Reload this Page >

LIVING IN GOLDEN BC

LIVING IN GOLDEN BC

Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

olivia1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LIVING IN GOLDEN BC

Hi.
Has anyone got any experience of living or working in golden bc,if so would you recommend as a family relocation.
thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN GOLDEN BC

Originally Posted by olivia1
Hi.
Has anyone got any experience of living or working in golden bc,if so would you recommend as a family relocation.
thanks
Welcome to BE. Have you been to Golden?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:01 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Been through there and stayed there a few times. It's pretty isolated from just about anything. Nice setting on the Kicking Horse Pass. Other than tourism and sking, I doubt there's much work there. The town itself is very small and like many other small towns, as its share of problems.

I couldn't live there.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

What are your reasons for selecting Golden?
This is really just a stop off town for people travelleing between Alberta and BC. Mainly service economy and not a place i'd ever consider to live.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

olivia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.
Thanks for the response, ive been there skiing to kicking horse, but what you see on holiday and what reallity are like on a every day basis are two different things i suppose.
would anyone recommend the vancouver area, have been there once in 07, im a carpenter, so would assume work is easier to find there.

thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

You seem to be all over the place and basing potential destinations on vacation memories, big mistake. As for Vancouver, it's the most expensive city in North America, so even with a carpenter job i'm not sure you'll have enough money to live there.
The economy in Canada is not that strong compared to 2-3 years ago.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fowler71
As for Vancouver, it's the most expensive city in North America
That's hard to believe.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:36 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fowler71
You seem to be all over the place and basing potential destinations on vacation memories, big mistake. As for Vancouver, it's the most expensive city in North America, so even with a carpenter job i'm not sure you'll have enough money to live there.
The economy in Canada is not that strong compared to 2-3 years ago.
Of course you can afford to live around Vancouver, you just won't be able to get a nice 5 acre country estate.

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's hard to believe.
Well, as housing prices are the most unaffordable in the world at the moment in Vancouver, I believe it.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Of course you can afford to live around Vancouver, you just won't be able to get a nice 5 acre country estate.

Well, as housing prices are the most unaffordable in the world at the moment in Vancouver, I believe it.
I think Manhattan in New York City is a pretty spendy place to buy a house.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Also San Francisco.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:57 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Not meaning to be overly picky, but Manhattan is a borough, not a City (but even picking a nice NYC location, it is close):

An 815-square-foot, one-bedroom apartment is on sale for C$879,000, which works out to C$1,078 per square foot, or $12 higher than the average price in Manhattan
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5064551500.htm

Also, in an international affordability study:

http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

New York comes in at 16th. Either way, not disagreeing with you. Vancouver and Manhattan are both very pricey places to buy property!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

I haven't seen a house in Manhattan. You mean a flat or apartment?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Not meaning to be overly picky, but Manhattan is a borough, not a City (but even picking a nice NYC location, it is close):
I don't mean to be picky either but I didn't say it was a city.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

An 815-square-foot, one-bedroom apartment is on sale for C$879,000, which works out to C$1,078 per square foot, or $12 higher than the average price in Manhattan
I read this as "there's one apartment in Vancouver that costs more than the average for Manhattan" i.e. Vancouver's generally cheaper. Expensive for being in Canada, of course.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:13 pm
Temporary Canuck

I don't mean to be picky either but I didn't say it was a city.
Sorry, mixed up your response with dbd's about Van being a city.

It still isn't really representative of a City though, cherry picking a single borough that is even more expensive than an already ridiculously expensive city (and if one were looking at getting a Manhattan apartment, then I'm guessing there aren't too many massive financial constraints going on). You would be better off comparing Gastown apartments in Vancouver, with somewhere like Manhattan, rather than Vancouver.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I read this as "there's one apartment in Vancouver that costs more than the average for Manhattan" i.e. Vancouver's generally cheaper. Expensive for being in Canada, of course.
Quite possibly the case. These kind of reports are often based on 'for sale' prices as well, which furthur skews the information - just because I say my bunch of bananas is worth $200 doesn't make it representative. The housing affordability study does ring true though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.