Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living in Ottawa? What's it like???

Living in Ottawa? What's it like???

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:55 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Ottawa? What's it like???

Originally Posted by Keith
We love it in Ottawa. Visited just about everywhere in Canada over the last 48 years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Great location to see, what I think is the most interesting part of North America.

As to the seaside, We took our Summer vacations with the kids in Maine, an 8 hour drive.

Never had a problem with the French requirement because I worked in the private sector. Worked for 4 high tech companites.

Been retired 20 years and spend Jan/Feb in Florida.
wow, must have missed the sights when I was there. Most interesting part of North America????
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Is that code for "boring as sh*t"?

I've been to Ottawa quite a few times and, while it's a nice enough city, I found it to be a bit dull. I'm sure there's nightlife somewhere but it just didn't seem to be as easy to find as it is in some other cities.

I haven't been there in the worst of the winter. However, I've been to Carleton University and walked the elaborate underground tunnel system they have there so that students and staff don't have to be outside to deal with the "brutal winters" (their words not mine).

I know people who live in Ottawa and really like it. Apparently it's a great place to raise kids.
Born and bred in Ottawa, lived here ever since:

I would agree w/ previous posters, "magical" Ottawa is not.

Perhaps a bit dull.
Extreme climate. Too warm and too cold for me.
Winter is not enjoyable. Everybody says 'ski' or 'snowshoe' but I am not buying this advice (40 Ottawa winters behind me)
Mosquitoes can be a problem (don't laugh until you've experienced it)
Bilingualism can limit job opportunities (public sector especially)

My spouse last lived in Maidenhead and longs to go back.

I think it's a decent city to do five years in -- however I struggle with thinking that I will never live anywhere else.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

Other areas that are nice are Chelsea, Cantley and Wakefield QC.

Hope that helps
Agree completely!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Born and bred in Ottawa, lived here ever since:

I would agree w/ previous posters, "magical" Ottawa is not.

Perhaps a bit dull.
Extreme climate. Too warm and too cold for me.
Winter is not enjoyable. Everybody says 'ski' or 'snowshoe' but I am not buying this advice (40 Ottawa winters behind me)
Mosquitoes can be a problem (don't laugh until you've experienced it)

My spouse last lived in Maidenhead and longs to go back.

I think it's a decent city to do five years in -- however I struggle with thinking that I will never live anywhere else.
Agree on the mosquitoes bit - they're huge this year and there's millions of 'em!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:51 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Unless you learn French, yes.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:16 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Agree on the mosquitoes bit - they're huge this year and there's millions of 'em!
Not too bad for mozzies up here but the Japanese beetles are a nightmare.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:01 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not too bad for mozzies up here but the Japanese beetles are a nightmare.
Are they the little green oval-shaped things that rapidly eat your plants?

A swarm of things looking like that ate one of my rose bushes last year.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:28 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Are they the little green oval-shaped things that rapidly eat your plants?

A swarm of things looking like that ate one of my rose bushes last year.
That's the ones. Their larvae are even worse. They eat the roots of grass. The lawns around here will be wrecked come Spring.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Just been camping in Coles Creek State Park ,NY. And honestly the mozzies there were by far worse than the ones here. Within a min of parking the car it was covered in bugs.
But yes they are worse this year than last, guess the masses of rain in April/May and now the long heat period contribute to that.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Just been camping in Coles Creek State Park ,NY. And honestly the mozzies there were by far worse than the ones here. Within a min of parking the car it was covered in bugs.
But yes they are worse this year than last, guess the masses of rain in April/May and now the long heat period contribute to that.

I live in the boonies in the far west of Ottawa ... trust me, they're bad!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:12 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the boonies in the far west of Ottawa ... trust me, they're bad!
Where is that, carp?
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Where is that, carp?
Officially Kinburn, but not in the village - off Panmure Rd.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:52 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Ah....you are right, that is the boonies ain't it?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

How is Kinburn? It's close to Pakenham isn't it? My friend lives in Braeside and we are looking at moving out in the countryside next year. Just have to find a place to go, which is in commuting distance to Ottawa. I love Braeside but it's too far out. Houses in Kinburn seem to be cheap and I like Richmond as the commute is not as long. Was just wondering what your experience is.

Cheers
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
How is Kinburn? It's close to Pakenham isn't it? My friend lives in Braeside and we are looking at moving out in the countryside next year. Just have to find a place to go, which is in commuting distance to Ottawa. I love Braeside but it's too far out. Houses in Kinburn seem to be cheap and I like Richmond as the commute is not as long. Was just wondering what your experience is.

Cheers
I love Kinburn as (for me) it's within easy commuting distance for work (in the west end). Hubbie drives to the park'n'ride at Eagleson and takes the bus to work in Gatineau, total journey time 45 minutes. There's nothing out there, so everything involves a car journey and kids of a certain age need to be ferried everywhere. House prices range upwards from mid-$200K for an older property that will likely need significant renos to around $1-2M ... the neighbour's place is up for sale at the mo, yours for a mere $1.3M!
Richmond is nice, but there's a lot of development going on at the moment - there's not a lot there, but it's an easy distance to Kanata or Barrhaven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.