Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Long haul from UK to Canada

Long haul from UK to Canada

Old Jan 8th 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long haul from UK to Canada

Originally Posted by UK_NL
Hello everybody! I've been ready along silently for some time now, as I'm also thinking about making the move in a couple of years.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the "new" situation with LMIA's vs LMO's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you search for a company that pays the median wage or more, the 10% rule for TFW does not apply at all as you are a Low Skill High Wage employee.

As far as I can make out, any company looking to employ a Low Skill High Wage employee has a good chance at getting a LMIA.

If you look at the Canadian Job Bank, there are jobs on their that have been online for at least 6 months, if I was looking to move now, those are the companies I would start calling.

Mark.
likely those jobs are not for immigrants needing an LMIA but give them a shot, I know a lot of recruiters and right now i don't know of any that are taking drivers that need an LMIA, My best guess was Loblaws because of the numbers.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJam
So you did the same journey every day? Definitely not for me that one. I'd be bored stiff in an hour thinking about the the same journey home....
This is somewhat of a red flag for me, for this is the second time you've mentioned the scenery/journey. Most of Canada's scenery isn't as spectacular as you may be imagining, and can be rather underwhelming and repetitive for hours and hours at a time. Literally hundreds of miles the same scenery, without many features to admire. This is not an exaggeration. Have you played with Google Maps Street View along the major highways? There are a few extremely scenic parts of Canada, but the majority of it is rather unremarkable. It can often take an entire day of driving, 8-12 hours, before the geography/scenery begins to change, and you enter into a new climate zone, or a new landscape.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 8th 2015 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everybody! I've been ready along silently for some time now, as I'm also thinking about making the move in a couple of years.

I have been doing a lot of reading about the "new" situation with LMIA's vs LMO's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you search for a company that pays the median wage or more, the 10% rule for TFW does not apply at all as you are a Low Skill High Wage employee.

As far as I can make out, any company looking to employ a Low Skill High Wage employee has a good chance at getting a LMIA.

If you look at the Canadian Job Bank, there are jobs on their that have been online for at least 6 months, if I was looking to move now, those are the companies I would start calling.

Mark.
Mark you could try contacting the big hitters,Bison and H&R and see what they say but in 2 yrs time when you are planning to come over things may have changed.In 2016 companies will have to reduce their foreign workers to 10% so they might give up on the program altogether if they havent already.
Some companies keep ads on Job Bank continously,they usually say 10 or 20 vacancies but as Juggernaut said the company may not have LMIAs.
I recently came across a company called TAG Logistics Corp.I have never heard of them,they look like a recruiting agency but they say on their website they have been recruiting foreign drivers for 5yrs.
Foreign Worker Program
No harm in calling them but if they want loads of money I wouldnt bother and its a good idea to call companies in Canada and not just email as more than likely you wont get a reply.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

A word of caution, I know of situations where agencies charged ten of thousands of dollars and drivers ended up working for a real cowboy outfit, Please use extreme caution when dealing with agencies, They are interested in extracting as much money out of you as they can and thats all.
I know all of the recruiters at H&R and their over seas recruiting is dead in the water right now but as stated when they reach their target 10% of TFW's i personally think they'll restart it.
I often flick through TruckStop News online and not even the agencies are advertising in the UK right now, surprised the hell out of me that not ONE advert for canada !

Truckstop News
Old Jan 9th 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I just sent off an enquiry form to TAG asking how much they charge.I know a couple of drivers from these forums who paid recruiting agencies to come to Canada.One driver 3000 GBP he went to H&R the other went east coast I think he paid something similiar but both were reasonably happy .I being scottish wouldnt want to pay anything lol but it works for some people!

Last edited by neilcumming; Jan 9th 2015 at 4:19 pm. Reason: missed out a word
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJam
Has anyone got any info or worked for CH Express Inc. Ontario?
Just checking, but you're aware that there's no route to PR for a trucker in Ontario? If you're thinking of aiming for PR, you'll need to look at other provinces, or have an OH with skilled experience that may qualify for PR.

You're absolutely right, but so far it seems there aren't any truck companies meting that requirement! Remember it's an average wage across the whole company, so even if one driver earns above the minimum amount, if others don't then it will drag it down so that the company doesn't qualify.

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I just sent off an enquiry form to TAG asking how much they charge.I know a couple of drivers from these forums who paid recruiting agencies to come to Canada.One driver 3000 GBP he went to H&R the other went east coast I think he paid something similiar but both were reasonably happy .I being scottish wouldnt want to anything lol but it works for some people!
Although worth noting that it's illegal in most Canadian provinces for any 'agency' to charge somebody for helping them with job hunting. Employment Agencies' Fees-Canada : British Expat Wiki So I'll be interested to see what TAG say!

HTH.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

UK_NL is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark you could try contacting the big hitters,Bison and H&R and see what they say but in 2 yrs time when you are planning to come over things may have changed.In 2016 companies will have to reduce their foreign workers to 10% so they might give up on the program altogether if they havent already.
Some companies keep ads on Job Bank continously,they usually say 10 or 20 vacancies but as Juggernaut said the company may not have LMIAs.
I recently came across a company called TAG Logistics Corp.I have never heard of them,they look like a recruiting agency but they say on their website they have been recruiting foreign drivers for 5yrs.
Foreign Worker Program
No harm in calling them but if they want loads of money I wouldnt bother and its a good idea to call companies in Canada and not just email as more than likely you wont get a reply.
Yes I did come across their name a couple of times before, but I haven't actually contacted anyone as of yet, far too soon in my case.

Getting back the the 10% rule, as far as I can make out, this does not apply to companies paying at or above the median wage. For example:

This job states wages of Hourly: min. $29 for 60.0 hours per week.

The job location is in Edmonton. Edmonton region states a median wage of $ 25 per hour.

As far as I can make out, this employer should be able to apply for a positive LMIA (providing he meets the other criteria and is willing to do so ) regardless of the number of TFW's he already employs.

Or am I mistaken?
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I doubt any trucking companies would meet the median wage rule, pay is normally by the mile and your wage is governed by load availability and how hard an individual driver will run, compounded by the different divisions which have different pay scales, decks, Super B decks, Vans, reefers and glass hauling, heavy haul etc. One company i know pays a normal van driver 38c per mile while the heavy haul driver (13 axles) are paid $45 per hour for all hours worked and time and a half on the weekends after 50 hours so the median rule i think will never work for the majority of trucking outfits.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok when I hear from TAG I will post what they say.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I doubt any trucking companies would meet the median wage rule, pay is normally by the mile and your wage is governed by load availability and how hard an individual driver will run, compounded by the different divisions which have different pay scales, decks, Super B decks, Vans, reefers and glass hauling, heavy haul etc. One company i know pays a normal van driver 38c per mile while the heavy haul driver (13 axles) are paid $45 per hour for all hours worked and time and a half on the weekends after 50 hours so the median rule i think will never work for the majority of trucking outfits.
Okay, that's understandable. We'll see where it goes then
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you see companies advertising at $29 an hr they dont need to get foreign drivers, they will get canadians to fill those vacancies.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

If you see companies advertising at $29 an hr they dont need to get foreign drivers, they will get canadians to fill those vacancies.
Yes, that does seem more likely.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

Hi,

I am no expert but would you not need a permanent address to open a bank account which you would need to get paid?

I have a friend who was driving out West between Canada and the U.S and he was waiting to get his perminent residency but he hadn't realised that every day he was in the States was not counted towards his days in Canada for his p.r so it took him 8 months longer than he thought, just something to keep in mind if doing long distance, better to stay in Canada.

good luck in your new adventure x
Old Jan 10th 2015, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
Hi,

I am no expert but would you not need a permanent address to open a bank account which you would need to get paid?

I have a friend who was driving out West between Canada and the U.S and he was waiting to get his perminent residency but he hadn't realised that every day he was in the States was not counted towards his days in Canada for his p.r so it took him 8 months longer than he thought, just something to keep in mind if doing long distance, better to stay in Canada.

good luck in your new adventure x

I think that (if i am right)driving in the USA only affects you getting citizenship, and you lose partial days or something like that. PR is not affected by driving in the USA as my husband has driven there. Bank account you do need an address, but when he first came out here he used the company address to get his bank account, and when we arrived and got a place just changed the address.

������
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I got my PR driving long haul in the USA.You are working for a canadian company and have a canadian address so its not a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.