Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Look-see flights booked, now what ?

Look-see flights booked, now what ?

Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

alidew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Look-see flights booked, now what ?

So I've just booked flights for my OH to visit Montreal and Calgary in October. We have a couple of interesting leads lined up, but what other things should he be checking out while there ?

I've pinpointed neighbourhoods I'd like him to go and recce (Hudson, Qc and Cochrane, Ab), plus I want him to go to a supermarket just to get a feel for price / product comparisons.

Anything else ?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look-see flights booked, now what ?

My partner did similar things - visited some areas, viewed flats, went to a supermarket (took photos), some other markets etc. He had a few meals in restaurants, went to the pub (apparently this was for research purposes, too). Oh, and he went to a football game and climbed a mountain. All for research...
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:19 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alidew
So I've just booked flights for my OH to visit Montreal and Calgary in October. We have a couple of interesting leads lined up, but what other things should he be checking out while there ?

I've pinpointed neighbourhoods I'd like him to go and recce (Hudson, Qc and Cochrane, Ab), plus I want him to go to a supermarket just to get a feel for price / product comparisons.

Anything else ?
We were the same before we moved over. We kept driving around various neighbourhoods and marked on a map the ones we liked and the ones we didn't. We went around various supermarkets to see what was available/prices etc and just looked around other shops and malls too. Did a bit of sightseeing and other touristy things too. At that stage, its just getting a feeling for a place. It was only later once we knew where we wanted to go and later knew where we were going that we could get more involved, ie. opening a bank account, checking out the schools etc.

Anyway, I see you mention Cochrane, AB, which is where we are. If you want your OH to meet up when he's here for a chat or if you have any questions generally about the town that I may be able to help with then please don't hesitate to ask. We love it here!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Anything else ?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Anyway, I see you mention Cochrane, AB, which is where we are. If you want your OH to meet up when he's here for a chat or if you have any questions generally about the town that I may be able to help with then please don't hesitate to ask. We love it here! [/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks ! We have 3 children, so my googling for where to live has been based on search for good schools & amenities (Cubs, riding lessons, etc). I want to make it as painless as possible for them !

Too early for bank accounts, actual school visits until OH actually has a job offer in his paw (he's MD of a software consultancy).
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Aviator, thank you for the link - hadn't seen it before ! Very useful
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

Anything else ?
Get him to pick up flyers from the main supermarkets, drive/take transit at rush hour to see what the commute really involves, keep an eye on gas (petrol) prices every day - it's not unusal for at 10c per liter change over night! (in Alberta anyway, here in Leduc we dropped down to 108.9 from 114.9 between me leaving from work and coming home). Drive around as many communities as possible, working out the pros and cons for each.

That's all I can think of right now.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 8:40 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks ! We have 3 children, so my googling for where to live has been based on search for good schools & amenities (Cubs, riding lessons, etc). I want to make it as painless as possible for them !

Too early for bank accounts, actual school visits until OH actually has a job offer in his paw (he's MD of a software consultancy).
Yep, I know exactly where you're coming from! We have two kids and have been more than happy with our experience of the local schools. My eldest is in Middle School and my youngest is still at Elementary School. We haven't done riding lessons although there's plenty of places nearby to do so. My eldest was in Cubs and loved it but will be moving on to Scouts in a few weeks.