Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:22 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

Originally Posted by darkin
you read my mind. I've just spent an hour trawling the web. So, say he found something Vancouver or Toronto way, do you reckon this would satisfy my needs? Will probably re-post relevant questions for these areas.
For Vancouver, it depends where you would be living and it especially depends on your budget. It's still very different from the likes of Surrey and London, UK, for it's offerings along your requirements but as long as you set clear expectations from the start, you'll have no surprises. Dotted around many areas there are lots of nice cafes, trails for walking, and breathtaking scenery. In many areas there are definitely not.

You really should visit though to give you at least some expectations. Otherwise it could be an expensive trial.

Invest in a reccie so you see for yourself. Moreover, be realistic. Spending a few £'s on physical research could potentially save you much more £'s later on
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

darkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. You make an excellent point about expensive trials. We will definitely go for a recce as soon as we can... I think our focus might have changed slightly though.

Looking at the Canniversary section though (another good tip), it seems everyone is FAR more positive about Vancouver in terms of the art side of things. And it definitely seems as much of a possibility, company-wise also.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been much appreciated.

We need to kick this move into gear now!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:28 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Montreal would be my choice.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Please do elaborate! I'm open to options!

I know there are a fair few purely english speakers, and many folk who speak both languages in some areas, but my french is very basic. Would this present problems for me more broadly? I'm actually really up for learning, but it'd be a while before I could have a conversation beyond, 'Ou est le gare?' In fact, I'm not even sure I've got the male/female right there!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Tim E is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from Cheam, Surrey to London approx 3 years ago and have been more than happy. I work downtown in London but live in in a little village just north.

I'm assuming if the OH is in the Games industry he's applying to Digital Extremes or Big Blue Bubble. I've heard both are very good but difficult to get into.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info

Tim
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

If you want arty farty you should move to Nelson, BC.

Learn to smoke funny things though.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:13 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

you read my mind. I've just spent an hour trawling the web. So, say he found something Vancouver or Toronto way, do you reckon this would satisfy my needs? Will probably re-post relevant questions for these areas.
I'm with El Richo - Vancouver has a flourishing gaming industry. On the other fronts, the country side is very accessible here, tons of options for dog walking. I live on the North Shore and the outdoors is virtually at the back door. The city is the most walkable of any I've been to.

Culture and the arts is definately there but is probably comparable to a similar sized Northern UK city rather than London. It's certainly not what defines the place.

On the downside it's very expensive here, especially where housing is concerned. It also rains a lot in the winter. I'd say the climate is similar to the UK but with typically more dependable summers.

I like the Vancouver Biennale which has gained momentum over the years:

http://www.vancouverbiennale.com/

There are a number of galleries - check out South Granville which is known as art gallery row.

http://www.southgranville.org/south_...llery_row.html

The Vancouver Art Gallery is in the process of having a purpose built gallery and the Museam of Vancouver is hoping to move to the former Art Gallery. Although with an emphasis on native art, check out the Museam of Anthropolgy and the Bill Reid exhibit.

For arts and crafts and performing arts, check out Granville Island.

There are also a number of smaller indpendent theatres dotted around the city (the cultch, Stanley Alliance, etc) in addition to a couple run by the city (Queen Elizabeth and Vancouver Playhouse). opera can be found at the Queen E and the Vancouver Orchestra plays out of the Orpheum on Granville.

vancouer fringe festival is about to start:

http://www.vancouverfringe.com/

As you can see lots of options, but you have to know where to go and make an effort, not like London where it's on every corner. Most of the venues are out of the core.

Last edited by dboy; Sep 9th 2010 at 3:38 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tim E. thanks for your help. Have PM'ed you.

Mandymoochops- Excellent name btw! Will look into companies in Nelson. Thanks for the pointer. Looks very small (not necessarily a bad thing though) and very green on the map (gets huge brownie points if that's the case).

Dboy- brilliant post. Really useful. Thanks so much. Am checking out all those links now.

re: housing. Are there any pockets of REASONABLY affordable houses in decent areas? I like what you said about having the outdoors on your door step. can you still get to shops etc within ok driving distance?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:27 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Also forgot to mention Bard on the Beach, which is Shakesphere on the beach at Vanier park. Been there every summer as long as i can recall.

http://www.bardonthebeach.org/

Also Circ Du Soleil come reguluarly (which was amazing).

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/sho...vancouver.aspx

There is also the Centre which was supposed to bring all the main headline shows but was a bit of flop due in part to poor planning.

http://www.centreinvancouver.com/

the city is wanting to build a new theatre and create a cultural precint around teh area where the centre, queen e, playhouse and library are. this bodes well with the art gallery wanting to build into the area.

I always felt vancouver gets a bad rap for limited arts, i suspect that it's because it so spread out across the city. Granville Island has 5 or 6 small theatres.

need any more info, drop me a pm.

Last edited by dboy; Sep 10th 2010 at 5:34 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Also forgot to mention Bard on the Beach, which is Shakesphere on the beach at Vanier park. Been there every summer as long as i can recall.

http://www.bardonthebeach.org/

Also Circ Du Soleil come reguluarly (which was amazing).

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/sho...vancouver.aspx

There is also the Centre which was supposed to bring all the main headline shows but was a bit of flop due in part to poor planning.

need any more info, drop me a pm.
I enjoy Bard on the Beach but the chairs are bloody uncomfortable.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:35 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

T

re: housing. Are there any pockets of REASONABLY affordable houses in decent areas? I like what you said about having the outdoors on your door step. can you still get to shops etc within ok driving distance?
Define "reasonably affordable"

Define "Decent area"
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:21 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Please do elaborate! I'm open to options!

I know there are a fair few purely english speakers, and many folk who speak both languages in some areas, but my french is very basic. Would this present problems for me more broadly? I'm actually really up for learning, but it'd be a while before I could have a conversation beyond, 'Ou est le gare?' In fact, I'm not even sure I've got the male/female right there!
You say your husband is in the games industry and you want culture and affordable housing. I don't think I can stress enough how much Montreal would be your only choice (in all of North America at that).

Ubisoft has it's largest development studio there and I believe there are several other major gaming companies based or have similar setups there.

As far as learning french, I would say if you are a professional, it certainly helps, but it's not a do or die situation. Montreal is thoroughly bilingual and all the important industries there are mainly anglophone. French really comes into play in government services jobs, retail, etc.. Overall, in everyday dealings it's a good thing to have...

Do the reasearch on the city and it's artistic and cultural aspects and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Sep 11th 2010 at 6:28 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

appologies for late reply. work snowballed. appreciate response though, thanks very much.

our mortgage limit UK would be £210,000, if that helps? Although I'd very much like to be looking at £180,000/190,000

Decent areas would be green for walks, within easy drive (walk would be lovely) of food shops and some sort of meeting place e.g. cafe, restaurant etc, good schools.

We're now looking into Montreal too. Partner's very keen!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

appologies for late reply. work snowballed. appreciate response though, thanks very much.

our mortgage limit UK would be £210,000, if that helps? Although I'd very much like to be looking at £180,000/190,000

Decent areas would be green for walks, within easy drive (walk would be lovely) of food shops and some sort of meeting place e.g. cafe, restaurant etc, good schools.

We're now looking into Montreal too. Partner's very keen!
Hi, I stopped following this after Edmonton was crossed off your list, but you wont find ANYTHING close to downtown Vancouver for that price.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Hi, I stopped following this after Edmonton was crossed off your list, but you wont find ANYTHING close to downtown Vancouver for that price.
otoh, that's a fair slab of money in Montreal. This is an odd selection of locations though:

- bleak, cold, sterile, flat, are words reasonably applicable to the first two

- scenic, "laid back to last Wednesday", expensive, are descriptions I've heard of Vancouver

- exciting, cosmopolitan, crumbling, cold, are words for Montreal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.