Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Vancouver and finding it hard !

Living in Vancouver and finding it hard !

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:21 am
Just Joined

BCollins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Vancouver and finding it hard !

I just came back from BC in November and I was living on Vancouver Island on a BUNAC visa. Hope to get my visa processed soon to come back.
I found it quite hard to make friends too, the people are very different from people in the uk and I guess it takes time is all.
Try moving somewhere more chilled, Vancouver Island is amazing place to be.
I found the wages low too, but swayed by the low prices compared to the UK.
If you can stand not being near Vancouver try something new!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BCollins
I just came back from BC in November and I was living on Vancouver Island on a BUNAC visa. Hope to get my visa processed soon to come back.
I found it quite hard to make friends too, the people are very different from people in the uk and I guess it takes time is all.
Try moving somewhere more chilled, Vancouver Island is amazing place to be.
I found the wages low too, but swayed by the low prices compared to the UK.
If you can stand not being near Vancouver try something new!
What did you do whilst you were over there if you don't mind me asking?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

I worked doing in an IT position in Victoria first some auditing then as a BSA as they had to give me a title. There was lots of work around at the end of 2008 and there still is now. Victoria has been little affected by the Economic climate. The money you get goes along way in Canada.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I worked doing in an IT position in Victoria first some auditing then as a BSA as they had to give me a title. There was lots of work around at the end of 2008 and there still is now. Victoria has been little affected by the Economic climate. The money you get goes along way in Canada.
Did you not try to obtain PNP or Skilled Worker status whilst you were there then?

I'm only asking as I'm planning to do a similar thing myself quite soon.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

It is definitely a possibility to do both. I tried the PNP but my work did not play ball. Saying that I did not have a strong background in the work they do. Also didn't qualify for the skilled worker route. If you are doing a job that is needed or can get nominated it will be easy enough. It is definitely worth it though. If I could be in BC tomorrow i'd go in a heartbeat!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:57 am
Sidecar Falcon

It is definitely a possibility to do both. I tried the PNP but my work did not play ball. Saying that I did not have a strong background in the work they do. Also didn't qualify for the skilled worker route. If you are doing a job that is needed or can get nominated it will be easy enough. It is definitely worth it though. If I could be in BC tomorrow i'd go in a heartbeat!
Were you contracting over there or in a permanent job?

I know that when I was looking for work in the UK in 2008 it was nearly all contracting roles that were being offered and I ended taking one that lasted up until the end of last year. When I started looking again, it had changed to almost 70-80% permanent roles which were being offered and not many contracting positions seemed to be on the market so things seem to have shifted slightly over here at least.

I've been working as a 2nd line support engineer and systems admin and now I'm in a permanent job doing SQL support and DB admin (which I don't much enjoy at all if I'm honest) so I think I would be categorised in at least section B of the NOC but I'm not too sure what my options would be in Canada. You would think that if there was a lot of demand and that you were doing a good job there then they would probably try to keep you on, it's a shame that it didn't work out for you though mate, you must have been gutted.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:07 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I hope you didnt include Jack Lonsdale's in that
No, my mate told me not to bother and had not looked very appealing from outside.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:11 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Funny, i really liked the NS. I found it a bit quiet when i first moved over in 98, but then again, Vancouver's nightlife was really poor right across the city back then. Only time is got on my nerves was during the bus strike. Queuing to get over the bridge from Capilano/Highway 1 was very tiresome. Like Del said, there are some nice pubs, Queens is ok, Rusty Gull and Sailor Hagar has lovely micro beer. Ooh how i miss the sushi at Hachi Hana. Always enjoyed a stroll up Lonsdale on a hot summers night. Seeing the sun shining on the Lions peaks always made me smile.
Pretty much sums it up for me. I just tried Hachi last week, as good as anywhere i used to frequent in vancouver - sushi is def one thing we have over the uK

Vancouver's night life has improved and with the recently extended hours will probably get better, not that it really affect me anyway.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

CANZUK is an unknown quantity at this point

MOVE CLOSER TO THE CITY!! there are good jobs for BUNAC /SWAP people and alot of socials going on with Brits, Aussies etc..
start living like you're a traveler again and meet like minded people. you can always visit your girlfriend if she's only in Delta.