British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/living-ontario-dont-bother-wish-i-hadnt-407028/)

Rich_007 Nov 11th 2006 10:59 pm

Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by kt0157
Utter and complete rubbish. I'm sick of hearing this from people who have room temperature IQs. Give it a rest.

Not strictly correct...before I left (Y)UK I saw with mine very own eyes photocopies of cheques from DSS for immigrants to buy cars, one was 650 GBP another 860 GBP. Now I assume this isn't gonna buy a luxury vehicle but nontheless while old folks can barely afford a tin of peas on pension, many are afraid of the dark (bogeyman chav syndrome) why the hell should there leather-jacketed cell phone holding peeps get a free car ?

Guys I used to drink with have worked all their lives, used to earn good money back in the day as honest everyday workers, now barely scrape by trying to keep heads above water for them and family. This is justeveryday life for the working poor, it's what it is, I'm not analyzing it to death, but you dare tell me that Tony B.Liars "free cheap rusty Lada cars for immigrants" program makes sense ?

Y(UK) has some serious issues and there are many good reasons why Johnny Brit is extremely angry and there is such a high level of social/racial tensions. It's not all the fault of the Daily Mail.

Rich.

Rich_007 Nov 11th 2006 11:06 pm

Oh you poor deluded person. You think that Canada doesn't have its share of useless lazy incompetent people? There are millions of them.

Indeed true and many will be smug introverted cradle to grave Canadians.
The arrival of a hard working motivated immigrant is heralded by fear and paranoia, locals know the immigrant is likely to appreciate what they have around them far more then Bubba, Raj, Chang or Johnny Immigrant will be moptoivated to impress and show what they can do. Bubba wilk be far more likely to want to just melt into the blandness, apathy, and incompetence that is Corporate Canada Inc.

There's reason for Canada being less workplace-competitive than US/United States of Europa. There are EI loafers, tax fiddling dossers, welfare moms, workshy party monster drug dealers, conmen, vagabonds, tramps, and scallawags aplenty in Canada, not to mention incompetent inept managers/executives and lazy workshy worker bees. It's just life, innit.

Rich.

kt0157 Nov 11th 2006 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Not strictly correct...before I left (Y)UK I saw with mine very own eyes photocopies of cheques from DSS for immigrants to buy cars, one was 650 GBP another 860 GBP. Now I assume this isn't gonna buy a luxury vehicle but nontheless while old folks can barely afford a tin of peas on pension, many are afraid of the dark (bogeyman chav syndrome) why the hell should there leather-jacketed cell phone holding peeps get a free car ?

It is a lie put about by the BNP and their insidious friends in the media that "immigrants" are somehow entitled to more than "white people". Firstly, workers from the new EU accession countries aren't entitled to benefits. They work for their money. Harder than chavs. Secondly, benefits are allocated on a need basis, not on a "I'm white, I should get more" basis.

You saw a cheque. Did you know the circumstances under which it was issued? If someone escapes torture in some African country, and arrives in this country with nothing, do you think they should be dumped in the gutter with nothing?

Guys I used to drink with have worked all their lives, used to earn good money back in the day as honest everyday workers, now barely scrape by trying to keep heads above water for them and family.
And how much did they spend on drinking with you? I have a very hard time being sympathetic with people who can't keep their heads above water who smoke, go on foreign holidays, and drink in pubs every night. A debt-fueled lifestyle that eventually comes to an end is somehow the fault of immigrants?

Y(UK) has some serious issues and there are many good reasons why Johnny Brit is extremely angry and there is such a high level of social/racial tensions. It's not all the fault of the Daily Mail.
It is the fault of Johnny Brit. You can't spend more than you earn and you can't expect a free ride forever. Johnny Brit expects to do both.

K.

dbd33 Nov 11th 2006 11:13 pm

There's reason for Canada being less workplace-competitive than US/United States of Europa. There are EI loafers, tax fiddling dossers, welfare moms, workshy party monster drug dealers, conmen, vagabonds, tramps, and scallawags aplenty in Canada, not to mention incompetent inept managers/executives and lazy workshy worker bees. It's just life, innit.

Rich.

Gypsies, tramps and thieves? I heard that from the people of the town.

Rich_007 Nov 11th 2006 11:16 pm

You saw a cheque. Did you know the circumstances under which it was issued? If someone escapes torture in some African country, and arrives in this country with nothing, do you think they should be dumped in the gutter with nothing?

No I'm hardly a beastly inhuman robot, but I don't expect then or any other insiduous dosser white black yellow or green skin to get a free car. That's sheer insanity. Or should we buy them a hot tub and a new bicycle and a set of platinum golf clubs and a membership to a gym and a season tickets for the Tottingham ?

And how much did they spend on drinking with you? I have a very hard time being sympathetic with people who can't keep their heads above water who smoke, go on foreign holidays, and drink in pubs every night. A debt-fueled lifestyle that eventually comes to an end is somehow the fault of immigrants?

Oh, they spent plenty, we admittedly drank like absolute beasts, but no, what I'm saying is that 10 years ago a working person/couple could have some kind of life, now it's much harder for 'Johnny Normal" to have something resembling a life. And it's just the same in Canada and the US, comparative wages over 5-10 years result in less, not more, affordability for the average working Joe Schmoe. Western nations are getting poorer. I'm not blaming immigrants for that am I ? I'm blaming governments who have programs to give rusty cars away to immigrants and the resulting social tensions such programs create, turning maybe a few incidents of sloppy DSS case management into an urban myth/immigrant as bogey man culture

Rich.

Rich_007 Nov 11th 2006 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33

Well there's none of the former here in K-Town but plenty of the rest.
Today I saw for the first time ever a genuine Rastafari and a couple of wooly Himalayan-hatted trustafarians with upper class NA accents. They must have been trustafarians, they dined at I-HOP. I was as shocked as when I first set eyes on the one black chappie here. But he was American so it didn't count.

Rich.

kt0157 Nov 11th 2006 11:29 pm

No I'm hardly a beastly inhuman robot, but I don't expect then or any other insiduous dosser white black yellow or green skin to get a free car. That's sheer insanity. Or should we buy them a hot tub and a new bicycle and a set of platinum golf clubs and a membership to a gym and a season tickets for the Tottingham ?

Well I don't know about why cars are being bought. It must be something to do with help up into getting work. Perhaps starting a new life as a platinum golf club polisher? ;)

Oh, they spent plenty, we admittedly drank like absolute beasts, but no, what I'm saying is that 10 years ago a working person/couple could have some kind of life, now it's much harder for 'Johnny Normal" to have something resembling a life. And it's just the same in Canada and the US, comparative wages over 5-10 years result in less, not more, affordability for the average working Joe Schmoe.
We are richer in stuff (TV, DVD players, cars, etc. are so much cheaper than they used to be), but poorer in services (the cost of a meal in a restaurant, night in a hotel, train tickets). That's because a lot of inflation has been hidden by China being a giant 3D photocopying machine.

Western nations are getting poorer. I'm not blaming immigrants for that am I ?
Globalisation. It's a bitch if you're a poor Westerner. Still, I get a cheaper pair of trainers, don't I? :rolleyes:

I'm blaming governments who have programs to give rusty cars away to immigrants
Having seen various Top Gear challenges, I don't see why a rusty old car should cost £600. Jeremy Clarkson got a knackered old Volvo for £1.

and the resulting social tensions such programs create, turning maybe a few incidents of sloppy DSS case management into an urban myth/immigrant as bogey man culture
Now that is the heart of it. The Government is spineless in countering these myths (just look at how fast Blair ran from the Portsmouth anti-pedo mobs dishing out Council Estate Justice).

It's a slow motion train wreck, and innocent people are going to get hurt.

K.

dbd33 Nov 12th 2006 1:18 am

Or should we buy them a hot tub and a new bicycle and a set of platinum golf clubs and a membership to a gym and a season tickets for the Tottingham.

If this is a reference to the Spurs then I'd just like to say that

My Old Man said be a Tottenham Fan.

buzz365 Nov 12th 2006 1:26 am

Guys I used to drink with have worked all their lives, used to earn good money back in the day as honest everyday workers, now barely scrape by trying to keep heads above water for them and family. This is justeveryday life for the working poor, it's what it is, I'm not analyzing it to death, but you dare tell me that Tony B.Liars "free cheap rusty Lada cars for immigrants" program makes sense ?

Rich.

Free car what a load of old rubbish.........ive heard this old chestnut before and it never held water then. Please define who Johnny Bit is because as far as i can see he has never existed!

Sarahad Nov 12th 2006 7:53 am

Utter and complete rubbish. I'm sick of hearing this from people who have room temperature IQs. Give it a rest.

My father in law was selling an older BMW last year for just over £3000 and 4 guys turned up to look at it, they said they wanted it and handed him a giro cheque. Father in law thought it was something dodgy and would not accept it. They advised him to call the number on the back to confirm. He called it and was told that this was correct and they are given money to get a car as are too scared to use public transport, he was to just get them to write the amount for the car on the cheque and he would get the money?????
Oh well my father in law must have been lying about it and this must not be true as you obviously know all about this???? :confused:

And why are the polish plumbers taking all the jobs? Because they work harder than the feckless Brits, who seem to think that they have some God-given right to money simply because they are born in the UK.

I wasnt aware that we only brought polish plumbers over?! as far as I can see they come over to do many jobs! And i am not sure of the kind of people you associate yourself with, but most of the people I know are hard working and just want to make a decent living for their families. I am not against them coming over but we should have something like an LMO were the wages are at least fair and competative so attractive to brits also.... then at least they get the job because they can do it not just because they will accept a lower wage... and would this not be of benefit to the polish getting paid more??

Oh you poor deluded person. You think that Canada doesn't have its share of useless lazy incompetent people? There are millions of them.

[COLOR=Magenta][I] I am sure there is and I can assure you I am not deluded.
Thank you for your interesting comments. ;)

K.[/QUOTE]

steve666 Nov 12th 2006 8:39 am

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
This root canal that you're all talking about ..... can I skate on it in winter?

No, only senior members can do that. And you have to be able to make yourself as small as a Nano Bot. And only in Alberta (tax regulations).

steve666 Nov 12th 2006 8:41 am

Lots of shoes in that movie. Not great shoes though; more padded than heeled and no feet in them.

Did they have heeled shoes in the 18th Century? I know the horses did, do you do horses feet too?

steve666 Nov 12th 2006 8:44 am

^^^ Like what he said but louder and with more additood. :mad:

Rich.

HEY! That's getting personal! Canadians talk funny, I saw a Canadian movie once, so I know!

kt0157 Nov 12th 2006 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Oh well my father in law must have been lying about it and this must not be true as you obviously know all about this???? :confused

My mistake. You were told by your Dad that he heard on the phone from someone who said that they'd been told the policy was free cars. Isn't it good we now allow hearsay evidence in court in terrorist trials?

I am not against them coming over but we should have something like an LMO were the wages are at least fair and competative so attractive to brits also.... then at least they get the job because they can do it not just because they will accept a lower wage
Translation into English: "I think some Government regulator should stop people coming in so that wages are higher here and I can get more money for doing less."

Translation into economics: "I think that costs of hiring someone in the UK should be high so that all the jobs move to India"

Anyway, you can't have an LMO regime even if you wanted one. The UK is in a single trading zone with the rest of the EU, and that means free movement of goods, capital and labour across the union.

Canada, on the other hand, is in NAFTA, which doesn't permit free movement of goods (all those customs people at the border ready to pounce with GST and PST demands on people who got their cars repaired in the US) and doesn't permit free movement of labour.

K.

steve666 Nov 12th 2006 8:48 am

Somewhat true, BUT, every night all the men would come around
and lay their money down.