Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Living on 40,000 $ (canadian) in Toronto?

Living on 40,000 $ (canadian) in Toronto?

Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on 40,000 $ (canadian) in Toronto?

Originally Posted by nfitz
No Thrills, it's decent enough.
It's a bit grim. The one at the Welfare Mall (opposite the Matty Eckler pool) is cleaner.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:18 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to, but have had to post divorce. With four kids at the time and less than that coming in, I had to go the food bank in the end. Embarrassing.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a bit grim. The one at the Welfare Mall (opposite the Matty Eckler pool) is cleaner.
Well, it's an old building, and not the newest interior. But it always seems clean enough - I never stick to the floors I've certainly seen a lot worse! Ah yes, forgot the Food Basics in Gerrard Square - I'd say they are about the same really. Though Gerrard Square is under a major redevelopment, I happened to be in there yesterday, and was quite impressed with how far it's come! There's a huge Home Depot in there now, and a good-size Staples upstairs. Winners is about to open a very large store upstairs. Zellars is getting a main entrance right off Gerrard Street, that entire streetscape looks a lot more civilized now that they've put windows all along Gerrard Street. Not sure if the Zellars and the Food Basics are going to be renovated or not; but pretty much the entire rest of the mall has been, or is being. But I think we digress ...

Nick
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:29 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

From your kindergarten link:

To register your child the school will need:

proof of age, such as a birth certificate or passport
proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, passport, Record of Landing, or Permanent Resident Card
proof of immunization
proof of custody
proof of address, such as lease agreement or utility bill with your name and address.

I don't think the thread starter will be able to meet requirement #2.
I am here in Ontario on a work permit (we haven't yet got our PPR or record of landing) and two of my children attend school, one eight year old and one four year old in kindergarten. Your eldest will be able to start kindergarten with no problems.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's an old building, and not the newest interior. But it always seems clean enough - I never stick to the floors I've certainly seen a lot worse! Ah yes, forgot the Food Basics in Gerrard Square - I'd say they are about the same really. Though Gerrard Square is under a major redevelopment, I happened to be in there yesterday, and was quite impressed with how far it's come! There's a huge Home Depot in there now, and a good-size Staples upstairs. Winners is about to open a very large store upstairs. Zellars is getting a main entrance right off Gerrard Street, that entire streetscape looks a lot more civilized now that they've put windows all along Gerrard Street. Not sure if the Zellars and the Food Basics are going to be renovated or not; but pretty much the entire rest of the mall has been, or is being. But I think we digress ...

Nick
Not so much. Food Basics, No Frills and Price Chopper are pretty desperate places. Renovated or not, the Welfare Mall is a dump. Even the Loblaws on Leslie is pretty run down, the a car breaker's yard opposite hints that it's not on one of the city's better blocks. If these are the sorts of places one can live on forty grand then it might be better to look elsewhere.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

Not so much. Food Basics, No Frills and Price Chopper are pretty desperate places. Renovated or not, the Welfare Mall is a dump. Even the Loblaws on Leslie is pretty run down, the a car breaker's yard opposite hints that it's not on one of the city's better blocks. If these are the sorts of places one can live on forty grand then it might be better to look elsewhere.
I heartily disagree! I certainly wouldn't call it a dump! Compared to other places I've seen, in India, in Cambodia, in Thailand, in Indonesia, and even in parts of the USA, I'd say it's a half-decent place to live! Lots of families. Low crime rates. Safe neighbourhoods. Sure a heck a lot more liveable than the unending dullness of suburbia such as Mississauga. Yes, Leslie and Eastern is somewhat industrial ... but what with the Hell's Angels HQ just down the road, you know your not going to get mugged! And in some of those neighbourhoods, you can live on a lot less than $40,000 ... heck there are 3-bedroom houses in some of those areas for less than $200,000 still .... but a few feet away will be a cluster of houses at $400,000 to $500,000. It's quite a mixed neighbourhood.

Nick
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

$40,000 for a family of four in Toronto? Ugh. That is approx what HB and I lived on when we first moved up here. We were fortunate enough to find a good deal on a 1 bedroom apartment and, similar to the OP, did not have a car (still don’t). So it was do-able but not always fun. Frankly, I don’t want to think about what it would have been like with 2 kids to feed and clothe. I realize there are families that make do with $40,000 or much less, as other posters have mentioned, but I wouldn’t choose to do it, which it seems to be the case of the OP.

Also, I don’t think $1200 is at all out of line for a 2 bedroom apartment in Toronto. You can go to www.viewit.ca and get an idea of what sort of apartments you can get for what price.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I heartily disagree! I certainly wouldn't call it a dump! Compared to other places I've seen, in India, in Cambodia, in Thailand, in Indonesia, and even in parts of the USA, I'd say it's a half-decent place to live!
It was specifically the Welfare Mall I mentioned as being a dump, not the entire east end. Still, I'll leave that faint praise to damn it.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:04 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

How would, for example, 20k work out in NS?
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

It was specifically the Welfare Mall I mentioned as being a dump, not the entire east end. Still, I'll leave that faint praise to damn it.
Odd, I'd have thought Leslie and Eastern was a lot more dumpish than Gerrard Square; now I must confess, I never saw it before renovations started (which seem to have been going on forever now); but I don't see much difference between that Home Depot and any other ... that's certainly the main anchor these days ... and the cause of much of the vehicular traffic heading in and out. The portions where the original floor and ceilings have yet to be redone certainly feel very 1970's ... but I wouldn't say a dump!

Nick

Last edited by nfitz; Mar 14th 2006 at 6:25 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by 1066
How would, for example, 20k work out in NS?
Even worse. I lived on approx $30,000 in Halifax by myself (i.e., no HB or dependants) for a year and it was not fun. Contrary to what you might expect, utility bills and food are not noticeably cheaper in NS, and are in some cases more expensive. Apartments can be quite cheap if you live outside the city centre, but unless you can manage to schedule your life around infrequent bus schedules you will have to buy a car, which eats up most of what you would save by living further out.

Have you been offered a job for $20,000 in NS? I don't know your situation (age, training/experience, dependants, etc), but would suggest a place that offered that sort of salary is trying to pull a fast one on the new immigrant. My first job out of university paid more than that and I would not take a company seriously that offered what are essentially poverty-line wages for a full-time position demanding some sort of work experience.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

. Odd, I'd have thought Leslie and Eastern was a lot more dumpish than Gerrard Square; now I must confess, I never saw it before renovations started (which seem to have been going on forever now); but I don't see much difference between that Home Depot and any other ... that's certainly the main anchor these days ... and the cause of much of the vehicular traffic heading in and out. The portions where the original floor and ceilings have yet to be redone certainly feel very 1970's ... but I wouldn't say a dump!

Nick
Before being a Home Depot that space was empty for a while, before that it was a Sears store. The other stores were all dollar stores and the like so, I suppose, a Winners (TJMaxx in the US/UK) is a step up market, though not very far. That's a tough block for stores, the pizza-pizza lost its franchise and is now pizza-pide (or some such), the perogie store went bust and is now Tina's nails (actually a rub and tug), the Korean greengrocers went bust and is empty. The only thriving enterprise there is the Turkish Canadian Islamic Centre. Even the beggar outside the liquor store bitches that times have been better. All in all, it's rather like Cricklewood.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

(TJMaxx in the US/UK)
For some reason it's called T *K* Maxx in the UK. I can just picture the meeting about that one... "What shall we call our operation in the UK? Something radical, new and fresh...?"
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:09 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Even worse. I lived on approx $30,000 in Halifax by myself (i.e., no HB or dependants) for a year and it was not fun. Contrary to what you might expect, utility bills and food are not noticeably cheaper in NS, and are in some cases more expensive. Apartments can be quite cheap if you live outside the city centre, but unless you can manage to schedule your life around infrequent bus schedules you will have to buy a car, which eats up most of what you would save by living further out.

Have you been offered a job for $20,000 in NS? I don't know your situation (age, training/experience, dependants, etc), but would suggest a place that offered that sort of salary is trying to pull a fast one on the new immigrant. My first job out of university paid more than that and I would not take a company seriously that offered what are essentially poverty-line wages for a full-time position demanding some sort of work experience.
Thanks, and no, I haven't been offered a job....it's just that past posts have led me to think that this is about the best I can expect....
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
For some reason it's called T *K* Maxx in the UK. I can just picture the meeting about that one... "What shall we call our operation in the UK? Something radical, new and fresh...?"
Oh, sorry. I don't know a lot about shopping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.