from cities.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:41 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Start your own business, then 9-5 would seem like a distant dream

You are right, you are probably not being realistic. I suppose this is one occasion when researching Iqaluit really is a viable option, but I suspect the reality of living "off the grid" for someone used to a more urban way of life might come as a rude shock.

There are lots of places in canada where doing a low level drone job for a living wage could well be enough to pay for a 4 bed house (not sure how nice though) in 20 or 30 years. Not sure where the quality of life is in that though, working to pay the bills and little else.

Forestry seems very romantic, but its hard graft, long hours, crap weather and the most dangerous job in Canada statistically speaking, plus no one is making any money at the moment from it.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:44 pm
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

I'm looking for peace in life
If you ever find it, let me know where you found it.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I said logging as logging pretty much (to me I'm no expert in this subject) seems like the only profession that would get me furthest from cities.
You would probably like the Yukon, but I don't know about logging. The trees up there are pretty short.

There are lots of things that can get you out of cities.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:05 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a couple of logging reality shows on Discovery at the minute - bugger what are they called - ooh swamp loggers is one and I can't remember the other, look it up then come back and see if it looks ideal.

Then look up the logging companies in Canada (bearing in mind the pine beetle ballsed up a lot of them with its eating habits over the last few years) and see where they are - check out 'villages' near to them.

Lastly - DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT ITS LIKE TO LIVE OFF THE GRID??????? Miles from anywhere???? A very well respected poster on here yesterday speared himself to the side of a tractor - and he's been doing this for years. Seriously i'd fear for your safety.

I admire your dream but I my advice for you would be to come over and have a weeks holiday in a wooden shed in somewhere like Fort Nelson BC in the middle of winter. Then report back as to how bad your cosy IT job is Grizzly Adams is a TV show not a documentary
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did mean peace in the very literal term however. I'm very fortunate in that I believe I found contentment a very long time ago- as long as I have a type writer/laptop to write storie, a canvas and paint brush and a good stack of books to read I'm happy with my lot so to speak.

And yes I've lived off the grid. Teaching at a school in the mountains of an indonesian island was the most remarkably beautiful part of my life and one which I very much want to replicate. Rearing chickens/goats and vegetables is nothing new to me.

A user was kind enough to post me a massive reply which is beyond helpful to me... Thank you very much and when I go to Toronto in February I will be checking out the islands. My aim will be to contract in IT and work 80 hour weeks for a year until I can afford my paradise home (probably a banged out 2 bed place with leaky floors)
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:50 pm
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

^Check out the replies in my thread Do you like where you live?. There's one post there from someone who lives in Nova Scotia. The way it was described was so beautiful, I almost left Hartford this afternoon.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching at a school in the mountains of an indonesian island was the most remarkably beautiful part of my life and one which I very much want to replicate.
Slumming it teaching for a year or two in south east asia is not the same as living that way full time. Those people are eking out their lives in poverty with limited or no access to health care and other basic services we in the west take for granted. Honestly there is no romance in being a poor subsistence farmer.

Note that you probably won't be able to do contracting in IT if you are in the middle of nowhere with no internet.

On a very hypocritical note, my search for just such an acreage outside Vancouver is going well
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Two minor technical hitches in your plans - you say as long as you've got a laptop you'll be happy. Which is great, as long as you don't need internet access for said laptop.

And I seem to recall from your previous posts that you'll need a job offer to get any kind of long term visa for Canada which is going to be somewhat tricky in a remote area.

Just a couple of things that sprung to my mind anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

How about somewhere in Cape Breton Nova Scotia? Beautiful place, cheap housing, quite possible to be isolated if you want, and they have the Community Identified scheme so you wouldn't need a job offer, just a few recce trips to make connections. Might be worth looking into?

by the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for peace and tranquility and being willing to do any job to get it! Seems perfectly feasible to me if that's what you really want - and why not go after what you really want? Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
How about somewhere in Cape Breton Nova Scotia? Beautiful place, cheap housing, quite possible to be isolated if you want, and they have the Community Identified scheme so you wouldn't need a job offer, just a few recce trips to make connections. Might be worth looking into?

http://www.snowtao.com/cruise/Jewel2...abot_Trail.jpg

http://www.capebretonhighlands.com/imgs/spring.jpg

by the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for peace and tranquility and being willing to do any job to get it! Seems perfectly feasible to me if that's what you really want - and why not go after what you really want? Good luck
In Cape Breton I got talking to someone who'd moved there years before, from Toronto's Beach. He said he had one of the best job combinations there, running whale watch tours in the summer and working as a bartender at the Legion. The latter was a sought after position because it includes winter work. No internet to speak of there, of course. Seasonal work, poverty, damp, no wonder Cape Bretoners are the people Newfies laugh at.

If you really want goats and chickens and to spear yourself with heavy equipment, make me an offer.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

The best way of achieving this dream is to become a best selling author
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Hi

As others have said. Canada is big. Really big. It also has some extreme weather. It's unlikely you will get internet access (at least not with a decent bandwidth anyway) if you move to a remote location. Villages here are nothing like back home. There's rarely a pub, or a curry house to had.

You can still buy a big chunk of land with a run down old house on it for a reasonable price here though. Even in Southern Ontario. It all depends on your price range of course. I work in IT too, and often think of doing the same thing as you. But in reality I'm just a townie at heart. The suburbs are as remote as I can take. I need a pub and a curry house nearby and neighbours to chat to in the summer evenings etc.

Best of luck with your search and stick a post on this forum when you find something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.