Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for Canadian Bank with BP Account (not HSBC)

Looking for Canadian Bank with BP Account (not HSBC)

Old Dec 14th 2020, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future
Default Looking for Canadian Bank with BP Account (not HSBC)

I'm looking for a Canadian Bank that offers a British Pound account (not HSBC). I read something about TD having one that is somewhat hidden and that the tellers won't know about it and that a manager might have to call up the line of command to find out about it? Does anyone have any info about this please?
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Canadian Bank with BP Account (not HSBC)

You can deposit a british pound cheque into any bank account in Canada, or transfer funds into one from the UK - or get a transferwise borderless account (and keep a UK bank account!). Is there a specific reason you need a BP account?
Many of the banks have foreign currency accounts
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/busines...-currency.html
https://www.nbc.ca/business/internat...-accounts.html
https://www.bmo.com/home/commercial/...iness-globally
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/docume...nts/513796.pdf (opens in new tab) page 5

Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant futureCanada Goose has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Looking for Canadian Bank with BP Account (not HSBC)

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can deposit a british pound cheque into any bank account in Canada, or transfer funds into one from the UK - or get a transferwise borderless account (and keep a UK bank account!). Is there a specific reason you need a BP account?
Many of the banks have foreign currency accounts
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/busines...-currency.html
https://www.nbc.ca/business/internat...-accounts.html
https://www.bmo.com/home/commercial/...iness-globally
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/docume...nts/513796.pdf (opens in new tab) page 5
Thanks for your reply.
I am receiving an inheritance. I want the funds in BP and thus want a bank that offers a BP account. I don't qualify for a HSBC account as I no longer have a UK address. I won't be using a bank to convert the funds into CDN and want to hang onto some till the exchange is more in my favour as it sucks right now. I hear the TD has such an account but is "hidden" and the tellers won't know about it. I could not get your link to open however.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think HSBC requires you to have a UK address in order to open a GBP account in Canada.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I don't think HSBC requires you to have a UK address in order to open a GBP account in Canada.
We have a GBP account with HSBC in Canada and one in the UK, both were opened within the last year or two and we haven't had a UK address since 2004.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Thanks for your reply.
I am receiving an inheritance. I want the funds in BP and thus want a bank that offers a BP account. I don't qualify for a HSBC account as I no longer have a UK address. I won't be using a bank to convert the funds into CDN and want to hang onto some till the exchange is more in my favour as it sucks right now. I hear the TD has such an account but is "hidden" and the tellers won't know about it. I could not get your link to open however.
You will need to convert the funds to Canadian at some point - and the banks generally offer reasonable rates, unlike transfer services (other than Transferwise, who gave me a slightly better rate than the bank!). You can ask the executor of the estate to make scheduled payments over the course of the year, perhaps - so it's not in one lump sum. A Transferwise borderless account may be best for this for you - you can hold the funds in the account and transfer them when the rate improves. Do bear in mind that you could be taxed on the difference in value from date of inheritance to date of receipt in Canadian funds; while inheritances are not liable for taxes, any increase in the value of them could be, so if it's a significant amount you mght want to have an informal chat with a tax expert/accountant... and you will need to disclose it even if it's overseas (world income) and valued at $100,000 or more.

TD do have an account - I would suggest that you make an appointment (phone or video) with a customer service advisor at your local branch - no point in going to see a teller at the front desk, they won't have a clue.

Page 5 of the pdf - no idea why it won't open for you - I only have to click on it for it to open in a new tab (firefox on desktop)
Old Dec 14th 2020, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

HSBC has 3 types of BP accounts, the basic one requires a UK address. The two higher and more premium accounts I do not qualify for money wise lol.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You will need to convert the funds to Canadian at some point - and the banks generally offer reasonable rates, unlike transfer services (other than Transferwise, who gave me a slightly better rate than the bank!). You can ask the executor of the estate to make scheduled payments over the course of the year, perhaps - so it's not in one lump sum. A Transferwise borderless account may be best for this for you - you can hold the funds in the account and transfer them when the rate improves. Do bear in mind that you could be taxed on the difference in value from date of inheritance to date of receipt in Canadian funds; while inheritances are not liable for taxes, any increase in the value of them could be, so if it's a significant amount you mght want to have an informal chat with a tax expert/accountant... and you will need to disclose it even if it's overseas (world income) and valued at $100,000 or more.

TD do have an account - I would suggest that you make an appointment (phone or video) with a customer service advisor at your local branch - no point in going to see a teller at the front desk, they won't have a clue.

Page 5 of the pdf - no idea why it won't open for you - I only have to click on it for it to open in a new tab (firefox on desktop)
Thank you, I didn't realise the link automatically downloaded the pdf...duuh, Homer Simpson moment. I shall be contacting TD today. There are several reputable exchange companies that give much better rates than the traditional banks such as KnitghtsbridgeFX