Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Log Built Homes

Log Built Homes

Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:42 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Log Built Homes

I love log houses. We seriously considered it but for 2 issues:

They are about 20-30% more expensive than a traditional house of equivalent size. In practice what this means (given that everyone is working to a maximum budget) is that you end up with a substantially smaller house for the same money. In other words you forgoe a bedroom, a bathroom and possibly that second sitting room.

They need a fair bit of maintenance - stain or oil or something (cant remember exactly what) applying to the logs inside and out quite regularly as I recall. Actually seemed like a bit of a hassle really.

BUT - I do still love them! Perhaps when our kids move out and we dont need as much space.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

alyxsylvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Log Built Homes

Originally Posted by Erinbrooke

In relation to the other thread we have started, we are considering buying land and constructin our own traditionally built log home.

Has anyone done this and if so could you reccommend a Nova Scotia company to supply and construct the log kit?

we have loked at a few but most seem to be over in BC.

regards,

erinbrooke.
You can do this and you can do some or most of the work yourself. These are available in modern log design in kits or built by Contractor/Dealers they tend to cost about 20% more than other construction methods. And are well suited to rural or vacation areas and not usually seen in large cities with a few exceptions.
Here is a website for you to peruse. You can find out everything from cost, to permits, to dealer locations, and photos of different styles.

http://www.confederationloghomes.com/

I have built several of these modern log homes and they really have none of the old problems aluded to e.g. dirt floors. These are modern fantastic examples of great engineering.