Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice regarding a potential family move to Canada

Originally Posted by purpleangel
Yes 30 C is too hot for him!
You may as well cross Australia off your list then. Summer temperatures in a lot of places in Australia reach 40+. UV is almost always in the "extreme" range.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was going to suggest that New Zealand might be more doable but have seen that there is nothing to work on with regard to visa eligibility.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 4:38 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to suggest Nova Scotia, today is the warmest its been for a while at 24C, feels like 29C (its been a rubbish couple of weeks)
So compared to the rest of the place - its the coolest (apart from up North and Newfoundland)
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purpleangel
climate-wise OH would prefer somewhere not too warm, but I'm open minded as long as fans are available!

Depending on where you are, fans aren't going to cut it in the summer and you will likely need air conditioning.

re: schooling - does the schooling system start with nursery, reception, infant school, as here in the UK?
Nursery schools are not part of the school system, they are privately run. Some provinces provide nursery age spaces in local schools but not everyone uses them.

Does state schooling exist or is it a privately funded system?

We have both public (state funded) and private schools at which you pay fees.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am going to suggest Nova Scotia, today is the warmest its been for a while at 24C, feels like 29C (its been a rubbish couple of weeks)
So compared to the rest of the place - its the coolest (apart from up North and Newfoundland)

The Maritimes are great, and very beautiful, but the OP might be a bit shocked by the winters there!

I would love to move to the Maritimes myself but am not sure I could handle the winters, and I've been in Ontario most of my life and am therefore accustomed to snow!
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 6:50 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
The Maritimes are great, and very beautiful, but the OP might be a bit shocked by the winters there!

I would love to move to the Maritimes myself but am not sure I could handle the winters, and I've been in Ontario most of my life and am therefore accustomed to snow!
we had soooo much snow last winter that it collapsed many decks and ruined many above ground pools. We have snow every winter, but not like that was.
The Maritimes rock - frankly!
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 7:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, to avoid the risk of winter weather including many days that are -10°C or colder and/or substantial amounts of snow, you have to be so far south of the US-Canadian border that you are closer to the Gulf of Mexico than Canada. ...... By which time you are facing summer temperatures that commonly reach well over 30°C, and 35+°C temperatures are not uncommon.

Worse given the "continental" weather patterns that North America experiences, it is very common to experience bitterly cold and/or heavy snow in the winter AND high summer temperatures in the same location.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 2nd 2015 at 4:01 pm. Reason: Requested by OP
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

On the electrical front, you can buy transformers easily to convert the voltage. On things like Laptops/computers and many other consumer electronics, check if there is a UK/US selector switch on it - many of them are dual voltage and you only need to change the plug.

On the temperatures, In the Fraser Valley (Near Vancouver) it is so hot at the moment that a friends visitors from Uganda (Africa) were complaining that it was too warm for them!

Having said that - its really lovely and if you have AC in your home, more than bearable.

If you don't have AC, here's a tip;
During the daytime, close your windows, blinds, curtains, shutters etc - this prevents letting in the heat from outside,. At nighttime, when it's much cooler, open all your windows (providing you have bug screens on them ofc) and make use of "free cooling" to get the temperatures down.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 9:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
...At nighttime, when it's much cooler, open all your windows (providing you have bug screens on them ofc) and make use of "free cooling" to get the temperatures down.
It's often not much cooler at night though and when it is, it's often still not "enough" cooler.

The humidity frequently just means warm stuffy air would come through the open window. Or just seal you in, so the aircon stays on.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's often not much cooler at night though and when it is, it's often still not "enough" cooler.

The humidity frequently just means warm stuffy air would come through the open window. Or just seal you in, so the aircon stays on.
It's generally always several degrees cooler at night then the daytime, that's a consequence of the sun not radiating heat on you. I also said the advice was for those without AC as a way to be cooler at night - it's called "Free-Cooling".
Yes, if you have a building with excellent insulation, Thermally insulative/reflective windows, it's likely going to be a low Delta t (between inside and outside) and not worth the effort, but with how they build houses here, there aren't many in that scenario.

Today Sunny. Windy near the Strait of Georgia. High 25 except 32 inland. UV index 8 or very high.
Tonight A few clouds. Windy near the Strait of Georgia. Low 17.

That's todays weather forecast for Vancouver - for most people, tonight would be an excellent time to make use of "Free cooling"
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:18 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have AC, here's a tip;
During the daytime, close your windows, blinds, curtains, shutters etc - this prevents letting in the heat from outside,. At nighttime, when it's much cooler, open all your windows (providing you have bug screens on them ofc) and make use of "free cooling" to get the temperatures down.
Let us know how that goes.

The 'free cooling' will follow the free baking! Close your windows and the temperature sky rockets inside, even with blinds and drapes!

Keep all windows open and doors open, allow a free flow of air in and convection will take care of the rest.

Right now Upper Fraser Valley is 34.2c
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's generally always several degrees cooler at night then the daytime, that's a consequence of the sun not radiating heat on you. I also said the advice was for those without AC as a way to be cooler at night - it's called "Free-Cooling".
Yes, but why can't those with AC still have the free cooling without paying for the AC to be on

It's obviously correct to say the sun radiates, but sometimes the humidity and no sun is more stifling than just the sun.

There's always a period in the year, for example, where we have the AC on overnight but turned off in the morning and the house remains cool enough even with the sun streaming down, sometimes with the windows covered, sometimes open, sometimes closed (something else that varies) but the night would have been too uncomfortable without the AC.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, but why can't those with AC still have the free cooling without paying for the AC to be on .

It's obviously correct to say the sun radiates, but sometimes the humidity and no sun is more stifling than just the sun.

There's always a period in the year, for example, where we have the AC on overnight but turned off in the morning and the house remains cool enough even with the sun streaming down, sometimes with the windows covered, sometimes open, sometimes closed (something else that varies) but the night would have been too uncomfortable without the AC.
I agree - but for those without any AC, this is about the only option.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aviator
Let us know how that goes.

The 'free cooling' will follow the free baking! Close your windows and the temperature sky rockets inside, even with blinds and drapes!

Keep all windows open and doors open, allow a free flow of air in and convection will take care of the rest.

Right now Upper Fraser Valley is 34.2c
The main methods of transferring heat are Radiation (closing the blinds/drapes helps prevent this, as do thermal windows with low thermal emmisivity ) Conduction - good insulation helps reduce this, but it's a tough one to stop totally, unless you bury your house in the ground and convection. Convection is the movement caused within a fluid or gas by the tendency of hotter and therefore less dense material to rise, and colder, denser material to sink under the influence of gravity, which consequently results in transfer of heat.

If you have a building with a large Solar footprint (lots of uncovered windows), then having openings at high level and also low level along with the assistance of convection, will help ventilate the area without mechanical forced assistance (called natural ventilation)

Obviously, my previous comments are a generalisation and every building is different, but generally, if your house is 30DegC inside (for example) and its 34.2DegC outside, opening your windows will INCREASE the temperature inside, so I am more than happy to keep mine closed during the day and open them at night - you continue on opening yours during the day as it seems to work for you

BTW, I'm a controls engineer this past 25 years, I do this shit for a living lol
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Howefamily
we had soooo much snow last winter that it collapsed many decks and ruined many above ground pools. We have snow every winter, but not like that was.
The Maritimes rock - frankly!

I knew a few people in university who moved out there from Ontario and they all love it, none of them are ever coming back. I also knew people from the Maritimes in grad school and they couldn't wait to get out of Ontario and back down east.

I think I want to get out of Ontario and would easily choose the Maritimes were it not for the winters. Victoria is my other option but the cost of living will be much higher there than in the Maritimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.