Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

London Ontario advice please

London Ontario advice please

Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice
Default London Ontario advice please

Hi, we will be moving to London Ontario in the near future as I will be taking a nurse bridging course at Fanshawe college.

Our question is - which area is the best for two children aged 5 and 12? We will be renting and the majority seems to be student rentals which we are not so keen on.

If anyone can advise on the areas we should be looking at that would be great our budget can go up to around 2500 CAD per month. We have been to PEI for six months and found that way too quiet, so are looking forward to staying in city again.

Thanks to anyone who can help
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Ontario advice please

http://immigration.london.ca/default.htm

tHIS MAY HELP A BIT??
I live 5 minutes drive from Fanshawe College. The immediate area is student populated but 10 minutes away is not normally.
You can rent a lovely house for that kind of cash!!!

i have lived here since 1990 when I immigrated to london.
PM me for more info if you like.

All the best, Simon.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you can rent a lot for that kind of budget. Am I allowed to recommend a local mum's forum in London on here? You'd get a lot of good advice there, and people can tell you their experiences of schools etc. Or pm me
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SimonB1964
http://immigration.london.ca/default.htm

tHIS MAY HELP A BIT??
I live 5 minutes drive from Fanshawe College. The immediate area is student populated but 10 minutes away is not normally.
You can rent a lovely house for that kind of cash!!!

i have lived here since 1990 when I immigrated to london.
PM me for more info if you like.

All the best, Simon.
Hi, have been looking at houses and we like the look of Western Crossing? It a group of townhouse just on the other side of UWO, do you know anything about that area?

Although we are not going back until next year we are trying to start looking as we will to arrange to rent before we have viewed so any advice would be most welcome
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zippy666
Hi, have been looking at houses and we like the look of Western Crossing? It a group of townhouse just on the other side of UWO, do you know anything about that area?

Although we are not going back until next year we are trying to start looking as we will to arrange to rent before we have viewed so any advice would be most welcome
Sorry, really rude of us - thank you for the info so far
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks very student orientated to me..............I wouldn't but that's just me!! I have 5 students living next to me now and they are a pain in the arse!!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonB1964
Looks very student orientated to me..............I wouldn't but that's just me!! I have 5 students living next to me now and they are a pain in the arse!!
Students the world over are a pain in the arse, although perhaps more so at Fanshawe and Western than the norm.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Ok, we def get the idea not to be near the students!

Can anyone recommend any nice non student areas of London, or the outer towns like St Thomas? We ideally need to be close to a good elementary and junior high school.

Many thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We're in St Thomas and prefer it to London, but it's all personal choice really. Here there are just elementary and high schools, no junior high, but they have spent a lot of money recently closing all of the tiny schools and making a couple of much bigger ones.

Like I said before, I can give you details of a local mum forum where they can happily answer questions about schools/areas. The majority of them live in London, with a few in St T.

As for student/non-student areas, a lot of areas have their own problems. For the level of rent you are looking at, you will not likely be in those areas.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

jumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!we are new to this,but we are looking to move to london,we are a family of four.12 year old boy and an 8 year old girl,any advice on schools,areas to live or anything really would be much apreciated.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jumomo
Hi all!we are new to this,but we are looking to move to london,we are a family of four.12 year old boy and an 8 year old girl,any advice on schools,areas to live or anything really would be much apreciated.
Hi, when are you planning your move for? We are going next September (2013), we have already landed and been in PEI for 6 months.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

jumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond reputejumomo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!we are hoping for June /July of next year!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jumomo
Hi!we are hoping for June /July of next year!
Hi, can we ask why you are choosing London? We learnt the hard way PEI was not geared for new immigrants despite having a large number of them!
We too are hoping for advice on areas of London to live at the moment it seems North and west. We have also been looking at the smaller Towns near by like St Thomas and Woodstock.
FYI our children will be 12 and 5 when we go back - we cannot wait, we thought we missed Britiain but being back has really brought home how good it is in Canada!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We arrived in London about 3 weeks ago. We did a recce last year and loved the feel of the city. Size wise it is great, not too big, but not too small. Seems to be lots to do and lots of parks. We have 3 girls - 5, 6 and 16.

We were told to try to stick to the north and west of London. We looked into schools while still in uk and we eventually whittled it down to 3 senior schools and about 6 primary - we wanted full time KG for our youngest which was why it was so minimal. They are very strict with catchment areas for schools, something to be mindful of when looking at houses.

We managed to find a rental on kijiji, although was a bit difficult with neither of us working as yet, but we managed to sort it out with the owners. The girls are all registered at schools and start on Tuesday. Everyone has been really helpful and friendly.

If you need somewhere furnished for a short time when yo get here, let me know as we are in a monthly furnished rental apartment which has been great while we wait to get our furniture sorted out and a house.

We have friends we met through here who settled in London 5 years ago, and they have been brilliant with information and moral support while setting up and planning everything, so,if we can help,in any way, let me know.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 8:19 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, we def get the idea not to be near the students!

Can anyone recommend any nice non student areas of London, or the outer towns like St Thomas? We ideally need to be close to a good elementary and junior high school.

Many thanks
http://ontario.compareschoolrankings...tBy=SchoolCity

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Aug 30th 2012 at 8:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.