Reload this Page >

Looking to gain PR ASAP & job searching

Looking to gain PR ASAP & job searching

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Simosa88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to gain PR ASAP & job searching

Hi,

In February, I will be moving to Canada on my first (of two) IEC working holiday visas (I spent a year in Canada in 2011 and loved it). My ultimate goal/dream is to gain Permanent Residence as quickly as possible and I cannot express how many hours I have spent researching the best route.

Prior to Express Entry, I understand the key was to attain 1-2 years of skilled labour, submit the application and then wait for a relatively long period of time for this to process (first come first serve). Now, it seems Express Entry speeds up the process but appears rather more selective in terms of needing a profile, needing an indefinite job offer and having to be selected from the pool etc. There seems to be ambiguity due to this being a new process. There is also the issue of stricter requirements for a temporary work visa and LMIA which makes having an IEC visa even more important.

Due to travel plans (always a dream of mine), the earliest I can start looking for a job in Vancouver would be roughly 6-9 months into the first visa. I hope to get another one lined up so that i have an extra year (to show employers they will not need an LMIA for at least first 6 months - 1 year).

Onto my background/qualifications: I have a masters in molecular medicine from Imperial College, 3 years of financial advisory experience from a Big 4 accountancy firm and a chartered accountancy qualification (pending 1 final exam i will fly back for in November). My fears arise from reading a lot of reports that employers will only consider you if you have Canadian experience.

So,

1. Could anyone with any knowledge of the job industry in Vancouver (consulting, marketing, sales, NGO, start-ups, commercial finance - all jobs i would consider) give me insight into whether i will struggle with what I have? Is it very tough to get a good job? when i look at job requirements, employers seem be more demanding than in London.
2. Any tips on succeeding with permanent residence would be greatly appreciated i.e. visa route to go down (PNP v express), job searching, LMIA issues etc.
3. Can small companies and start-ups attain LMIAs or is it just large companies (I want to work for a start-up )

Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Looking to gain PR ASAP & job searching

Feel free to private message me if you don't want to write on the thread.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Why not enter as a visitor to do your travel? UK passport holders can get upto 6 months, although IEC is designed for work and travel, in your situation seems silly to use it all for travel if you can do the same without activating the work permit.

My other question is how you spent a year there in 2011?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:52 am
Just Joined

ChrisBan,

I was there on a student holiday working visa (available back then for people who had just graduated).

I know, it is frustrating eating into my visa with travel but I got the visa last march and so have to 'activate it' this March before it expires. Otherwise i would have held back on the activation.