Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Location, Location ??

Location, Location ??

Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Location, Location ??

Trying to make a move from UK to Ontario. Would like to go south. As were village folk - large city life has no appeal. Bad traffic here drives us crazy. Any suggestions on nice places to settle, I have two kids aged 8 and 10 and also have to think about my two dogs (Akita and Alaskan Mal). As a family we all enjoy walks and the outdoors. Is there any places to avoid (i.e. bad reputation).

Appreciate any advice!! Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:45 am
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been to Ontario a few times now and we love the SW area, London / St Thomas / Grand Bend. Really nice area, good climate, cheap housing, cheap food, nice people, well positioned.

Lots of nice farmland, quiet back roads for dog walking, and there are the lakes.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Where abouts is Glossop?. We currently live in small village about 15 miles from Bath. Do you visit Canada regularly? I have relatives in St Johns, Newfoundland - so this is the only part of Canada I have explored. These places you say are nice, are they cities? My partner is a linesman and a colleague of his has just moved out to Ontario although I don't know which part. It is easier for him because he is single and had no ties.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 4:03 pm
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alison33
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Where abouts is Glossop?.
Glossop is a small town in Derbyshire, its on the outskirts of Manchester. If you are familiar with the TV programe 'The League of Gentlemen', its filmed here.

We have visited Canada 3x now, 2x to SW Ontario (the place I mentioned) and 1x to Edmonton, Alberta. We have relatives in both places and so got the 'local' tour when we were there.

We did prefer Ontatio to Alberta, while Alberta has the Rockies, anywhere else outside of that we thought wasn't very inspiring. While Ontario we thought was a lot prettier, the climate was better and wasn't far over the border to the States if you were that way inclined.

London is the only 'City', I guess similar in size to say Bristol, but maybe not as densly populated. We liked it, it seemed a nice enough place. St Thomas, Port Stanley, Aylmer etc are all towns and while not very inspiring were nice enough. We wouldn't complain living there I guess. London was big enough and if we wanted big city stuff, you have Detroit one way and Toronto the other, both about 2 hours away.