British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/living-ontario-dont-bother-wish-i-hadnt-407028/)

steve666 Nov 10th 2006 11:09 am

Re: Living in Ontario ! Don't bother ... wish I hadn't

Originally Posted by Bleech
I used to have an English sheep dog called Bisto, can I get one here? Can I f**k! All I can get is damn Hukies! Some expats tried to throw me in the lake to see if I really was a witch, typical Siberia, the lake had turned to ice and I broke my broom, cost me 2 seals to get a new one from Iglo Deeepot. Siberia Sucks.

And I really get p$%^ed off with those woolly mammoths in ice, crashed into 3 the other day, don't get them in England!
Aaaaahhh... Bisto....

Purley Nov 10th 2006 2:51 pm

As everyone has pointed out, she has most of her information wrong.

CPP - you get everything you qualify for. I believe it has something to do with your best salaries for a certain number of years during your working life. They never take any of it away. Its Old Age Security that you get some taken back if you earn too much:

"Here's how it works. If your taxable income is greater than $56,960, you will have to pay back a portion of the OAS benefit to the government. The clawback is equal to 15% of your income over the $56,960 threshold which may not seem like much, but it can be quite costly for people in higher income brackets. If your taxable income is greater than $92,380, the clawback will totally eliminate the OAS benefit."

Here is the whole article for anyone who is interested

http://www.fiscalagents.com/newslett...clawback.shtml

Seems to me if you are earning $93,000, you don't really need the Old Age Security.

Maybe she is a troll - just out to cause trouble!!

Alberta_Rose Nov 10th 2006 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheVickers
This is a post on the settlement.org webste by a member called Angie...interesting read

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/to...&TOPIC_ID=3766

I note that you haven't made any comment on this yourself.

You are in Ontario, how are you finding it? Do relate to this "interesting read" you posted? What do you think of other people's reactions to it?

Or do you prefer to "light the blue touchpaper and stand well clear" ?

andy_sheila Nov 10th 2006 3:40 pm

This is a post on the settlement.org webste by a member called Angie...interesting read

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/to...&TOPIC_ID=3766

I noticed a lot of 'ranting' and 'lawyers' mentioned in her post - which leads me to wonder if it might be her bad attitude that's causing her grief?
as the old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey than vinagar"

willmore Nov 10th 2006 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I noticed a lot of 'ranting' and 'lawyers' mentioned in her post - which leads me to wonder if it might be her bad attitude that's causing her grief?

Or vinegar (or so they say!) ;)

dbd33 Nov 10th 2006 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila

Certainly anyone who had reason to deal with lawyers in Ontario would have good cause to wish he or she had chosen suicide over emigration. I wrote to one of mine this very morning, "dealing with you people makes me feel dirty, and I say that as someone who regularly mucks horse stalls". Still, not everyone in Ontario is a lawyer, there are also much better people; prostitutes, paedophiles, wife beaters, salespeople for pyramid investment schemes. People who have a moral compass.

Souvenir Nov 10th 2006 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wrote to one of mine this very morning, "dealing with you people makes me feel dirty, and I say that as someone who regularly mucks horse stalls".

Priceless!!!!!!!

dbd33 Nov 10th 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Priceless!!!!!!!

I hope she'll be flattered.

steve666 Nov 10th 2006 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hope she'll be flattered.

I think she may want to marry you, you smooootthh talker you, (after your divorce that is). Think of her as a challenge, or are you still a 'wimp'?

TheVickers Nov 10th 2006 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I note that you haven't made any comment on this yourself.

You are in Ontario, how are you finding it? Do relate to this "interesting read" you posted? What do you think of other people's reactions to it?

Or do you prefer to "light the blue touchpaper and stand well clear" ?

We like the area we live in, although I don't particularly find the people that genuine, or that friendly, I have gone out of my way to strike up conversations, invite people to my house for tea/coffee but nothing has come of it. I was on the settlement.org to try and find a newcomers meeting or something similar.

I was speaking to my neighbour over the road who asked me if I thought the people here were conservative and introvert, they are Canadian and they thought they were.

We were suprised by the cost of car insurance and that our 9 years no claims certificates weren't worth a thing but just put it down to experience.

The biggest thing for us is employment, my husband has yet to find a job and we have been here 5 months. He has applied for numerous jobs, joined numerous agencies, we have befriended people who work in IT companies who have forwarded his resume on, we have really gone out of our way to network which is hard considering you have no one to network with.

DH has an interview on Monday with the City of Guelph, the closing date was October 2nd so the waiting period is very long. Its fine that things may be slower here for filling positions but you can't live on your savings indefinitely.

So at the moment we are trying to figure out if we stay or go. We have put a deadline on for mid January for hubbie finding work or he will go home as he can step back into his old job and I will stay and clear things up, we are kind of leaving it up to fate at the minute.

This experience has made us realise who important family & friends are though, when we first applied we didn't have a baby and now we have a 22 month old and no support system around you it definitely complicates things.

time will tell I guess.

Alberta_Rose Nov 10th 2006 6:58 pm

....time will tell I guess.

Well, good luck with it. The job situation definitely makes a difference, wherever you are!

TheVickers Nov 10th 2006 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Well, good luck with it. The job situation definitely makes a difference, wherever you are!

very true!

dbd33 Nov 10th 2006 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by steve666
I think she may want to marry you, you smooootthh talker you, (after your divorce that is). Think of her as a challenge, or are you still a 'wimp'?

I've been at this divorce, earnestly, thousand of dollars a month in legal fees, since October of 2003. It's going at that slow pace immigrants want from Canada. Given the pace of things administrative here and that I'm no longer a teenager I think it pointless to worry about what would happen if I lived to see the end of it.

steve666 Nov 10th 2006 7:17 pm

What the HELL am I talking about!!

dbd33 Nov 11th 2006 11:14 am

What the HELL am I talking about!!

Dunno but you asked if I was still a wimp, I think so. This week I spent an evening at the show jumping and saw the chick flick Marie Antoinette. Beat that!