Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London vs Toronto - move or not

London vs Toronto - move or not

Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London vs Toronto - move or not

Originally Posted by dbd33
you're commenting on life in each of two cities while living in neither.
Er...doesn't the same apply to you? And others on this thread? I've actually lived in both cities and I still visit both regularly.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've been to both, but never did it occur to me that there was the slightest similarity. Maybe I just hadn't drunk enough?
Being in Kilburn and not being drunk enough kind of misses the point.

My lasting memory is that every night, just before closing time, someone would come round the pub with a bucket asking for a donation for the boys. It could have been for the bhoys instead, but I though it best not to ask and just to chuck in a pound.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

What's to make sense of ?
Face lift.... behind the facade.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Chances are the truth will lie somewhere in between.
Ok then, given the information in the OP, would you recommend they move or not?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 4:49 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to both, but never did it occur to me that there was the slightest similarity. Maybe I just hadn't drunk enough?

On a lighter note, the walk from Kilburn onto Oxford street is a nice one during the week and even better on weekends

Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Ok then, given the information in the OP, would you recommend they move or not?
I don't know the OP. Much depends on attitude - i.e. how much she really wants to move to Canada, how determined she is to make it work when there are bumps in the road. If she really wants to experience living and working in another country and why. I think a recce visit is a must.

Personally speaking, I would do it. And I did do it although my circumstances were certainly different. No two people are going to be in the exact same situation.

However, she said the process is a "hassle". Now that may be true but if that's what is uppermost in her mind, that could be a sign that the required attitude and determination isn't really there. So that makes me doubt it's the right move for the OP. That advice is of course based on my perception of the info given and probably worth what she paid for it.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:27 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
On a lighter note, the walk from Kilburn onto Oxford street is a nice one during the week and even better on weekends

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._entrance2.jpg
Im having flash backs to the National
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Er...doesn't the same apply to you? And others on this thread? I've actually lived in both cities and I still visit both regularly.
Pots and kettles are referenced in a saying, used in London and, to a lesser extent in Toronto. The saying, in full, is "that's the pot calling the kettle black" it implies that someone making an accusation is him or herself guilty of the offense suggested; if that person is the pot then the pot is as black as the kettle. (Black here is used in a perjorative sense though not one making reference to skin colour).

Thus, when you arrived and suggested that people commenting weren't living simultaneously in London and Toronto and I made reference to the rattling of pots and kettles I was advancing the view that you were in the same position, figuratively and geographically, as those you criticized. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pots and kettles are referenced in a saying, used in London and, to a lesser extent in Toronto. The saying, in full, is "that's the pot calling the kettle black" it implies that someone making an accusation is him or herself guilty of the offense suggested; if that person is the pot then the pot is as black as the kettle. (Black here is used in a perjorative sense though not one making reference to skin colour).

Thus, when you arrived and suggested that people commenting weren't living simultaneously in London and Toronto and I made reference to the rattling of pots and kettles I was advancing the view that you were in the same position, figuratively and geographically, as those you criticized. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Ah now I see where you're wrong. You see I never actually claimed that either city was the best in the world or that either city was better than the other. Personally I might prefer one over the other but I certainly wouldn't be able to state that on someone else's behalf - which is what I actually was commenting on (NOT whether people commenting were living in London or Toronto). Glad I could clear that up for you.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:42 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm...alright then

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Im having flash backs to the National
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Face lift.... behind the facade.
Ah...facade...facelift...now I geddit.

I think it's a great project all the same, keep the elegance of Regent Street but upgrade the buildings on it. It's what makes cities like London so interesting, you never know what grandeur is behind the next door.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah now I see where you're wrong. You see I never actually claimed that either city was the best in the world or that either city was better than the other. Personally I might prefer one over the other but I certainly wouldn't be able to state that on someone else's behalf - which is what I actually was commenting on (NOT whether people commenting were living in London or Toronto). Glad I could clear that up for you.
I'm afraid you've rather muddled it more. However, let's move on.

"Personally speaking, I would do it." you said a couple of posts back.

Am I correct in interpreting that as meaning that in the OP's position you would move from London to Toronto?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:53 pm
Banned

Favourite store on Regent street today and not 1880, this one?

Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nice lights. Too bad the inside of the store is still c.1970...
Old Nov 15th 2012, 5:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live about 50 paces from where that photographer was standing. Happy days. Well remember the buckets going round, and the boys selling An Phoblacht.

Edit: The Kilburn one, not the Regent Street one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.