Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

living in Moosejaw

living in Moosejaw

Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default living in Moosejaw

Have been looking at Moosejaw and checking the house prices.Just wondered why you seem to get quite a lot for your money.It looks like the majority if not all look to be made out of wood,is this right.I have seen 2 storey 5 bed all nice size rooms for around $70.000.Also what is it like to live in this area for families(i have 4 kids 3-13).

Deanno
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: living in Moosejaw

Originally Posted by deannos
It looks like the majority if not all look to be made out of wood,is this right.
Standard construction method for Canada is wood frame.

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 11th 2007 at 3:33 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

CoreyCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. 90% of houses in Canada are made of wood. Moose Jaw is very nice. I have been there number of times and lived close by. It is a small city of around 60,000 people. Its 45 minute drive to the bigger city of Regina. Moose Jaw use to be a retirement town but there are a lot of families living there now. Its not a hustle and bustle exciting city, but it has everything a person needs. Low crime rate and a safe place for kids to grow up.

House prices have gone up a lot there in the last few years, but they were some of the lowest in Canada before. That is only because Saskatchewan was a very quiet province and did not have a lot of population growth.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:38 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in Moose Jaw in June and we thought about buying a home there but as OH is working North of Regina, we figured it was a bit too far to drive for him in the winter(-40!!)

It really was a lovely town though and some of the older character homes are gorgeous.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Moose Jaw is really a nice town. It's small but it has most things you might really need. Has a mall, has a really nice pool - Kinsmen Arena - with a water slide etc. Has the spa too.

http://www.templegardens.sk.ca/

There are no reserves around Moose Jaw so you don't have a native problem - at least that is what I have heard.

Here is one of those nice old houses

living in Moosejaw-dscn1978.jpg
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

thought regina had high crime rates. type in crime rates into canadian google site and see what you come up with. maybe i am wrong.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

We are talking about Moose Jaw!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

but if emigrating to moose jaw, how much job prospects does it have.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

since i will have £40 000 to start with and give or take £30 000 by the time i have paid for flights, removals and working off a few months rent, ect. how far will this go to start a new life
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:30 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Visiting Moose Jaw - Accommodation

Can anyone help me?

We are ending our recci trip with 48 hours in Moose Jaw. As we want to smuggle a bit of cheese and bacon home we are looking for a hotel/motel/room for the night before flying home with a freezer...

Can anyone give us any clues or point us in the right direction to achieve said goal?

Many thanks

Dawn
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:41 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

You want to smuggle cheese and bacon out of Canada? Why?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:49 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

I have been residing in Moose Jaw since our arrival here in 1987, from London. Fabulous for families. Housing is on the rise, but still less than other provinces. Lots to do for kids and adults, lots of sporting facilities etc. I rarely go to Regina for anything, in fact last trip was about ten years ago!
We depend mostly on the good fortunes of the surrounding farming communities, when they make good money (sic) so do we all, so to speak. Oil and gas exploration is now well underway, with many spin-off opportunities. This is what has really been driving the house prices up. So far I have been communicating with three families who are well on their way to making a new life here. By the way "Harrypottermouse" PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me. I will get you fixed up with reasonable digs for your visit, and I will show you the best fish and chips (Irish pub) west of Devon!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:05 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
That's what I was wondering .... cheese and bacon being the most disappointing foods one can find in Canada.......
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:44 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CoreyCanada
Yes. 90% of houses in Canada are made of wood. Moose Jaw is very nice. I have been there number of times and lived close by. It is a small city of around 60,000 people. Its 45 minute drive to the bigger city of Regina. Moose Jaw use to be a retirement town but there are a lot of families living there now. Its not a hustle and bustle exciting city, but it has everything a person needs. Low crime rate and a safe place for kids to grow up.

House prices have gone up a lot there in the last few years, but they were some of the lowest in Canada before. That is only because Saskatchewan was a very quiet province and did not have a lot of population growth.
Actually Corey, our population is about 30500 - I just wish it was 60,000!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:01 am
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of
Default Smuggling

Originally Posted by bazzz
We can't get Roast Red Pepper Philadelphia and all those other gorgeous flavours here and so we extend our holiday by bringing that back and a bit of Maple Smoked Bacon....

I do a lot of work with disadvantaged children too and it is nice for them to try other foods for a change that they might not have the opportunity to try.

We freeze it down along with cool blocks stuff it deep in the suitcase then in the hold and usually it stays ok....till we get home then its dumped straight back in the freezer.

Hope that explains my reasons....

Dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.