Reload this Page >

Living in Canada

Living in Canada

Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

kirbyking46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Canada

Originally Posted by kate 17
I"m not far away from Toronto and I have also lived in Alberta. I'm going home soon and I am soooooooooooooo happy about that.

What I hate about Canada

It's boring, every town and city looks just about the same. They have areas with big box stores all all laid out exactly the same.

The winters are long, cold and everything looks brown and sterile for months on end.

The TV is abysmal what Canadians find funny defeats me. Last year, I had a holiday in the UK and laughed so hard at at that mock the week show I had aching ribs. It's more than I have laughed at anything in all the years in Canada.

The food isn't great, mostly imported from the US. It's so mass produced that it loses flavour.

There are a lot of people who are really obsessed with ice hockey and country music.

The shopping is terrible, most small towns are selling 70's decor or clothing.

Canadians on the whole are passive agressive. I prefer people to say what they really think.

On the other hand, it's good for cheap holidays to the Carribean. It's a safe place to bring up kids.

If you come for a couple of years it will be alright,but my advice is not to think that you are making a permanant move.
Hmmm...
Amazing response to a simple question. Is this really about Canada or is it about a dream gone sour? There are issues with canada just like any other country but objectivity is called for in responding to the above the response needs to be balanced, if one's own issues threaten to interfere with the response then self examination is called for. Has the Canadian dream gone sour?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
I have been living in Canada for 8 years - visiting for 2 years before that ... I believe the honeymoon period is over by now, lol.

There ARE things I miss about the UK, don't get me wrong! Overall though, I would rather be here than there
Apologies. I read your signature to mean you had been here since January.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well here is a quick response to some things that have been said.

I don't see the Uk through rose tinted specs at all. The UK though, doesn't pretend to the world that they are anything other than a hard case not that it excuses them. The orphans sent to Canada and Australia was just wicked, but I suppose the government wanted to colonise their colonies so there was a reason. However, what excuse does Canada have for the residential schools other than wanton cruelty against indigeneous people?

Then the seal hunt. Baby lambs are not clubbed to death in front of their mothers on the green hills of Britain are they?

Then the hunting is sheer sport, not just to put food in the freezer. That they eat he food is no excuse. It's wrong that rich Brits shoot birds as well.
However in Canada it's on a bigger scale all across the country. Just look what happened to the buffalo.

The airport incident happened to a tourist who was confused. He wasn't there after a major terrorist incident in the capitol like the Brazilian was. I do deplore the Brazilian getting shot for nothing though.

It's like the Canadians prey on the weak. certainly the weak are treated badly.Just look what happens if you need benefits or how the old with nothing are treated in so called state nursing homes!

A high five to the bloke who can see what I see. We do live in a hyprocritical society.

Movies on.....that's enough for now.
Watch the door does not hit you on the arse on your way out.....I would respectfully suggest that a parting of the ways with Canada would be mutually beneficial....
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Canada's great if you actually want to be here, if you don't, you'll find every reason to hate it...
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

for a big City , Toronto is very safe , theres not much knife crime , though there is gun play - theres approx 60 murders per year in Toronto a city of just over $2m.

Theres a lot of nightlife, ethnic neighbourhoods and cuisine from all over the world. Toronto also does not suffer from London prices.

We obviously have 4 seasons here and if you are downton Toronto , live and work there you may not need a car except if you want to get out of the City.

Forget everyone else's comments,its all SUBJECTIVE, FFS if you are worried about the TV - download stuff. Your not coming to Canada to Live in Britain on the other side of the Atlantic, its a different country with its own charms and aggravations.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Interested
Canada's great if you actually want to be here, if you don't, you'll find every reason to hate it...
Worth repeating.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Twice.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikki2010
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, we are looking at possibly moving to canada, at the minute my partner has been offered a couple of interviews for jobs in Toronto. I just want to get a general feel of how people find living in canada especially Toronto.
Financially I've had a quick look at rentals and it seems a 2 bed is around $1000, please correct me if I'm wrong?

If anybody can tell me their pet hates living there or loves that would be brilliant

Thanks
I think the only major problem with Canada is really that you have to choose an area where there's jobs.

If you're looking for entry level jobs it's pretty rough at the moment, as I have several friends on EI who have been unemployed for over 6 months. It was never "easy" to find a job but it's gotten a bit worse lately. The GTA is pretty much over-saturated for professional jobs as well. If you're in the health profession you can have a look at Healthforce Ontario to see what's available.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you have employment secured before you move over.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you want to be here or not I disagree with the assertion that Canada as a nation state is great. Where's the greatness?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I"m not far away from Toronto and I have also lived in Alberta. I'm going home soon and I am soooooooooooooo happy about that.

What I hate about Canada

It's boring, every town and city looks just about the same. They have areas with big box stores all all laid out exactly the same.

The winters are long, cold and everything looks brown and sterile for months on end.

The TV is abysmal what Canadians find funny defeats me. Last year, I had a holiday in the UK and laughed so hard at at that mock the week show I had aching ribs. It's more than I have laughed at anything in all the years in Canada.

The food isn't great, mostly imported from the US. It's so mass produced that it loses flavour.

There are a lot of people who are really obsessed with ice hockey and country music.

The shopping is terrible, most small towns are selling 70's decor or clothing.

Canadians on the whole are passive agressive. I prefer people to say what they really think.

On the other hand, it's good for cheap holidays to the Carribean. It's a safe place to bring up kids.

If you come for a couple of years it will be alright,but my advice is not to think that you are making a permanant move.
lol, you sound like you are rating a hotel.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
I think the only major problem with Canada is really that you have to choose an area where there's jobs.

If you're looking for entry level jobs it's pretty rough at the moment, as I have several friends on EI who have been unemployed for over 6 months. It was never "easy" to find a job but it's gotten a bit worse lately. The GTA is pretty much over-saturated for professional jobs as well. If you're in the health profession you can have a look at Healthforce Ontario to see what's available.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you have employment secured before you move over.
That is often true that people either choose an area because that's where the most jobs are for a certain profession or they get recruited by a company so the area chooses them.
We chose to live where we do because we liked it and it seemed to be everything we wanted. The jobs came after we moved. It could have backfired but it didn't so we got lucky.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by printer
That is often true that people either choose an area because that's where the most jobs are for a certain profession or they get recruited by a company so the area chooses them.
We chose to live where we do because we liked it and it seemed to be everything we wanted. The jobs came after we moved. It could have backfired but it didn't so we got lucky.
I think you guys are very lucky! But hey that's how life is sometimes.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
I think you guys are very lucky! But hey that's how life is sometimes.
I didn't see the point of swapping the UK rush hour scramble for a Toronto or Vancouver equivalent. I likewise had no intention of choosing my destination based purely on close proximity to UK.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:44 am
Just Joined

nikki2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your responses. I want to hear the negative as welll so thats great. We are originally from the UK but are already living as expats and found when we moved away from the UK we missed very few things in particular about back home, obviously other than friends and family and strangely supermarkets. We are now not that happy where we are, but before rushing into thinking the grass is greener we want to check.
Season wise in particular in toronto are we really talking dark depresssing long winters or a normal winter but propery cold and grey and more than likely snow? Also how is the cost of living compared to the UK? I get the feeling it is cheaper?

Thanks again
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki2010
Also how is the cost of living compared to the UK? I get the feeling it is cheaper?
Nope, generally about the same as in the UK. Some things cheaper but some more expensive, so it evens out. If you do a search for 'cost of living Toronto', you'll find loads of threads about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.