Reload this Page >

London, Ontario

London, Ontario

Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Matt_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London, Ontario

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any expats here living / previously occupying London, Ontario?

I am thinking on taking up Post-Graduate Study at the University of Western Ontario and would appreciate any information from people on what its like. Feel free to message me or subscribe to this thread.

Your help is much appreciated,

Matt
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:25 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London, Ontario

The people are friendly, and overall it's a nice small city to live in. Western has a reputation as a well regarded institution of medical research, but you probably already know that...

Winters can be very snowy, and even when cold, the air is more of a dry cold and is bearable. Summers can be hot, but hardly any smog at all, and the air is fresh because of it's location amongst surrounding farmland.

There isn't much in the way of night life however, downtown is a kind of eyesore, and except for a few bars, you're more likely to spend time hanging out and partying with your new friends than anything else. London has that kind of reputation, kind of a people/party/drinkie (and dopey)/happy kind of place.

Driving in the city is a breeze, there's a new rink for the local hockey team as well as a public open ice rink next to it if you're so inclined.

Oh yeah, and the covent garden market is something worth checking out too if you're into fresh breads, cheeses, deli meats, chocolates, pastry, and gifts.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Jan 21st 2010 at 8:29 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:34 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

You know they call the Thames the Thames there and not the Isis? These things matter when you are coming from Oxford...
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Matt_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info bleep. I spent a year in Thunder Bay Ontario and worked in Mineral Exploration in N. Ontario so I faired my first canadian winter fairly well... thanks to the help of a canada goose parka!

As for the Thames lmartin, its still the Thames... just the Thames-Isis to us Not that it matters as soon as I cross the pond again, then it will be back to 'do you live near london' and 'are you Australian'
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:09 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Thames River, not River Thames. Don't eat the fish.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:59 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
Thames River, not River Thames. Don't eat the fish.
I didn't know about the difference in name order. At least it's not the Cam!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The interesting thing about London ON is that it gets more thunder storms in summer than anywhere else in Canada. I could bore you for hours with an explanation of why this happens, but I'll resist the temptation.

Monsieur Martin, check your PMs. A-OK on your suggestion.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt_Geo
As for the Thames lmartin, its still the Thames... just the Thames-Isis to us
Thames-Isis-Cherwell, shirley?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;8271178]. I could bore you for hours with an explanation of why this happens, but I'll resist the temptation.

Too late.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:26 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The interesting thing about London ON is that it gets more thunder storms in summer than anywhere else in Canada. I could bore you for hours with an explanation of why this happens, but I'll resist the temptation.

Monsieur Martin, check your PMs. A-OK on your suggestion.
Well it IS the official thunderstorm capital of Canada after all.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:04 pm
Born again atheist

[QUOTE=How long;8271942]
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
. I could bore you for hours with an explanation of why this happens, but I'll resist the temptation.

Too late.
How long did it take you to read that How long?