British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/london-ontario-edmonton-alberta-london-surrey-uk-684418/)

darkin Sep 7th 2010 12:36 pm

London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

I know this is a completely subjective question.

I'm finding it hard to find a city description of London, Ontario or Edmonton, Alberta that doesn't have a ridiculous load of facts. As we're not sure which place we might end up in, I need to know about both.

I tried using the search function on here and the city guide, but neither helped me out.

So,

here are my priorities for a place to live: (obviously affordable housing, safe, etc.)

But specifically,

- I need lots of places to walk my dog, in relative peace and pretty area's.

- culture. Art museums, cafe's, theatre and dance.

- Artistic community

And for future, we need somewhere we could bring up kids too, so decent schools.

I suppose I'm having trouble picturing how the contrast between the countryside we get in Surrey, but also the ability to easily go to an art gallery etc relates to the huge spaces in Canada. How long, realistically, would I have to drive in London and Edmonton to get to each end of this spectrum?

Also, what sort of cost are we talking to buy a low end 3 bed house somewhere in between these two extremes, and somewhere safe too?

I would love to hear peoples opinions of these two places, based on these requirements. If you're in either of these two places, I'd love to speak to you.

Auld Yin Sep 7th 2010 1:53 pm

Re: London, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta from London and Surrey, UK

I don't think either London or Edmonton is going to meet your requirements particularly as it relates to culture, art museums etc. For culture, art museums, cafe's, theatre and dance, artistic community of any size you will need to look at Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver.
You are not going to get anything remotely resembling the Surrey countryside. You are not permitted in Canada to wander/hike over just anyone's land. I think the landscape around London is somewhat softer than that around Edmonton where it considerably more rugged.
You should plan/execute a reccie here to get some sense of what it's truly like.
No doubt there will be BEs along to dispute my comments.

Piff Poff Sep 7th 2010 2:01 pm

I agree with Auld Yin, especially on the art and culture side of things, there isn't too much of it in Alberta, there is some, but not lots.

As for walking, I can speak of my local area and I assume (perhaps wrongly) that most towns and cities will have similar facilities, we have lots and lots of walking trails in residential and wooded areas. You can however only let your dogs off leash at off leash parks and sometimes they are just a barren piece of land that can't be built on for whatever reason.

cheeky_monkey Sep 7th 2010 2:30 pm

Intersetingly i lived in London for 2 months when i first landed before ending up in Edmonton with my job.

Edmonton is more isolated than london but is twice the size..both are easy to get around when driving esp compared with British citites..neither are particularly blessed with cultural attractions Edmonton does have a big art centre in Churchill Sq though.

Edmonton does have lots of parks and cycle ways especially around the river with lots of walks and nature trails more so than London.

As for countryside Edmonton is in the prairies so fairly flat and uninspiring but you can reach the Rockies in 3 hours...London is close to the great lakes but again the surrounding to the city is flat and bland. They say London is the city of trees but i think there are far more trees in Edmonton.

I have 3 kids and the schools are decent if a little old "school" which isnt a bad thing.

I would say both are safe citites if you compare them with citites in the UK of a similar size...esp petty crime and vandalism.

If your looking for arts and culture that compares to the UK you will struggle in most cities in Canada.

Aviator Sep 7th 2010 2:57 pm

We came from Surrey UK and Canada is not even close to anywhere is the UK I am familiar with.

Countryside in the UK is often small farms and managed woodland, in Canada some in provincial and national parks or lots of wilderness. Other than in urban areas places to walk require driving to. Many places do not allow dogs off leash.

Auld Yin is pretty mush spot on. I would suggest don't even compare or try and replicate what you are leaving behind (if you truly want to immigrate).

The things you describe you are looking for do not really exist to the same extent in Canada as Europe. This is in my view part of Canada's appeal.

If you have not been here, it would be a really good idea to do so, you may be in for a really big culture shock otherwise.

Steve_P Sep 7th 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8831988)
We came from Surrey UK and Canada is not even close to anywhere is the UK I am familiar with.

Countryside in the UK is often small farms and managed woodland, in Canada some in provincial and national parks or lots of wilderness. Other than in urban areas places to walk require driving to. Many places do not allow dogs off leash.

Auld Yin is pretty mush spot on. I would suggest don't even compare or try and replicate what you are leaving behind (if you truly want to immigrate).

The things you describe you are looking for do not really exist to the same extent in Canada as Europe. This is in my view part of Canada's appeal.

If you have not been here, it would be a really good idea to do so, you may be in for a really big culture shock otherwise.

I would concur with all except Auld Yin's comment about the countryside around Edmonton.

I would hardly call it rugged. From a UK standpoint I would call it flat and boring.

el_richo Sep 7th 2010 3:25 pm

I think these pictures some it up :p

Edmonton
http://www.funinedmonton.com/wp-cont...f-edmonton.jpg

Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncountie...30_330x330.jpg

ireland2canada Sep 7th 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8832033)

Is that an Easter egg?

Steve_P Sep 7th 2010 3:32 pm

Nice try but the egg is not in Edmonton.:p

It's in Vegreville approximately 70 miles east of Edmonton.

Steve_P Sep 7th 2010 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8832040)
Is that an Easter egg?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegreville_egg

el_richo Sep 7th 2010 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada (Post 8832040)
Is that an Easter egg?

An egg or a suppository near an RV/Pykie park looking at the background.

el_richo Sep 7th 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 8832045)

Bloody Google :thumbdown:

ireland2canada Sep 7th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 8832046)

That's fantastic! Canada does random massive stuff so well. Commendable.

jericho Sep 7th 2010 4:22 pm

Or perhaps this one, which is actually Edmonton...
http://thundercloud.net/wallpaper/th...by-Dolphin.jpg

el_richo Sep 7th 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 8832133)
Or perhaps this one, which is actually Edmonton...
http://thundercloud.net/wallpaper/th...by-Dolphin.jpg

Mine was more poking fun at the art/architecture part :)

darkin Sep 7th 2010 6:30 pm

wow. thanks for all the replies. the consensus isn't great though, eh?

That other pic doesn't even cover how beautiful Surrey is. I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!

That last pic does look lovely though. I could definitely walk there every day. And happily. And there's got to be a few cute cafe's and a few arty folk, and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to be happy. But I get your point about not comparing here to there. If we get to the point of interviews and recce's, I'll keep an open mind.

What should I look forward to in these places in comparison?

darkin Sep 7th 2010 6:31 pm

BTW, if that egg's chocolate, I don't care where it is, I'm moving there!!!

el_richo Sep 7th 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8832376)
wow. thanks for all the replies. the consensus isn't great though, eh?

That other pic doesn't even cover how beautiful Surrey is. I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!

That last pic does look lovely though. I could definitely walk there every day. And happily. And there's got to be a few cute cafe's and a few arty folk, and I'm pretty sure that's all I need to be happy. But I get your point about not comparing here to there. If we get to the point of interviews and recce's, I'll keep an open mind.

What should I look forward to in these places in comparison?

Have you actually visited either place yet?

If not, as a few people have said, i would try to spend some time in each before the big heave-ho. Surrey has beautiful areas within and by visiting Edmonton and London it'll allow you to fine tune your expectations.

darkin Sep 7th 2010 6:44 pm

No, I've not been to Canada at all yet. We won't get to fly out and have a look until my partner gets interviews (crossing fingers that he does), and even then we won't get to go for very long. Talking about it all is helping me get my head around the fact that we will be moving though, and I think all your comments are really helping me understand what to expect when we get there. I'm sure the space of the place alone will put me into shock!

cheeky_monkey Sep 7th 2010 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8832376)
I'm completely serious about moving, but I do wish we didn't have to! Damned expensive country that the UK is!

why are you moving then?..if its just because you think the UK is expensive then dont bother...Canada isnt that much cheaper!

darkin Sep 7th 2010 6:55 pm

My partner is in the games industry, which is too specific to have that many opportunities. We've exhausted the possibilities in the UK. Canada supports its games industry really well, and there are lots of exciting companies out there.

ann m Sep 7th 2010 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8832384)
and by visiting Edmonton and London it'll allow you to fine tune your expectations.

:D very subtle phrasing :thumbup:

I'm ex-Surrey - I struggle with the landscape, architecture, lack of dog walking facilities.

Where I live is actually very pretty, with stunning views - and from May to end September, it's a green, gorgeous landscape.

By Nov/Dec, there is barely a scrap of greenery anywhere - and Surrey begins to look lush and tropical in comparison.

I don't know London, but Edmonton - no, not really ;)

christmasoompa Sep 7th 2010 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8831727)
I tried using the search function on here and the city guide, but neither helped me out.

Have you tried just searching the 'Canniversary' section? Hopefully there will be some relevant opinions there, I know there was a very long one about Edmonton recently.

:)

Tangram Sep 7th 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 8832045)

So it doesn't EVEN have an egg ? :rolleyes:

ExKiwilass Sep 7th 2010 9:08 pm

looked like a Ukrainian egg to me. Lots of them in Alberta.

Where those trails are aren't a lot of cafes, if any at all. Edmonton is very spread out and car-orientated. The best neighbourhood for arty is probably Old Strathcona but it's $$$ too

dbd33 Sep 8th 2010 12:28 am

I had an, er, extended meaningful relationship, with a woman of eastern European extraction who had done a PhD in London ON. Prior to that she'd been a professional classical musician. I've rarely heard a place described as scathingly as she did London ON. iirc correctly the major complaints were:

- there is a university but one which women attend solely to marry well

- there was one classical musician in the city

- I was the ethnic diversity, anyone not from Scotland would count but there was just me

- being Catholic is difficult there

- poverty is viewed as being the deserved scourge of the foreign

- it's flat.

I was left with the impression of a devout place, predominantly Presby and all the fun that entails.

I've since spoken at length with another person who has been to London ON, a poster here, and she's less kind about the place. All of this disinclines me to have a look.

I'm not one to lightly suggest that a person consider Edmonton, lord knows, one hears little in favour of Edmonton, is there no job in Sunderland or Canvey Island?

Novocastrian Sep 8th 2010 1:35 am

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8832424)
My partner is in the games industry, which is too specific to have that many opportunities. We've exhausted the possibilities in the UK. Canada supports its games industry really well, and there are lots of exciting companies out there.

Games industry? WTF is that?

Have you considered just dumping partner and staying in Surrey?

darkin Sep 8th 2010 7:40 am

Novocastrian - computer games. And if I could, I would- but we kind of come as a package! :)

Dbd33 - hahaha! That's a brilliant description of a place. Bleak, but hilarious.

Tangram - I know, right? Sounds like the nail in the coffin, eh?

Ann M - Thanks for that. That's a couple of Ex-Surrey-ers that have commented now with the same sort of a view. It is food for thought.

Kiwilass - Thanks. That's good to know, even if it's not the answer I had hoped for.

Christmasoompa - Ahh, ok. Great description on Canniversary. Very good call. Thanks. Sounds like I should be asking partner to check Vancouver and Toronto for companies instead! :rofl:

el_richo Sep 8th 2010 9:34 am

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8832424)

You may want to check out Vancouver for that industry.

darkin Sep 8th 2010 9:38 am

you read my mind. I've just spent an hour trawling the web. So, say he found something Vancouver or Toronto way, do you reckon this would satisfy my needs? Will probably re-post relevant questions for these areas.

el_richo Sep 8th 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8833529)
you read my mind. I've just spent an hour trawling the web. So, say he found something Vancouver or Toronto way, do you reckon this would satisfy my needs? Will probably re-post relevant questions for these areas.

For Vancouver, it depends where you would be living and it especially depends on your budget. It's still very different from the likes of Surrey and London, UK, for it's offerings along your requirements but as long as you set clear expectations from the start, you'll have no surprises. Dotted around many areas there are lots of nice cafes, trails for walking, and breathtaking scenery. In many areas there are definitely not.

You really should visit though to give you at least some expectations. Otherwise it could be an expensive trial.

Invest in a reccie so you see for yourself. Moreover, be realistic. Spending a few £'s on physical research could potentially save you much more £'s later on :)

darkin Sep 9th 2010 8:02 am

Thanks. You make an excellent point about expensive trials. We will definitely go for a recce as soon as we can... I think our focus might have changed slightly though.

Looking at the Canniversary section though (another good tip), it seems everyone is FAR more positive about Vancouver in terms of the art side of things. And it definitely seems as much of a possibility, company-wise also.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It's been much appreciated.

We need to kick this move into gear now!

Bleepedy Bloops Sep 9th 2010 11:28 am

Montreal would be my choice.

darkin Sep 9th 2010 11:36 am

Please do elaborate! I'm open to options! :D

I know there are a fair few purely english speakers, and many folk who speak both languages in some areas, but my french is very basic. Would this present problems for me more broadly? I'm actually really up for learning, but it'd be a while before I could have a conversation beyond, 'Ou est le gare?' In fact, I'm not even sure I've got the male/female right there!

Tim E Sep 9th 2010 2:24 pm

We moved from Cheam, Surrey to London approx 3 years ago and have been more than happy. I work downtown in London but live in in a little village just north.

I'm assuming if the OH is in the Games industry he's applying to Digital Extremes or Big Blue Bubble. I've heard both are very good but difficult to get into.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more info

Tim

mandymoochops Sep 9th 2010 3:00 pm

If you want arty farty you should move to Nelson, BC.

Learn to smoke funny things though.

dboy Sep 9th 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by darkin (Post 8833529)

I'm with El Richo - Vancouver has a flourishing gaming industry. On the other fronts, the country side is very accessible here, tons of options for dog walking. I live on the North Shore and the outdoors is virtually at the back door. The city is the most walkable of any I've been to.

Culture and the arts is definately there but is probably comparable to a similar sized Northern UK city rather than London. It's certainly not what defines the place.

On the downside it's very expensive here, especially where housing is concerned. It also rains a lot in the winter. I'd say the climate is similar to the UK but with typically more dependable summers.

I like the Vancouver Biennale which has gained momentum over the years:

http://www.vancouverbiennale.com/

There are a number of galleries - check out South Granville which is known as art gallery row.

http://www.southgranville.org/south_...llery_row.html

The Vancouver Art Gallery is in the process of having a purpose built gallery and the Museam of Vancouver is hoping to move to the former Art Gallery. Although with an emphasis on native art, check out the Museam of Anthropolgy and the Bill Reid exhibit.

For arts and crafts and performing arts, check out Granville Island.

There are also a number of smaller indpendent theatres dotted around the city (the cultch, Stanley Alliance, etc) in addition to a couple run by the city (Queen Elizabeth and Vancouver Playhouse). opera can be found at the Queen E and the Vancouver Orchestra plays out of the Orpheum on Granville.

vancouer fringe festival is about to start:

http://www.vancouverfringe.com/

As you can see lots of options, but you have to know where to go and make an effort, not like London where it's on every corner. Most of the venues are out of the core.

darkin Sep 10th 2010 2:02 pm

Tim E. thanks for your help. Have PM'ed you.

Mandymoochops- Excellent name btw! Will look into companies in Nelson. Thanks for the pointer. Looks very small (not necessarily a bad thing though) and very green on the map (gets huge brownie points if that's the case).

Dboy- brilliant post. Really useful. Thanks so much. Am checking out all those links now.

re: housing. Are there any pockets of REASONABLY affordable houses in decent areas? I like what you said about having the outdoors on your door step. can you still get to shops etc within ok driving distance?

dboy Sep 10th 2010 5:27 pm

Also forgot to mention Bard on the Beach, which is Shakesphere on the beach at Vanier park. Been there every summer as long as i can recall.

http://www.bardonthebeach.org/

Also Circ Du Soleil come reguluarly (which was amazing).

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/sho...vancouver.aspx

There is also the Centre which was supposed to bring all the main headline shows but was a bit of flop due in part to poor planning.

http://www.centreinvancouver.com/

the city is wanting to build a new theatre and create a cultural precint around teh area where the centre, queen e, playhouse and library are. this bodes well with the art gallery wanting to build into the area.

I always felt vancouver gets a bad rap for limited arts, i suspect that it's because it so spread out across the city. Granville Island has 5 or 6 small theatres.

need any more info, drop me a pm.

el_richo Sep 10th 2010 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8839533)
Also forgot to mention Bard on the Beach, which is Shakesphere on the beach at Vanier park. Been there every summer as long as i can recall.

http://www.bardonthebeach.org/

Also Circ Du Soleil come reguluarly (which was amazing).

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/sho...vancouver.aspx

There is also the Centre which was supposed to bring all the main headline shows but was a bit of flop due in part to poor planning.

need any more info, drop me a pm.

I enjoy Bard on the Beach but the chairs are bloody uncomfortable.