Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London vs Toronto - move or not

London vs Toronto - move or not

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 5:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London vs Toronto - move or not

Originally Posted by bats
That's not a disadvantage though is it. I like the place. Museums and galleries easy to get to. It looks nice, open, not claustrophobic, shopping is good, food good and of course it feels right.
No, not necessarily a disadvantage. Is it more open than other Canadian cities; I've never found any to be particularly claustrophobic. It is one of the few major Canadian cities that I have not had the chance to visit.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So we are now on page 21 of this discussion I wonder if the OP has anymore thoughts on this or have they made a decision?
Is this another one of those threads that BE members are asked for an opinion on or give advice on but never find out what the OP decided to do.
If that is the case then perhaps they should be banned for sending us on a roller coaster of emotions trying to get our views across and it turns out all for nothing as we never got an answer.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Character or lack of it sums it up for me. When I think of cities I like I get a feeling, a memory of the place.

London and Chicago - buzzy, exciting. Rome and Istanbul - hectic, buzzy, exotic. Paris- ahh bliss. Edinburgh, Boston, Ottawa, Copenhagen-comfortable, classy. Toronto - ugh, get me out of here.
LMFAO! You think Ottawa is comfortable and classy and Toronto is some type of dump? FFS! Anyway that was a good laugh, thanks!

The reason for the big laugh? I know many people who rank Ottawa as among the most boring cities they've ever been to. And that includes people who live there or used to live there!

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 23rd 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
LMFAO! You think Ottawa is comfortable and classy and Toronto is some type of dump? FFS! Anyway that was a good laugh, thanks!

The reason for the big laugh? I know many people who rank Ottawa as among the most boring cities they've ever been to. And that includes people who live there or used to live there!
Maybe they just like dirty, messy chaos and have no need for culture? That would explain it.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they ever go to Barbarella's?
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Ottawa. I've been there many times. It's a great place to raise a family. But it's hardly the most exciting of places and it certainly doesn't make Toronto look like a dump. Still laughing over that one.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Ottawa. I've been there many times. It's a great place to raise a family. But it's hardly the most exciting of places and it certainly doesn't make Toronto look like a dump. Still laughing over that one.
Glad to amuse

So tell me what wonders Toronto holds. Next time we have UK visitors what should I show them that will make them like the place? What delights does it hold?
Old Nov 24th 2012, 1:18 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so now you're entering the twilight world of hypocritical double-standards. You've spent your last God-knows-how-many posts on here getting at people for suggesting that there's not much of a choice between London and Toronto, and that Toronto has some redeeming features*, and so on. Now you're doing exactly what you accuse others of doing: making a comparison between Ottawa and Toronto that was not made by Bats. She simply said that she liked Ottawa. You simply said that you liked Toronto. Why is it that you can laugh at Bats for that but you take umbrage when we make light of your suggestion that Toronto is a sensible alternative to London?

*though your list of redeeming features lacks any, IMHO, that would make Toronto appeal over London. Nice-but-unaffordable neighbourhoods: Chelsea behind Cheyne Walk; Hampstead; Notting Hill if you must. Better than a stroll through the Beach or Cabbagetown. The Islands, High Park: I'll take Richmond Park and Hyde Park, thanks, for my picnic, and I won't have to line up in a cattle pen to get there. St Lawrence Market: where to start? Borough, perhaps? Spitalfields? "High culture" - sure, there's a half decent symphony, an opera company of sorts, there are a handful of off-broadway theatres and actually quite a good collection of less mainstream performing arts spaces; the museums and galleries are good but expensive, and none of the above has the quality or quantity that London offers. As to your comment about nightlife, I rather hope you're joking.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
OK, so now you're entering the twilight world of hypocritical double-standards. You've spent your last God-knows-how-many posts on here getting at people for suggesting that there's not much of a choice between London and Toronto, and that Toronto has some redeeming features*, and so on. Now you're doing exactly what you accuse others of doing: making a comparison between Ottawa and Toronto that was not made by Bats. She simply said that she liked Ottawa. You simply said that you liked Toronto. Why is it that you can laugh at Bats for that but you take umbrage when we make light of your suggestion that Toronto is a sensible alternative to London?

*though your list of redeeming features lacks any, IMHO, that would make Toronto appeal over London. Nice-but-unaffordable neighbourhoods: Chelsea behind Cheyne Walk; Hampstead; Notting Hill if you must. Better than a stroll through the Beach or Cabbagetown. The Islands, High Park: I'll take Richmond Park and Hyde Park, thanks, for my picnic, and I won't have to line up in a cattle pen to get there. St Lawrence Market: where to start? Borough, perhaps? Spitalfields? "High culture" - sure, there's a half decent symphony, an opera company of sorts, there are a handful of off-broadway theatres and actually quite a good collection of less mainstream performing arts spaces; the museums and galleries are good but expensive, and none of the above has the quality or quantity that London offers. As to your comment about nightlife, I rather hope you're joking.
This should be, and I rather hope turns out to be, the end of this ludicrous thread.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This should be, and I rather hope turns out to be, the end of this ludicrous thread.
Indeed. Thread closed as the OP hasn't been back for a long time anyway.