Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

LinkedIn advise for getting work in Canada

LinkedIn advise for getting work in Canada

Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:30 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LinkedIn advise for getting work in Canada

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Even if I'm not currently in Canada at the moment?
Yep, 100 %. Get a random postcode of the location you are interested in and put it on your profile as your current address. That way you will get more targeted results in any search you conduct on LI and will appear under searches that other people conduct from around that location.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:33 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Definitely yes to Canada location.

SB
I would have to disagree with that, once a potential employer finds out you've lied about your location it can call into question has anything else been lied about on the profile?

I would suggest in the summary outlining a time line of when you could move to Canada should you secure a role. When I was looking for work here, I planned a trip out sent a ton of resumes to companies whether they were advertising or not with the dates of when I would be available to meet and a timeline of how quickly I could move to Vancouver (granted this last part was a little different for me as I have Canadian Citizenship)

Best bet is to be honest, connect with lots of people and when you do send a request personalise it; I am more likely to connect with someone if they tell me why they want to connect as opposed to the generic template.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 8:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the sector.

Some industries, it's massively helpful, but in others it's not so much.
This.

I don't put a huge amount of effort into it, but I do get a steady trickle of recruiters approaching me with potentially interesting positions.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely yes to Canada location.

SB
I would say unquestionably no. If you get called for an interview at short notice, asked for a phone number or address to mail something to, or you have to mail something to them, you'd be easily found out.

As an employer, as soon as I found out a candidate had misled me or tried to, I would immediately ditch their application. It would bring into question any other information they had given me, such as their ability to do the job.

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 28th 2014 at 10:46 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would say unquestionably no. If you get called for an interview at short notice, asked for a phone number or address to mails something to, or you have to mail something to them, you'd be easily found out.

As an employer, as soon as I found out a candidate had mislead me or tried to, I would immediately ditch their application. It would bring into question any other information they had given me, such as their ability to do the job.
+1
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I would say unquestionably no. If you get called for an interview at short notice, asked for a phone number or address to mails something to, or you have to mail something to them, you'd be easily found out.

As an employer, as soon as I found out a candidate had mislead me or tried to, I would immediately ditch their application. It would bring into question any other information they had given me, such as their ability to do the job.
(Disclaimer: as I have mentioned before, LI is not (yet) a major source of candidates, or jobs in my sector/region. I'm also no longer on the hiring side)

I DON'T endorse the fake post code suggestion above. And while I see your point, if I were to check out potential candidates on LI, I would be inclined to dismiss any not listed in Canada. I would, in most circumstances, be sympathetic to a reply saying "I'm out of the country right now, but am available from x (not to far in the future) date".

Seems like a vicious circle, eh?

SB
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

(Disclaimer: as I have mentioned before, LI is not (yet) a major source of candidates, or jobs in my sector/region. I'm also no longer on the hiring side)

I DON'T endorse the fake post code suggestion above. And while I see your point, if I were to check out potential candidates on LI, I would be inclined to dismiss any not listed in Canada. I would, in most circumstances, be sympathetic to a reply saying "I'm out of the country right now, but am available from x (not to far in the future) date".

Seems like a vicious circle, eh?

SB
If the candidate was a Canadian or PR holder and have lived in Canada, that's one thing. If they are someone who has no status in Canada and wants to mover here, that is another.

I am sure there is room somewhere on this site to state that one is looking to relocate and to where.

Never use it myself, but deciept is not a good way to start off a working relationship.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't quite figured out the usefulness of LinkedIn yet, doesn't seem too relevant for the hotel industry in general though, so far the only thing its provided me is a steady stream of spam reminding me to log on and visit the site.

I am sure its more useful the higher up the chain one goes if so desired, but for lower entry level jobs, seems pretty useless to me, but I may just not understand how the whole site is supposed to even work.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 2:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I haven't quite figured out the usefulness of LinkedIn yet, doesn't seem too relevant for the hotel industry in general though, so far the only thing its provided me is a steady stream of spam reminding me to log on and visit the site.

I am sure its more useful the higher up the chain one goes if so desired, but for lower entry level jobs, seems pretty useless to me, but I may just not understand how the whole site is supposed to even work.
It's good for students to keep in contact with their networks and look for intern opportunities. It's good for senior folks especially those already with a network.

It's less good for junior/entry roles but as your contacts move on and upwards, it could help in the future.

But yes, it's definitely not great in every sector.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's good for students to keep in contact with their networks and look for intern opportunities. It's good for senior folks especially those already with a network.

It's less good for junior/entry roles but as your contacts move on and upwards, it could help in the future.

But yes, it's definitely not great in every sector.
yes, I suppose it helps if one has an actual network of people...lol
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That seems a bit over the top drastic. Your link refers to one practitioner's thoughtlessness; it seems overkill to tar every LinkedIn user with the same brush. I would agree with you that "endorsements" are very largely pointless - but they're easily ignored.

When I was last jobhunting just over a year ago, LinkedIn was by far and away the single most helpful online resource. Of course, there are the actual job postings (LinkedIn has a massive recruitment advertising business) but almost more important were the ability to seek referrals and request "information meetings" with individuals at one remove from my own network, and to research people and companies in preparation for interviews.

Many people, even if they don't use LinkedIn regularly, will be happy to chat over a coffee with somebody who has approached them through a mutual LinkedIn connection, to pick their brains about an industry, a company, a sector...

My advice to Beckiwoo: don't start out with a "gissa job" approach. Join relevant groups, follow relevant organizations, contribute to discussions, get to know the characters. In particular, seek out "closed" groups rather than public groups, as the latter tend to be spam-magnets. Explain to the group's owner or moderator why you want to join.

Once you're "in the network," ask for meetings (virtual, phone or face-to-face if you're travelling to Canada - istr you're not here yet) to discuss particular topics (say "I'd love to get your help in understanding the xyz aspect of residential childcare" rather than "I'm looking for a job, do you know anybody who's recruiting?").

Above all, don't think for a moment that LinkedIn is a substitute for pounding the pavement. It is a means to an end - securing face-to-face meetings with potential recruiters or people who can refer you to potential recruiters. That's when the work really starts...
I totally 110 percent agree with Oakvillian here.

My only additional advise is that people in health care, youth care etc tend to not use or rely on LinkedIn as much as the commercial industries.

Definitely worth a look Beckiwoo but not sure it is the right place for your industry. None the less it may be worth asking anyone you can link up with where the best places to go are.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 6:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I totally 110 percent agree with Oakvillian here.

My only additional advise is that people in health care, youth care etc tend to not use or rely on LinkedIn as much as the commercial industries.

Definitely worth a look Beckiwoo but not sure it is the right place for your industry. None the less it may be worth asking anyone you can link up with where the best places to go are.

Thank you. Do you have any advice where might be the best to look in the health care/youth industry apart from the old fashioned cold calling?
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Thank you. Do you have any advice where might be the best to look in the health care/youth industry apart from the old fashioned cold calling?
Sadly not.

It's a world away from what I do and I do not know many in that industry this side of the pond.

I'd probably start at their associations or unions if they exist.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:40 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I used LinkedIn and it got me the contacts that led to my current job and my move to Canada. I am not sure if it would be useful for the healthcare sector?, but couldn't do any harm to join?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:49 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested and pleased that some have had positive experiences with LinkedIn...I've always been somewhat tepid about it myself, but then I'm not so keen on Facebook either.

Just recently the company I work for have been looking for a couple of engineers, and we advertised on Career Beacon, but got lots of applications via LinkedIn, which screwed up the Resumes something chronic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.